Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Shameful. The real discussion about fitness buried on page 3 or 4.

Walk last PM:

Time: 900 PM
    Temp: 88F (no typo)
    Humidity: 64%
    Dew point: 74
    Duration: 60 minutes
    Distance: 3.6 miles

Not pleasant but necessary.
    Walk this AM:

Time: 745-915 AM
    Temp: 77F
    Humidity: 91% (disgusting)
    Dew point: 74
    Distance: 5.4 miles
    Total steps: 11,000

Tolerability: A bit better than last PM because the temperature was 11 degrees cooler and there was a bit of a breeze at times but still pretty oppressive; keeps the alveoli open at least
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

^ those are (literally) throw yourselves into the sea dew points...just did some yard work with a 61 degree dewpoint and I'm soaked...

I'm trying to start kicking my run mileage up some. I did a five-miler this morning, which was quite a challenge. Will likely try the same route again on Wednesday or Thursday. I often find that the second time is easier than the first, even though there won't be any real change in my overall fitness level in 2 or 3 days.

Ended up over doing it getting back into running.

Have achilles tendonitis in my right leg.

Other than heel drops and calf stretches, anyone have other thoughts on recovery?

Kinda bummed, had been making good progress.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Other than heel drops and calf stretches, anyone have other thoughts on recovery?

How are your hamstrings? I found that focused work in loosening them up alleviated all manner of pain from my shoulder blades to my ankles. It's crazy how all of that stuff really is interconnected.

I have not had Achilles tendonitis but have had all sorts of calf, knee and hip pain since resuming running. For me, there seemed to be a direct connection between my lower back and this pain. I start my stretching with the low back and work down to the calf stretches and heel drops. I've been slowly increasing the mileage and never run three days in a row. It's working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    How are your hamstrings? I found that focused work in loosening them up alleviated all manner of pain from my shoulder blades to my ankles. It's crazy how all of that stuff really is interconnected.
    Interesting thoughts, thanks.
    As I restarted, I would have said my lungs were my biggest problem. 😳😂

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I have not had Achilles tendonitis but have had all sorts of calf, knee and hip pain since resuming running. For me, there seemed to be a direct connection between my lower back and this pain. I start my stretching with the low back and work down to the calf stretches and heel drops. I've been slowly increasing the mileage and never run three days in a row. It's working for me.
    I need to rethink stretching and how I incorporate before/after. Thanks!

I need to rethink stretching and how I incorporate before/after. Thanks!
    When we used to run, we always spent about 5 minutes stretching the quads/hamstrings/lower back muscles with various movements before hitting the pavement and generally briefly afterwards. Since we stopped running 11 years ago, we do no stretching before hitting the pavement.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

This heat wave has completely wrecked my running. I had been running ~20 miles per week since March, I think I've run maybe 10 miles in the past month.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This heat wave has completely wrecked my running. I had been running ~20 miles per week since March, I think I've run maybe 10 miles in the past month.
    Very truly the only thing getting me out of bed at a respectable hour these days.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Very truly the only thing getting me out of bed at a respectable hour these days.
    ya, we get our exercise in starting around 7:30 to beat the heat..

Any peloton fans on here? I picked one up during the start of the coronavirus lock in and have really enjoyed having it, especially since I am avoiding the gym and mtb trails are inconsistently available due to rain.

Have not tried any of their running workouts but enjoy the cycling and meditation. Heading for the bike now...

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Any peloton fans on here? I picked one up during the start of the coronavirus lock in and have really enjoyed having it, especially since I am avoiding the gym and mtb trails are inconsistently available due to rain.

Have not tried any of their running workouts but enjoy the cycling and meditation. Heading for the bike now...
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a stand and speedometer that converts a conventional bike into a stationary, compatible with Peloton-style workouts. Hoping it will help me maintain cardio work in inclement weather and when it's too cold to run outside (for our like 5 minutes of winter).

That's a great problem to have! Find it is also good for rainy days and days that are just too hot.

Are you going to get an app to go along with it? Or just watch tv / look out the window & pedal?

That's a great problem to have! Find it is also good for rainy days and days that are just too hot.

Are you going to get an app to go along with it? Or just watch tv / look out the window & pedal?
    I’ll probably get an app for some guided workouts, but I’ll also sometimes just, like, watch cartoons and pedal.

My wife bought one about a year ago. She loves it. Of course, it doesn't hurt that she is in love with "Cody" - one of the bike instructors. And my daughter also likes to use it, when she is home. I've yet to try it out (I need to buy the correct bike shoes, for the clipless pedals).

I like mine a lot. Emma Lovewell is my favorite instructor. I typically do 45 min classes.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    I like mine a lot. Emma Lovewell is my favorite instructor. I typically do 45 min classes.
    She's great! I tend to take the powerzone classes. Really like the ability to quantify effort and ratchet up performance by taking the ftp test. Feels like it has had a positive impact on my endurance and power when I'm on two actual wheels out on the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Emma Lovewell, eh? Is this Peloton's X-rated version?