Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    I've been struggling to maintain rhythm and motivation in recent weeks. Got up and knocked out my first solid Monday morning workout in several weeks today. Hoping it can be a springboard to getting back into my flow before the holidays hit and I start eating and drinking everything in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I've been struggling to maintain rhythm and motivation in recent weeks. Got up and knocked out my first solid Monday morning workout in several weeks today. Hoping it can be a springboard to getting back into my flow before the holidays hit and I start eating and drinking everything in sight.
    The time change helped me. I made it to the gym this morning for the first time in a while. Also, I've gone 3 weeks without eating 'sweets' or 'deserts'. That's a big thing for me, I love and crave deserts. Man can I eat some chocolate chip cookies and ice cream. I've lost a few pounds just by taking some sugar out of my diet. Told myself this weekend that if I just add a little exercise I could really start to make progress. Hopefully that holds true!

Nice job.

I ran the R'n'Stomp in 24:12. Splits were 7:20, 8:25, 7:25... I just gotta clean up that middle mile. It was insanely cold. Ready for another shot in non-30 degree weather.

Don't forget, you can just have a taste or a sip. You don't have to eat and drink everything in sight.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    The time change helped me. I made it to the gym this morning for the first time in a while. Also, I've gone 3 weeks without eating 'sweets' or 'deserts'. That's a big thing for me, I love and crave deserts. Man can I eat some chocolate chip cookies and ice cream. I've lost a few pounds just by taking some sugar out of my diet. Told myself this weekend that if I just add a little exercise I could really start to make progress. Hopefully that holds true!
    I have been using Noom since the beginning of Aug and have learned some really interesting things about weight management. BTW, this NOT a promo for Noom. There is absolutely no question about the value of regular exercise from a cardiovascular health and muscular strength standpoint. But it has been eye opening to learn just how small of an impact exercise has on weight loss RELATIVE TO better eating habits. I reached my all time highest weight back in June of this year and have since lost over 10% of that weight. I’ve done it with some exercise but largely through a change in how I eat. The focus has been on eating foods that help you feel satiated while providing the necessary calories and nutrients your body needs. Seems obvious but it’s been a substantial if not difficult shift to make. I’ve cut out most foods that are high in calorie density, meaning those that pack lots of calories into small amounts of actual food. Simple example is eating 60 calories worth of grapes (which is a lot) vs 60 calories of raisins (which barely registers in your stomach or brain). This style of eating has forced me to cut out most processed foods. I still have sweets and foods that I consider treats every now and then. It’s not off limits, but I try to do within the larger context of my daily consumption goals. It’s been a revelation. The weight I have lost came as the result of very little exercise. Now I’m increasing my daily exercise primarily for the cardio benefit it provides me. And cutting out processed foods has had a positive secondary effect on my gastro health. Sorry if that’s TMI but it’s been life changing. Anyway, a few thoughts as we head toward holiday eating season. It won’t be easy for me but I feel so much better equipped to make good decisions now that I truly understand the value of certain food choices.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I have been using Noom since the beginning of Aug and have learned some really interesting things about weight management. BTW, this NOT a promo for Noom. There is absolutely no question about the value of regular exercise from a cardiovascular health and muscular strength standpoint. But it has been eye opening to learn just how small of an impact exercise has on weight loss RELATIVE TO better eating habits. I reached my all time highest weight back in June of this year and have since lost over 10% of that weight. I’ve done it with some exercise but largely through a change in how I eat. The focus has been on eating foods that help you feel satiated while providing the necessary calories and nutrients your body needs. Seems obvious but it’s been a substantial if not difficult shift to make. I’ve cut out most foods that are high in calorie density, meaning those that pack lots of calories into small amounts of actual food. Simple example is eating 60 calories worth of grapes (which is a lot) vs 60 calories of raisins (which barely registers in your stomach or brain). This style of eating has forced me to cut out most processed foods. I still have sweets and foods that I consider treats every now and then. It’s not off limits, but I try to do within the larger context of my daily consumption goals. It’s been a revelation. The weight I have lost came as the result of very little exercise. Now I’m increasing my daily exercise primarily for the cardio benefit it provides me. And cutting out processed foods has had a positive secondary effect on my gastro health. Sorry if that’s TMI but it’s been life changing. Anyway, a few thoughts as we head toward holiday eating season. It won’t be easy for me but I feel so much better equipped to make good decisions now that I truly understand the value of certain food choices.
    Not TMI at all. Thanks for taking the time to post all of that. This thread is all about sharing experiences and knowledge. I do well with tools and schedules sometimes so something like Noom might work for me. I've been labeled 'pre-diabetic' the last 2 years when I had my physical. My brother and sister have been diagnosed type 2 and are taking some nasty meds. I've been trying (and failing) for a year to make dietary changes to remove carbs and sugars. When I looked up how to diet to prevent myself from becoming diabetic it seemed like all I had to do was stop eating every single thing that I love to eat. So for a carb/sugar and cookie lover like me to make it through 3 weeks with no sweets is something that I'm happy with. Atkins bars are helping, they are tasty and sweet but don't have the carbs and sugars.

Anyway, thanks for posting, I'll take a look at Noom and see if it's a good option for me. I like the theory of foods that are low in calories but big on making you feel like you've eaten enough. Even at 52, my metabolism is naturally pretty high and I tend to need food every couple of hours. When you're always eating it helps if you eat the right things. After this year's physical and having the same a1c numbers as last year, I'm trying to make strides and do better with my diet. Might as well try and drop the 10lbs I want to drop and workout while I'm at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Good info.

I find that drinking a gallon of water a day, and cutting out simple carbs (most breads and pasta and chips and white rice -- and beer) coupled with fair exercise gives me the steadiest drops.

Of all those, the hardest for me to cut out is chips (particularly tortilla chips).

Nice step this week toward getting my rhythm back...I ran a 23:30 5k this morning and assuming I make it to the gym tomorrow morning, it'll be my first full week of workouts in a couple of months. That feels good.
    Next goal is to do a second full week in a row, lather, rinse, repeat...

Nice step this week toward getting my rhythm back...I ran a 23:30 5k this morning and assuming I make it to the gym tomorrow morning, it'll be my first full week of workouts in a couple of months. That feels good.
    Next goal is to do a second full week in a row, lather, rinse, repeat...
    Awesome!

Are you treadmilling or running outside, and if the later, are you approximating your time/distance, or using some measurement method?

I am curious as I recently downloaded a "Runkeeper" app on my phone that tracks my miles and splits while I run. So far, I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Awesome!

Are you treadmilling or running outside, and if the later, are you approximating your time/distance, or using some measurement method?

I am curious as I recently downloaded a "Runkeeper" app on my phone that tracks my miles and splits while I run. So far, I really like it.
    The vast majority of my running is on the treadmill, for several reasons:
    • easy to track times & progress and manage pace
    • easier on my joints than pavement
    • not exposed to the elements at a few minutes before 6am, when I begin my daily runs
    I also closely monitor my daily data on the Health app native to the iPhone, and have found it to be very useful.

Thanksgiving Day exercise report:

9.6 miles walking

19,781 steps

Thanksgiving Day gluttony report:

19,780 calories.

We'll call it a draw.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Presumably, a lot of us could stand to discuss this topic nowadays.
    After about 10 weeks of struggle to establish/maintain workout rhythm this fall, I've been getting back in the swing pretty well over the last 3 weeks or so. My running rhythm is back to a somewhat steady state, although my recent average times are about a minute off from where I'd like them to be. I've also leveled up on weights across the board, which is reintroducing some soreness, but nothing that's unmanageable.
    I've been working on mental toughness lately, especially on the treadmill..."Yes, this hurts and/or is not fun right this minute and/or it would be easy to just walk for a minute or two, but I'm going to keep running anyway." That regular self-reminder has helped me run all the way through my daily 5k with very satisfying regularity in recent weeks.
    I will still be holding off on my daily weigh-ins until first thing next week...that number isn't something that I stress about, but it does keep me honest. Right now, though, the number would of course be unpleasant after two family Thanksgivings, so I'm giving myself a little time to recover.

Hope everyone else is maintaining their exercise programs well amid the many celebrations of this time of year.

Presumably, a lot of us could stand to discuss this topic nowadays.
    After about 10 weeks of struggle to establish/maintain workout rhythm this fall, I've been getting back in the swing pretty well over the last 3 weeks or so. My running rhythm is back to a somewhat steady state, although my recent average times are about a minute off from where I'd like them to be. I've also leveled up on weights across the board, which is reintroducing some soreness, but nothing that's unmanageable.
    I've been working on mental toughness lately, especially on the treadmill..."Yes, this hurts and/or is not fun right this minute and/or it would be easy to just walk for a minute or two, but I'm going to keep running anyway." That regular self-reminder has helped me run all the way through my daily 5k with very satisfying regularity in recent weeks.
    I will still be holding off on my daily weigh-ins until first thing next week...that number isn't something that I stress about, but it does keep me honest. Right now, though, the number would of course be unpleasant after two family Thanksgivings, so I'm giving myself a little time to recover.

Hope everyone else is maintaining their exercise programs well amid the many celebrations of this time of year.
    I'm about 4 pounds above where I was targeting for the end of November, which isn't too bad.

I am hoping to go into the New Year's Resolution phase well ahead of where I typically enter it, which would be a big positive.

Weight Training

If you are weight training and not consuming content by Jeff Cavaliere, you aren't doing it right. Jeff owns Athleanx. He posts a ton of free content on youtube and social media (just search athleanx on youtube). He is the most knowledgeable physical fitness professional I have ever seen. The thing that I appreciate most is that he will instruct you how to do an exercise the right way to build muscle and not get hurt.

For what it's worth, I consider myself in pretty good shape. I weight train about 30 minutes a day and very rarely do dedicated cardio work. I eat a clean breakfast and lunch every day and try to stay clean for dinner but that is harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    If you are weight training and not consuming content by Jeff Cavaliere, you aren't doing it right. Jeff owns Athleanx. He posts a ton of free content on youtube and social media (just search athleanx on youtube). He is the most knowledgeable physical fitness professional I have ever seen. The thing that I appreciate most is that he will instruct you how to do an exercise the right way to build muscle and not get hurt.

For what it's worth, I consider myself in pretty good shape. I weight train about 30 minutes a day and very rarely do dedicated cardio work. I eat a clean breakfast and lunch every day and try to stay clean for dinner but that is harder.
    Having met nmduke2001 right before the Sun Bowl, I can attest that he is a lean mean fighting machine. Thanks for the heads-up, I will check his content out!

I've been dedicating more time to my olympic lifting and I am proud to say I accomplished a big fitness goal of mine last week, which was a bodyweight snatch.

Snatched 198 lbs at a bodyweight of 196 lbs.

Next up is a 275 lb clean and jerk.

Don't eat Christmas cookies, y'all!

Bump for tomorrow

Bump for tomorrow
    I have to admit, this just made me laugh. The first couple of weeks in the gym can be annoying for people that go year round. It's always fun to see how long the new year's resolution folks last.

I cut most of the sweets out of my diet and started going to the gym more the last couple of months. I'm down about 10 pounds. Weight wise that gets me about 4 lbs from my goal but fitness wise I feel like I have much work to do. I did catch a sale and buy a new set of 'Insanity' DVDs, maybe my new years thing will be working through those (although I suspect that I'll just use them as additional cardio this time).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I have to admit, this just made me laugh. The first couple of weeks in the gym can be annoying for people that go year round. It's always fun to see how long the new year's resolution folks last.

I cut most of the sweets out of my diet and started going to the gym more the last couple of months. I'm down about 10 pounds. Weight wise that gets me about 4 lbs from my goal but fitness wise I feel like I have much work to do. I did catch a sale and buy a new set of 'Insanity' DVDs, maybe my new years thing will be working through those (although I suspect that I'll just use them as additional cardio this time).
    I’ve done insanity a few times. If you keep the intensity up, it is very difficult.

I’ve done insanity a few times. If you keep the intensity up, it is very difficult.
    When I've done it for real I come away with good results and I think it's properly named. I bought Insanity Max 30, which are 30 minute workouts (as opposed to the 45 and 120 minute workouts in the original). The shorter workouts should fit my schedule a little better plus, unlike the previous times I've done Insanity I'm in decent shape at the beginning and I plan to do some lifting along the way as well.

For November (Planksgiving) and December (Squat, Crunch & Sit ups), I did not successfully complete either 30 day challenge the family was doing. The choice for January is the pushup challenge (10 sec plank and increasing # of pushups each day). I'm going to try to combine the Planksgiving and Pushup challenge - so longer planks each day. Hopefully I will stick with it this time.