Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    I noticed that the cake, chocolate, seafood and turkey threads were all ahead of this one and sensed a change was in order.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I noticed that the cake, chocolate, seafood and turkey threads were all ahead of this one and sensed a change was in order.
    The fat rises to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The fat rises to the top?
    Turkey is high protein, low fat. Excellent for fitness.

Time for me to get back on the horse, I think. I lost ~50 pounds between March and June last year while working from home, and kept it off through November, when I went back to work in person. I think I've gained most of it back now (can't confirm as I haven't stepped on a scale in a while), so it's time to get back into a running/healthy eating routine before I am totally back to square one. Nice day for it, at least! The challenge will be figuring out how to consistently replicate the healthy lifestyle I cultivated working from home now that I'm back in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Time for me to get back on the horse, I think. I lost ~50 pounds between March and June last year while working from home, and kept it off through November, when I went back to work in person. I think I've gained most of it back now (can't confirm as I haven't stepped on a scale in a while), so it's time to get back into a running/healthy eating routine before I am totally back to square one. Nice day for it, at least! The challenge will be figuring out how to consistently replicate the healthy lifestyle I cultivated working from home now that I'm back in the office.
    I went through the same cycle, stepping back on the scale some time in November or December to confirm the diagnosis. I committed to three things: weighing myself regularly, roughly counting calories and getting at least 30 minutes of cardio a week, with hopefully regular daily moderate exercise. I’ve definitely felt positive results.
    Carolina delenda est

A bit over 15K steps for the day so far (7.3 miles) and the evening walk still to come.

Makes me think about a different dessert...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Turkey is high protein, low fat. Excellent for fitness.
    To be sure. But when one adds mayo, cheese, a side order of chips, sweet tea with unlimited refills. . . .

To be sure. But when one adds mayo, cheese, a side order of chips, sweet tea with unlimited refills. . . .
    There are no calories in “fixins” if you eat them standing up.

True.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    There are no calories in “fixins” if you eat them standing up.

True.
    Also, if you don’t use a plate there are no calories. Or so I have been told...

Whaaaaaa? No seafood?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Whaaaaaa? No seafood?!?!
    Seafood and turkey? Now, that would be weird.

But I did inadvertently leave out bacon as a turkey add-on. Or turkey as a bacon add-on.

All things in moderation. Including moderation.

Seafood and turkey? Now, that would be weird.

But I did inadvertently leave out bacon as a turkey add-on. Or turkey as a bacon add-on.

All things in moderation. Including moderation.
    As long as you're consistent with your moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    As long as you're consistent with your moderation.
    Is moderately consistent good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Is moderately consistent good enough?
    Should be. Consistently moderate also works.

I've really been "enjoying" playing YouTube fitness video roulette when I'm losing motivation and just want to get in a 20-30 minute sweat. Lots of good free HIIT, tabata, blahblah workouts out there for free. No weights, weights, circuits, no repeats. Some of the personalities are better than others but it's nice to not have to think about what I'm doing.
    I’ve long used the excuse that I’m too long to build significant muscle mass. Squats and bent over rows, in particular, after a certain weight feel unstable and unsafe for me. Deadlifts are pretty good because I have long arms but for those too I feel pretty awkward generating the initial thrust from an unnatural position.

I’m 6’4”. Not sure I’ve ever measured properly but I think my wingspan is pretty good and I’ve got long legs and never had an ample derrière.

Lots of excuses but I do lift for overall health and miss the gym.
    IMO, the reason you can't build significant muscle mass is because you are emphasizing (at least for the last month or so) bodyweight circuit workouts instead of lifting heavy, compound movements.

If your squats and rows feel unstable be sure to train your core too: GHDs, reverse hypers, if you have access to them.

If the starting position for a deadlift is unnatural to you, you may have an ankle mobility issue, but I truly believe anyone can build muscle if they really want to. Lift heavy, eat big and clean, and the gains have to come.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    IMO, the reason you can't build significant muscle mass is because you are emphasizing (at least for the last month or so) bodyweight circuit workouts instead of lifting heavy, compound movements.

If your squats and rows feel unstable be sure to train your core too: GHDs, reverse hypers, if you have access to them.

If the starting position for a deadlift is unnatural to you, you may have an ankle mobility issue, but I truly believe anyone can build muscle if they really want to. Lift heavy, eat big and clean, and the gains have to come.
    I have put on about 4 lbs of muscle since January 1st with my workout. Now I eat about 4500 calories a day, but pretty limited carbohydrates. I am a big proponent of eating fat but no sugars.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

Oh, I definitely add muscle; I just have consistently reached a place where certain levels of weight begin to feel dangerous and so I don't try to push it beyond that. I'm sure consistent training and loading would result in incremental gains but they just don't feel safe to me, particularly since I've had occasional back issues over the years. Certain body types are clearly more conducive to different types of sports and athletic pursuits --- I'm a strong, natural swimmer, for instance, but just have the long, reedy build that's not great for lifting.

I do feel like I learned proper technique. I grew up in Texas and was one of the ISD's nationally known for its sports program so went through some of the standard MS and HS regimes, even got pumped full of creatine in off-season performance improvement programs that guaranteed to add X, Y, and Z amounts of weight and vertical leap, etc.

It's been pre-COVID since I've been in a gym with access to weights other than what I have in my basement so I've been doing a lot of circuit work and general fitness, which is my goal. When I go back to the gym, I'll try to get back to my pre-COVID heavy, compound lifts 1-2X week.

Have been beefing up the pushup routine. Trying to get to 500 in the fewest number of sets possible. When I ramped all the way up to 500 about 6 or 8 weeks ago it took me 12-13 sets to get to 500. I got there in 6 sets today for an average of 83/set.

I am looking forward to rejoining the gym after my second jab.

my understanding continues to be that there are few calories in melted cheese.