Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Very nice to hear all of your fitness journeys.

At age 68, I have found a nice routine. I lift weights two days a week. I primarily do free weights and emphasize bench press, inverted bench, military press, squats, curls, and dead lifts.

I do "boot camp" once a week. It's an hour of high intensity, interval training. I attended this morning and, in honor of the new year, we did 2019 reps of push ups, sit up, burpees, squats etc. I didn't hit the mark, most of the class didn't but it was great fun with lots of pain.

I try to run twice a week, weather permitting. If the weather isn't good, I run sprints in the gym.

I have found, in recent years, the challenge is overcoming small injuries that limit my activity. I'm always injuring a shoulder, knee, or thigh. Nothing serious but enough to make me modify my routine.

I do a lot of skiing and hiking in the Colorado mountains.

As I am getting older, I find a real joy in physical activity. I was never a great athlete, but through steady and satisfying work outs, I am more fit than most of my my age group.

On the downside, I'd like to lose ten pounds. I have limited my eating and drinking and have made some slow progress. I love beer and, despite recent cut backs, it is probably my downfall.

So, none of us are Zion Williamson. Through age and genetics, we are doing the best we can. Hang in there everyone and happy New Year.
    Beer doesn’t have to be your scapegoat, it can be your advantage.

Apparently there is a study that suggests beer (or wine) and coffee in moderation greatly increase your chances to live to 90+.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Apparently there is a study that suggests beer (or wine) and coffee in moderation greatly increase your chances to live to 90+.
    I may have to start referencing some of the articles I read in my cardiology journals in support of that.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I may have to start referencing some of the articles I read in my cardiology journals in support of that.
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/02/a-new-study-correlates-alcohol-and-coffee-consumpt.html

Forgot to include the link.

The other day I received an invitation to join a Google Group (ex-employees of my previous employer). I joined and noticed a "My Groups" link which I clicked. The only other group that I was a member of was a "DBR Workout" group...from 2008 :-)

I’m coming up on the first anniversary of my self-improvement project. Trying to think of a nice, but simple (and healthy) way to celebrate.
    I did have a new pair of running shoes and a couple of new pairs of exercise shorts arrive today. Pretty gratifying to have just run almost all the way through a pair of gym-only shoes in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I’m coming up on the first anniversary of my self-improvement project. Trying to think of a nice, but simple (and healthy) way to celebrate.
    I did have a new pair of running shoes and a couple of new pairs of exercise shorts arrive today. Pretty gratifying to have just run almost all the way through a pair of gym-only shoes in the last year.
    Probably thousands of good choices here:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer

(Shameless, indeed. )

I’m not an expert (or a shoe salesperson), what little I have read suggests swapping out shoes every 90-120 days. Literally, your mileage may vary 🙄😂

This may be akin to auto industry and the 3000 mile oil change that seems to have evolved to 5k/7500 miles or whenever the car tells you.

All I will say is if buying newer shoes more often keeps you exercising longer, it’s a win.

I don’t own one, the apple watch series 4 and garmin fenix 5 seems like awesome splurges that are fitness related.

I’m not an expert (or a shoe salesperson), what little I have read suggests swapping out shoes every 90-120 days. Literally, your mileage may vary 🙄😂

This may be akin to auto industry and the 3000 mile oil change that seems to have evolved to 5k/7500 miles or whenever the car tells you.

All I will say is if buying newer shoes more often keeps you exercising longer, it’s a win.

I don’t own one, the apple watch series 4 and garmin fenix 5 seems like awesome splurges that are fitness related.
    Good call here.
    What I really want is a pair of wireless earbuds, but when I started trying to research them, my head was quickly swimming with all the options and it was difficult to zero in on a model that a) stands up to exercise activity, b) has decent enough sound, and c) doesn't cost like 200 bones. Anybody got any input?

Good call here.
    What I really want is a pair of wireless earbuds, but when I started trying to research them, my head was quickly swimming with all the options and it was difficult to zero in on a model that a) stands up to exercise activity, b) has decent enough sound, and c) doesn't cost like 200 bones. Anybody got any input?
    Everyone is raving about the Jabra 65t.

I have a cheaper pair of anker soundcores that I can’t quite get the fit right to run in.

Jaybirds have a good reputation. I have an around the neck wireless skullcandy pair that is pretty good.

I've heard beer is a great post recovery drink after a run. After 3 or 4 imperial ipa's I don't even remember doing it sometimes.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I've heard beer is a great post recovery drink after a run. After 3 or 4 imperial ipa's I don't even remember doing it sometimes.
    Which ones? Discuss here:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer

Would that be comparable to consuming 3 or 4 Great Lakes' Blackout Stouts because if you have that many, you will black out.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Not to be completely oblivious to the humour, I do believe a beer is considered a good post recovery drink. Emphasis on “a”. 😂

I do "boot camp" once a week. It's an hour of high intensity, interval training. I attended this morning and, in honor of the new year, we did 2019 reps of push ups, sit up, burpees, squats etc. I didn't hit the mark, most of the class didn't but it was great fun with lots of pain.
    Over 2000 reps of those exercises in an hour? How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Over 2000 reps of those exercises in an hour? How is that possible?
    About 10% of the class made it. Some of the exercises are quicker and easier than others. 50 squats is pretty quick. 50 situps - on the floor, without legs being restrained - is difficult and time consuming. 50 pushups is pretty quick for the strong guys - not so much for some of us. 25 burpees is pretty quick if you are in great shape and don't get too out of breath (for me - I had to slow down considerably at about 12 or 13.

I'm not looking forward to next year and 2020 reps.

About 10% of the class made it. Some of the exercises are quicker and easier than others. 50 squats is pretty quick. 50 situps - on the floor, without legs being restrained - is difficult and time consuming. 50 pushups is pretty quick for the strong guys - not so much for some of us. 25 burpees is pretty quick if you are in great shape and don't get too out of breath (for me - I had to slow down considerably at about 12 or 13.

Burpees are the devil's work.

Alright, fellow DBRers, I’m in. I finished December hitting my distance goal: I ran 6.2 miles before the end of the month. I did it in 59:29.

I have three goals in January. Exercise every day for the first 21 days (can be something small, but at least have to do it), increase my distance to over 7 miles and reduce my 5K time as I start to prep for a race in April.

This morning I started on the speed part (if you can call it that). Clocked a 5K in 28:41. I’ve got a way to go to get under 25 min, but it’s a start. And roughly 300 ft elevation gain.

Keep it moving!
    Carolina delenda est

slogging thru 14 inches of fresh snow is a different, taxing kind of workout, with faithful canines for backup...kind of fun, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Alright, fellow DBRers, I’m in. I finished December hitting my distance goal: I ran 6.2 miles before the end of the month. I did it in 59:29.

I have three goals in January. Exercise every day for the first 21 days (can be something small, but at least have to do it), increase my distance to over 7 miles and reduce my 5K time as I start to prep for a race in April.

This morning I started on the speed part (if you can call it that). Clocked a 5K in 28:41. I’ve got a way to go to get under 25 min, but it’s a start. And roughly 300 ft elevation gain.

Keep it moving!
    Interval Training!

One run per week, alternate between full out sprints and recovery jogs, the 440 outdoor track is a good reference, sprint the 100 straights and jog the 120 curves. This will help your overall speed more than trying to push each 5k run 2-3 seconds faster.

I once ran a 10k under 1 hr. 40 years ago!

I still don't see how. To do just one exercise - squats would require you to do a squat every 1.8 seconds for an hour. And that just achieves 1 of the exercises. To do all 4, you are talking about doing a rep every 0.4 seconds or so for an hour. I'm not even sure how you do 1 situp that fast, let alone 2000. Do you really have multiple people in your group who can do that? Sounds impossible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    I still don't see how. To do just one exercise - squats would require you to do a squat every 1.8 seconds for an hour. And that just achieves 1 of the exercises. To do all 4, you are talking about doing a rep every 0.4 seconds or so for an hour. I'm not even sure how you do 1 situp that fast, let alone 2000. Do you really have multiple people in your group who can do that? Sounds impossible to me.
    I was trying to figure out the math afterwards. 60 minutes is 3600 seconds. I divided that by 2019 and came up with 1.7 seconds per rep. I couldn't do it.

There were also jumping jacks - plank jacks - high knees etc., that were quicker to do.

I fell short but we had people, pretty fit people, who made it.