Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    With many public gyms closing due to the virus how is everyone going to stay on top of their fitness?

Looks like I'll have a lot more push-ups, body weight squats and core workouts headed my way.
    I was determined not to just nibble out of boredom. Started my resistance band training again. And stationery bike.

Also have been walking my dog more often and for longer jaunts. (My substitute for walking around the B-school and campus for meetings and coffee breaks.) His daily routine of sleeping has been shattered.

Combining those with joining Noom in early January, I’ve lost 16 pounds (194 to 178).

Dropped 2 lbs this week. Doing Insanity Max 30 and eating decent. Not going out to lunch each day makes for a more healthy lunch. I'm cooking dinner most nights as well (no restaurants to visit) and keeping my portion sizes in control. Hope to add some lifting this week. I have just enough weight in dumb bells here at the house to be somewhat useful.

I have a set of resistance bands that I use for travel that have come in quite handy for (more or less) maintaining muscle mass. Also have mapped out a 3.5-mile run in the neighborhood. I’ve added in one day of online yoga per week as well. All in all, it seems to be reasonably reproducing my regular fitness routine, as I’ve actually dropped a couple of pounds since quarantine began.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Dropped 2 lbs this week. Doing Insanity Max 30 and eating decent. Not going out to lunch each day makes for a more healthy lunch. I'm cooking dinner most nights as well (no restaurants to visit) and keeping my portion sizes in control. Hope to add some lifting this week. I have just enough weight in dumb bells here at the house to be somewhat useful.
    My wife is a teacher so she is in full time quarantine. My son is 14 and missed his entire baseball season. As a result, they both have asked me to put in some type of home gym for them to use.

Bought an incline bench, and a rack of dumb bells and two medicine balls and I've agreed to start working out with them.

I feel like the quarantine is gonna be a fitness revolution for some folks, but others are going to pack on weight.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    My wife is a teacher so she is in full time quarantine. My son is 14 and missed his entire baseball season. As a result, they both have asked me to put in some type of home gym for them to use.

Bought an incline bench, and a rack of dumb bells and two medicine balls and I've agreed to start working out with them.

I feel like the quarantine is gonna be a fitness revolution for some folks, but others are going to pack on weight.
    And may have significant longer term implications for the gym industry as we move away from face to face gym visits and they move to remote sessions. An industry disrupted? (See the many YouTube and subscription channels in play)

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    With many public gyms closing due to the virus how is everyone going to stay on top of their fitness?

Looks like I'll have a lot more push-ups, body weight squats and core workouts headed my way.
    I don't envy you guys having to get creative. For me gyms closing isn't a factor, since I don't belong to one, but the add'l time at home, with no school dropoffs, kids' activities, civic activities, commute, social life, etc. has allowed for a LOT more ability to put an aggressive running regime in place while we're home. Meaning I have the gift of time to not just jog 2-3 times a week to stay somewhat fit, but put a milestone out there and train for it. So I'm preparing for a virtual half marathon with some friends next month. We'll all start at the same time, run our own routes and then Zoom a champagne toast later in the day. I've never done one before and I don't know when I'll have this good of an opportunity again.

I was right on track, running 4x/week and lengthening the long weekend run, until my wife tested positive for COVID. [She's recovered and we're all fine - I probably had it first and was close to asymptomatic, and the kids each at various points showed minor possible symptoms, as well]. So, a few weeks back, determined not to let our full quarantine stop me, I put in a couple runs, including an 8 miler, in my driveway. 8 miles amounted to about 130 "laps" and changing direction every mile, which was insane and unsustainable, so I had to basically take 10 days off. Now I'm trying furiously to catch back up, ran 23 miles last week including 8 again yesterday, hoping to get to a 10 mile run the weekend after next. I think I'll be ready to complete my 13.1 on the big day, but I'll probably be about 10 sec/mile slower than planned.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    And may have significant longer term implications for the gym industry as we move away from face to face gym visits and they move to remote sessions. An industry disrupted? (See the many YouTube and subscription channels in play)
    I've always found that either exercising at home or in the Great Outdoors is more fun and satisfying than going to a gym. Hate the stink. But I guess it depends upon where you live and what exercises you like to do...not easy for folks in cities, I do get that...

Added about 15 minutes to my daily walks since mid-March as our ballroom dancing has come to a rest. Trying to avoid the COVID 15 and successful so far as annual physical weight was down 5 lbs from last year to about 156.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I just got word that my gym will be reopening on May 1, which is beyond preposterous, so I'll be contacting them to hopefully keep my membership in freeze mode for a while. My at-home fitness program of neighborhood runs + yoga + resistance bands continues to work well, such that I'm almost inclined to cancel my gym membership altogether.

Well, so far in about 6 weeks of quarantine I've managed to lose 20 pounds, and gone from barely able to make it one mile without stopping to walk to consistently running (ok, jogging) 3-4 miles each time out. Still about 20-25 pounds to go, but its a good start! I'd like to extend my runs out to about 5 miles, and then start working on increasing my speed...right now I'm hovering around 9:45 per mile on the longer runs (9:00 if I'm just running a mile or so), would like to eventually get closer to 8-8:30 per mile which is closer to what I ran years ago when I was actually in halfway decent shape).

My lifting is pretty limited (I don't have much to work with at home in terms of equipment so it is mostly low weight/high rep stuff where I prefer doing high weight/low rep) but I've started at least getting back into that a little as well.

Anyone else having some good success during the quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well, so far in about 6 weeks of quarantine I've managed to lose 20 pounds, and gone from barely able to make it one mile without stopping to walk to consistently running (ok, jogging) 3-4 miles each time out. Still about 20-25 pounds to go, but its a good start! I'd like to extend my runs out to about 5 miles, and then start working on increasing my speed...right now I'm hovering around 9:45 per mile on the longer runs (9:00 if I'm just running a mile or so), would like to eventually get closer to 8-8:30 per mile which is closer to what I ran years ago when I was actually in halfway decent shape).

My lifting is pretty limited (I don't have much to work with at home in terms of equipment so it is mostly low weight/high rep stuff where I prefer doing high weight/low rep) but I've started at least getting back into that a little as well.

I got down to my target weight range (160-165 lbs) in mid-March and have been able to maintain it, so I’ll count that as a victory.

Other than lots of walking and the occasional kayak adventure, not getting a lot of variety in. But bringing my own lunch to work (and fewer restaurant dinners than usual) has saved money and a lot of calories.

And despite our gym being back open, I have not gone back although wish I could. Maybe in a few weeks if we do not have a big re-spike here.

I joined Noom in early January. Not into all that soft stuff, but got me focused on the right eating. Have gone from 194 (granted, some holiday season weight) to 176. Coupling that with longer walks with my Airedale, resistance band workouts, and weights. In best shape I've been in a few years. Now to continue to avoid C19...

I'm about 4lbs below my goal weight. Diet changes and consistent exercise have been helpful here at home (both for the physical and mental health). Still doing Insanity Max: 30...ShaunT kicked my butt again this morning.

Day 2 of 2 with my garmin vivosport.

At least I now have definitive data on how out of shape I am 🤣

One day at a time. Focus on getting better.

I'm interested in a home strength machine, preferably one that doesn't have to go in our grim basement. Any opinions on a Katalyst? Tonal?

90 minute walk advanced stats from minutes ago:

Temp-77
    Humidity-81
    Dew point-71
    Steps-11,100
    Miles-6.2

Yea, I'm a wet, stinky mess but I'm afebrile, the alveoli are working at about 100% and, after a quart of water and half pint of Gatorade, I'll be ready for a couple hours of azalea pruning before noon, hopefully before atmospheric conditions really reach the suckitude level.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Temp-77
    Humidity-81
    Dew point-71
    Steps-11,100
    Miles-6.2

Yea, I'm a wet, stinky mess but I'm afebrile, the alveoli are working at about 100% and, after a quart of water and half pint of Gatorade, I'll be ready for a couple hours of azalea pruning before noon, hopefully before atmospheric conditions really reach the suckitude level.
    It ain't the heat, it's the humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Temp-77
    Humidity-81
    Dew point-71
    Steps-11,100
    Miles-6.2

Great work DD. Good way to start off the weekend. When you get a good Saturday morning workout in it clears you to eat and drink freely for the day :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It ain't the heat, it's the humidity.
    Yep. Our after dark walks during June, July, August and September with dew points regularly >70 are not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Great work DD. Good way to start off the weekend. When you get a good Saturday morning workout in it clears you to eat and drink freely for the day :-)
    Perhaps not *freely* but at least reasonably and responsibly .