Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So . . . How we starting 2021?
    Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 3.04.53 PM.jpg

January 2020 was 1.7 mies/day.
    ~rthomas

I’ve been out of rhythm, unmotivated, and unfulfilled in recent months. Hard to stick with things when it feels unsafe to go to the gym. Hopeful that that gets easier soon, but in need of something to get me going in the meantime.

Without the gym, I’ve been reduced to a weekend warrior (walkier?) during these short days. I try to get out each Saturday and Sunday for a walk or hike in the woods (5-9 miles). And sadly, no beer/wine/spirits until I get back into my target range (about 9 pounds away).

I have been committed to getting in 20000 steps a day for the last year and a half. I have been a weightlifter since the 90s. A buddy and I started a push-up challenge January 1st where We are doing 300 push-ups a day in a 3 hour time window on a 3 Day on 1 day off and 2 day on one day off cycle. As someone who has lifted since his late teens and early twenties I am surprised at just how difficult this is. My body straight up can't get used to this and I am enjoying it so much.

eight below zero this morning means we're issuing a Frozen Nose Hairs alert on the big walk...but at least it's bright and sunny, which is nice.

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/fitnes...alth-lockdown/

This article does such an amazing job of explaining how I approach walking. I tried running for 30 years and found it to be so miserable that I don't just hate running, I hate runners.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post

This article does such an amazing job of explaining how I approach walking. I tried running for 30 years and found it to be so miserable that I don't just hate running, I hate runners.
    Jogging, running, biking, hiking, it's all gold to me...as long as it is OUTDOORS. Treadmills, pelotons, step machines, etc are a unique form of boring-as-hell mind f***ery. And, the worst of these, is when the stationary exercise torture device is in front of a mirror so you can take a full accounting of your sins while you are bored, uncomfortable, and struggling with existential dilemmas like, "If we are star stuff, what have I done so wrong in my life that all those essential universal elements coalesced and reformed to put me on something as horrible as a treadmill."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Jogging, running, biking, hiking, it's all gold to me...as long as it is OUTDOORS. Treadmills, pelotons, step machines, etc are a unique form of boring-as-hell mind f***ery. And, the worst of these, is when the stationary exercise torture device is in front of a mirror so you can take a full accounting of your sins while you are bored, uncomfortable, and struggling with existential dilemmas like, "If we are star stuff, what have I done so wrong in my life that all those essential universal elements coalesced and reformed to put me on something as horrible as a treadmill."
    While the idea of a fudgery sounds great, I don't know how it fits into the rest of your post. I agree with your assessment of indoor exercise that does not involve chasing a ball of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    eight below zero this morning means we're issuing a Frozen Nose Hairs alert on the big walk...but at least it's bright and sunny, which is nice.
    Frozen nose hairs happen at 2 below, according to the scientific evidence I collected in Burlington Vermont almost 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Frozen nose hairs happen at 2 below, according to the scientific evidence I collected in Burlington Vermont almost 20 years ago.
    I saw that study. It was underpowered.

I saw that study. It was underpowered.
    It was painfully accurate. Had to move back south for some control group numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It was painfully accurate. Had to move back south for some control group numbers.
    Perhaps the 2 coldest experiences in my life were lecturing in Omaha with -40 wind chill and a 40 night in New Orleans when it was super windy. My body could not tell the difference in those 2 days.

A year ago I did the fitness center thing at work regularly, but now I only do indoor exercises at home. That's really boring so I started walking soon after the various COVID avoidance measures went into effect and have found it to be really enjoyable. I walk for about an hour and I don't have anything playing in my ear, just natural sounds and natural sights. Over the months I have gotten to know several of four-legged residents of my neighborhood and greet them each day. I also sometimes talk with their attached humans. All in all a morning walk is just a pleasant thing.

I carry my phone with me, but only use it to check the time or take pictures of interesting things. Some of the interesting things lead to questions of "Why, what is that, how does it work?" I have friends who are good at answering such questions and it gives me another excuse to talk with them. Here are some examples.

Jet Contrails. How do they form? Why do they sometimes linger for an hour and sometimes dissipate in a few seconds.
    contrails.jpg

Frost. Sometimes it forms on cars when the temperature is above freezing. Why? I think I can answer that. It's because... physics.
    frost.jpg

Holly with berries and no leaves. What's with that?
    holly-no-leaves.jpg

Sunrise and clouds, just because it's nice. I walk early and see sunrise most mornings.
    sunrise.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    A year ago I did the fitness center thing at work regularly, but now I only do indoor exercises at home. That's really boring so I started walking soon after the various COVID avoidance measures went into effect and have found it to be really enjoyable. I walk for about an hour and I don't have anything playing in my ear, just natural sounds and natural sights. Over the months I have gotten to know several of four-legged residents of my neighborhood and greet them each day. I also sometimes talk with their attached humans. All in all a morning walk is just a pleasant thing.

I carry my phone with me, but only use it to check the time or take pictures of interesting things. Some of the interesting things lead to questions of "Why, what is that, how does it work?" I have friends who are good at answering such questions and it gives me another excuse to talk with them. Here are some examples.

Jet Contrails. How do they form? Why do they sometimes linger for an hour and sometimes dissipate in a few seconds.
    contrails.jpg

Frost. Sometimes it forms on cars when the temperature is above freezing. Why? I think I can answer that. It's because... physics.
    frost.jpg

holly-no-leaves.jpg

Sunrise and clouds, just because it's nice. I walk early and see sunrise most mornings.
    sunrise.jpg
    What a beautiful post.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

contrails.jpg

frost.jpg

holly-no-leaves.jpg

sunrise.jpg
    My step sister-in-law's brother (I think that's right) is deep into the contrails conspiracy theories if you would like me to make an introduction. I'm sure he could tell you exactly why some of them linger.

good one, camion, I walk every day and never bring music or a phone, just check out what's happening in the woods, etc...today's main attraction was two pileated woodpeckers having some fun in the sun. I find walking to be enjoyably addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    My step sister-in-law's brother (I think that's right) is deep into the contrails conspiracy theories if you would like me to make an introduction. I'm sure he could tell you exactly why some of them linger.
    Engage him in a discussion of the law of dispersion of gases. Hilarity will ensue. And the only things that ensue are kickoffs and hilarity.

Good start:https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/gas-dispersion

A fun indoor activity (not saying its exercise), but a fun way to practice putting at home.

Puttout:

It's cheap (about $25). The practice mat is actually more expensive. The puttout "hole" was designed by an engineer to simulate a real hole such that the ball rolls up the ramp and rolls back the same distance as if it rolled past the hole. It has a little micro target that catches the ball if you hit a perfect shot. The mat has a stimp of about 10.

https://www.puttout.golf
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    A fun indoor activity (not saying its exercise), but a fun way to practice putting at home.

Puttout:

It's cheap (about $25). The practice mat is actually more expensive. The puttout "hole" was designed by an engineer to simulate a real hole such that the ball rolls up the ramp and rolls back the same distance as if it rolled past the hole. It has a little micro target that catches the ball if you hit a perfect shot. The mat has a stimp of about 10.

https://www.puttout.golf
    It is the real life version of Lee Carvallo's putting challenge!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So . . . How we starting 2021?
    Finally found a mask that is relatively comfortable for running on a treadmill. Cheap, disposable, white and blue paper mask. Had my best run yesterday since before the pandemic. Long way to go to get back in the shape I prefer but having a workable mask makes a huge difference.