Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Yep. I don't consider myself a fast runner, having just gotten back into it, and having never done track or cross country past 6th grade, but when I'm out on the trails near me I have so far encountered all of two people over the age of 25 moving at a noticeably quicker pace than I am. (Actually, one of them wasn't moving faster than me but that's because he was practicing an exaggerated light foot strike barefoot, but he could clearly have dusted me with shoes on). I suspect a lot of us are "faster" than we think and there's a steep and wide bell curve where most of us are within a few minutes/mile of 75% of the running population. Don't let those guys who tell you you're a punter if you're not running 6 minute miles into your head - those are lifelongers who put in 30 miles/week.

I went poking around at a few race and fun run results pages recently to get a sense for how I might stack up with others in a timed run. I can tell you after some research that even in an "event" type of race - meaning not your suburban community Fun Run or local Turkey Trot, but races where there are hundreds of joggers in shorter runs tied to a half-marathon or something, and participants from a radius of beyond 25 miles - less than a quarter of the people over 30 years old in your average 10k are finishing in less than 50 minutes. If you can run 6 miles at 7:45/mile you'll finish around the top 15 percent; 9:00 miles will probably be in the top half in a group comprised primarily of people who run a lot and trained specifically for this race.

There's probably some truth to what I've seen from some experts, that if you're running 12 minute miles you'd probably get a better workout that puts a lot less stress on your body by just walking faster than normal. But for most people, if you're getting your heart rate raised for even 25 minutes several days a week to jog 2 and a half miles, that's a huge thing. And for the most part your calorie burn doesn't vary much based on your pace - it's the time spent exercising, and the basal metabolic rate increase, that matter more.
    Well, said, Mal.

Those 12 minute miles (2:45/100 swims, 14mph road cycling rides) don't last for very long if you keep at it with any regularity. And who cares what your pace is? Are you exercising? THAT's what matters.

Your calorie burn is probably about 100 calories per mile whether you run or walk. Three miles is about 300 calories, whether you did it in 18 minutes or a leisurely hour's stroll. Just do it, regardless of your pace.

So I've added some tempo/negative splits to my normal daily mile and also decided to do some body weight exercises. I've definitely gotten a bit faster on my mile runs. I'm also doing 25 sit ups and 10 push ups a day right before bed. Yesterday I started adding some different ab exercises with the sit ups. Only been doing it a week but noticing the exercises have gotten easier. I'm really wondering if these micro workouts are going to show substantial results over time. It does take a fair bit of mental discipline to exercise every single day, but just doing a couple of things daily for maybe 15 total minutes is working well for someone like me who doesn't have much free time.
    "There can BE only one."

Smile interval training--workout forum

Hi yall, hope you won't mind me jumping in here--I own a fitness consulting business in Raleigh and have been a Duke fan since I was 4--both my folks went to Duke--my dad to Duke Medical too and all his other training.

Body weight strength training is making a comeback. Short intense bouts of work have been documented to show significant progress in terms of making fitness gains, helping with speed, agility and overall performance--the key is obviously quality of workout. By having the body work harder for shorter periods of time, the muscles recruit more and thus more calories are used. Some circles call this HIIT training--but it's very effective. it's also good for injury prevention and overall muscle stability and strength. Not dogging running--but the body needs more to challenge itself to get fit--running alone isn't enough.

Having said that--Im not a runner but have worked with runners a lot as well as other athletes. I was a competitive swimmer for years and have done triathalons--and lot of fitness things. Happy to help answer any questions.

I also have an online forum in which I post workouts, motivation and support and such if anyone wants info.

Summer is 45 days away approximately--so it's the perfect time to mix things up.

Quote Originally Posted by alliecatdevil View Post
    I also have an online forum in which I post workouts, motivation and support and such if anyone wants info.

Summer is 45 days away approximately--so it's the perfect time to mix things up.
    I'd like that info. You can post it here or IM it to me if it's against any DBR rules.

Does your forum ever discuss workouts for teens? I have a 16 year old soccer player and I'd like to help guide her workouts for the summer.

Bump.

How is everyone doing? I've hit a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Bump.

How is everyone doing? I've hit a wall.
    Too many Hungarian breweries?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Too many Hungarian breweries?

Surprisingly I didn't gain any weight on that trip. The 10 miles of walking per day may have had something to do with that.

I need to make a ymm, beer post of the Hungarian beers I tried when I get home this evening.

Surprisingly I didn't gain any weight on that trip. The 10 miles of walking per day may have had something to do with that.

I need to make a ymm, beer post of the Hungarian beers I tried when I get home this evening.
    Yes, please.

WRT the no weight gain and 10 miles/day walking, our younger daughter and her husband walked 10-12 miles/day when they visited Italy a year ago and had similar reports.

I've been cleared from PT to start back to triathlon training! WOOO HOOOO!

I have to take it slow and not look at any of my previous paces until after this season. Super sprint distance only (250 yd pool swim, 10-15 mile bike, 2-3 mile run) and no more. My goal is simply to finish the races, walking the run if I have to. I've got some possible scheduling conflicts so my first (and maybe only) race this year will likely be in September.

I had been cleared to swim for a while. I'm really excited that I've worked back to 1000 yard workouts, even doing the 1000 straight at the same pace I can do 200's. I'm still slow and working on strength, but it's a start.

Now to get back on the bike and to start running. I'll start with some easy spinning (80 rpm with just enough resistance to stay under 100 watts on the gym bikes that notoriously wildly overestimate wattage) working up to a 45 minute cycling class with high intensity intervals before hitting the roads. For running, it'll be 15-20 second run intervals with up to 2 minute walk intervals, gradually lengthening the run and shortening the walk. And lots and lots of core work and strength training, which is the most important aspect.

And now it's ghastly hot out. Not a great time to start all this! At least I'm not crazy like my son. He was invited to ride the Jimmy V Victory Ride on behalf of a sponsor (IOW, he didn't have to do the required high dollar fundraising) due to cancellations from the fundraising team. He was training for Olympic distance triathlons (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike, 10K run), so he's crazy fit -- he did collegiate nationals a few weeks ago and another race a week ago. On Saturday, he did the 100 mile ride, 80 of which were in the rain. Nope...first, 100 miles at once? Second, in the rain? Crazy.

Anybody else have some good news to share? Something motivating? Need some motivation to keep going?

Ive really managed to stay on track, down 36 pounds now. Still just doing my weights and then treadmill routine, but I’ve worked up to 3.25-3.5 miles per day in 30 minutes of running, plus leveled up on the weights a few times. I was at a family wedding this past weekend, and people’s reactions to my results were very satisfying. Now I’m set to leave in a couple of weeks on the outdoors trip that was a major inspiration for all of this in the first place. Getting excited!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Ive really managed to stay on track, down 36 pounds now. Still just doing my weights and then treadmill routine, but I’ve worked up to 3.25-3.5 miles per day in 30 minutes of running, plus leveled up on the weights a few times. I was at a family wedding this past weeketnd, and people’s reactions to my results were very satisfying. Now I’m set to leave in a couple of weeks on the outdoors trip that was a major inspiration for all of this in the first place. Getting excited!
    Make that 37.

I have really fell off. Up 5 pounds

I have really fell off. Up 5 pounds
    Same, can't seem to get any traction/consistency.

I have a pie arriving on Wednesday, so I need to budget that in.

I have been doing well lately. Health and fitness are passions of mine. I played a bunch of sports growing up, basketball, soccer and rugby being the ones I played after university. I have torn the meniscus in my right knee once in my twenties, once in my thirties and once in my forties, all from playing basketball. I semi-retired from soccer 6 or 7 years ago, but am now eligible for 45 and over, which shouldn’t be as stressful on my joints. I can also move from my 35 and over basketball league to 45 and over next fall. I have a rugby reunion this fall, but expect I am likely retired. I am debating permanent retirement from soccer, as it seems to not be great for the knees and contemplating it for basketball as well. The problem, of course, is I love playing those two sports, to the point of looking forward to games all week. I already have X-ray evidence of arthritis in my knee and minor swelling after basketball and sometimes long runs, or running workouts, or weights. The swelling or soreness is never enough to restrict me much, if any, the next day.

I have hovered between 160 to a little over 180 pounds, after my second meniscus tear, as an adult. One exception was when I traveled for 8 months and got down to 145 pounds. I have mostly been between 160-168 the last couple of years. I am 6 feet tall.

I always ran a bit to stay in shape for sports and have been going to the gym for weights (1-2 times a week) fairly consistently for my adult life without ever getting particularly strong, (175 lb bench, 145 lb squat, 200lb deadlift currently and never much higher than that ) but I feel I am less injury prone when I’m consistent at the gym. I ran my second half-marathon September 2015 and decided to try a marathon at the same time as my father and sister in Montreal September 2016. I followed a training program, had a great experience in Montreal, finishing in 3:38 and have been hooked on running ever since. I tore my meniscus this last time in February 2016, but since I got into New York through the lottery, I trained for it once I could (ramping up in June/July) and was very happy with my 3:29 finish at an amazing event. I did find I lost a fair bit of strength while training for New York, so will try to be more consistent getting to the gym twice a week.

I made it through this basketball season injury-free and have been running 20-30 miles per week for the past 6 months up closer to 30+ the last few weeks. I have run between 13 and 15 miles for a long run on the weekend for the last couple of months and a running workout (7&1/2 to 8 minute per mile pace) most weeks with the rest of my mileage, including the long run, generally at an easy (8&1/2 to 9&1/2 minutes per mile) pace. I haven’t picked any more races at this point. I have become a morning person the last couple of years and almost exclusively exercise in the morning. Unfortunately, my wife is not a great sleeper and though I try my best to be quiet, she often wakes up. When I am tired at the peak of marathon training, so is she. I have to get permission before I choose another marathon. I also hope to qualify for Boston next time as well. I need a 3:25, but would want a 3:22 or better to feel comfortable to get in. I don’t think I will do a fall marathon but might try a spring one to try for Boston 2020.
    Lately, I have been fairly consistently running 3-4 times a week and getting to the gym once or twice a week. I still have all my university eligibility for basketball as I didn’t make my university team. If Coach K needs anyone, I’m available, though the college and NBA dream have faded. I also doubt I‘m ever going to dunk a basketball, which was another dream. A 225 pound bench press and Boston qualification are still potentially in play, though.
    I have really enjoyed this thread. Good luck to everyone on their fitness fitness journeys.

Ive really managed to stay on track, down 36 pounds now. Still just doing my weights and then treadmill routine, but I’ve worked up to 3.25-3.5 miles per day in 30 minutes of running, plus leveled up on the weights a few times. I was at a family wedding this past weekend, and people’s reactions to my results were very satisfying. Now I’m set to leave in a couple of weeks on the outdoors trip that was a major inspiration for all of this in the first place. Getting excited!
    Wilson, you inspired me to get back on the horse.

I had fallen off the wagon for a while since I first posted in this thread. I hurt my back(again) and was afraid to do much of anything for a while. Combine that with me reverting back to my less than ideal diet, and I gained back the 10 pounds that I had lost.

But after reading Wilson's post about how many compliments he got at the wedding, it made me want that feeling. So around mid-June, I started eating better, even though I couldn't really exercise yet because of my back.

I had to go to Sweden for a few weeks for work, and that also helped inspire me. If you want to feel like a fat American, go to Sweden for a few weeks. I have to go back there in a few months, and I have sworn to myself to be in better shape this time.

But the straw that broke the camel's back was when I was sitting around the house, snacking and watching TV, when my oldest daughter came downstairs and told me she wanted me to go run with her because school was starting back soon, and she'd have to start cross country practice. It killed me to tell her I didn't think I could jump off the couch and go run a 5k with her, or at least stay up with her. She looked at me like I was a different person, like she couldn't understand.

So, I told her that when she got back from her trip to the mountains with her grandparents, that I would be ready to train with her. So I started walking/running 3.2 miles every other day. And I'm happy to report for the last week I've been able to run the whole distance at a pretty good pace(for me). And my back is feeling better but I need to work in Pilates or yoga or something. I've also started doing 100 push ups every other day.

All in all, even with falling off the wagon, I'm now down to 225 from the 243 I started at. I can't wait to weigh myself this Sunday after having such a good week and half. 200lbs, here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Wilson, you inspired me to get back on the horse.

I had fallen off the wagon for a while since I first posted in this thread. I hurt my back(again) and was afraid to do much of anything for a while. Combine that with me reverting back to my less than ideal diet, and I gained back the 10 pounds that I had lost.

But after reading Wilson's post about how many compliments he got at the wedding, it made me want that feeling. So around mid-June, I started eating better, even though I couldn't really exercise yet because of my back.

I had to go to Sweden for a few weeks for work, and that also helped inspire me. If you want to feel like a fat American, go to Sweden for a few weeks. I have to go back there in a few months, and I have sworn to myself to be in better shape this time.

But the straw that broke the camel's back was when I was sitting around the house, snacking and watching TV, when my oldest daughter came downstairs and told me she wanted me to go run with her because school was starting back soon, and she'd have to start cross country practice. It killed me to tell her I didn't think I could jump off the couch and go run a 5k with her, or at least stay up with her. She looked at me like I was a different person, like she couldn't understand.

So, I told her that when she got back from her trip to the mountains with her grandparents, that I would be ready to train with her. So I started walking/running 3.2 miles every other day. And I'm happy to report for the last week I've been able to run the whole distance at a pretty good pace(for me). And my back is feeling better but I need to work in Pilates or yoga or something. I've also started doing 100 push ups every other day.

All in all, even with falling off the wagon, I'm now down to 225 from the 243 I started at. I can't wait to weigh myself this Sunday after having such a good week and half. 200lbs, here I come!
    Great job, LHL!
    I got back about a week ago from my big annual summer adventure. That went amazingly well...all of my springtime fitness work enabled some extensive and aggressive hiking in some amazing places. I also managed to lose a few more pounds in spite of copious sampling of local beers across our nation.
    Now, I’m back in the gym and kind of earning my way back. I’ve definitely felt rusty on the weights this week, and my running stamina is noticeably diminished. Some good inspiration here to keep things on track, though. Keep it up, everyone!

Great job, LHL!
    I got back about a week ago from my big annual summer adventure. That went amazingly well...all of my springtime fitness work enabled some extensive and aggressive hiking in some amazing places. I also managed to lose a few more pounds in spite of copious sampling of local beers across our nation.
    Now, I’m back in the gym and kind of earning my way back. I’ve definitely felt rusty on the weights this week, and my running stamina is noticeably diminished. Some good inspiration here to keep things on track, though. Keep it up, everyone!
    There's another thread for this...

Getting back on the hamster wheel.

Dropped 16 pounds in first three months of the year.
    Went to Italy, lived large.
    Came home, kept up the large living.

So . . . Gained back about 11 pounds since then. So, I’m still five pounds to the good, right?

Hit gym last two days, back on the food intake consciousness routine. About four or five pounds over the top part of my desired range.

(The revival of this thread helped get me focused back on it — an actual positive from the internet!)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Getting back on the hamster wheel.

Dropped 16 pounds in first three months of the year.
    Went to Italy, lived large.
    Came home, kept up the large living.

So . . . Gained back about 11 pounds since then. So, I’m still five pounds to the good, right?

Hit gym last two days, back on the food intake consciousness routine. About four or five pounds over the top part of my desired range.

(The revival of this thread helped get me focused back on it — an actual positive from the internet!)
    Nice! Yes, it amazes me how reading about the success and small wins of others can make me crack the whip on myself. I'm glad I started reading this thread again.