Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    toughest thing we have to learn to do as we age is pace ourselves...and it takes discipline to do so. I can get compulsive about some of my exercising and yard work but have come to realize that if I do too much I'll pay for it.

I'm heading outside for some more yard work momentarily, but I've set a time limit so hopefully I feel good tomorrow and can do more work...
    Yeah, I struggle with pacing myself. Camp Gladiator workouts can be quite competitive and I'm keeping up with guy 20 years younger.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Yeah, I struggle with pacing myself. Camp Gladiator workouts can be quite competitive and I'm keeping up with guy 20 years younger.
    ya, I have myself on the equivalent of a pitch count, but I suspect I'm significantly older than you.

I used to have a big group of friends who, in our 30s and 40s would run a lot of 10ks...what I have noticed, purely anecdotally, is that in general (key word) most of the guys who transitioned into stuff like fast walking (my approach) have had far fewer issues with joints, backs and other body parts. A lot less pounding seems to do me good, and I've been lucky to stay pretty healthy...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ya, I have myself on the equivalent of a pitch count, but I suspect I'm significantly older than you.

I used to have a big group of friends who, in our 30s and 40s would run a lot of 10ks...what I have noticed, purely anecdotally, is that in general (key word) most of the guys who transitioned into stuff like fast walking (my approach) have had far fewer issues with joints, backs and other body parts. A lot less pounding seems to do me good, and I've been lucky to stay pretty healthy...
    I gave up running decades ago. My knees thank me! I stick to biking now, on single track when I can or bike paths and roads when I must. But only when it's not too cold out or my knees emphatically don't thank me.

-jk

I’ve had a rough first quarter of the year that not only set me back on my health goals but moved me much further in the opposite direction. 2 family remembers passed away in early Feb (one expected and the other not), my own dad was in critical health conditions 3 times between Jan and now, and this is all while I’m trying to learn how to handle my new career position and go to school for a new role at work that gave me more responsibility and less free time. Ive been doing much better the past 3 weeks but I’d be lying if I said it was easy to even motivate myself to even try some days. Hoping the rest of the year is like the last 3 week.

Biggest factors for negativity have been an increase in alcohol, eating out more often (lack of motivation to cook/prep), sleeping more, and spending less times with friends (Single with no kids so that’s not a source of support and actual family is deceased, other side of the country or have become a bit…. Unreasonable with age (my dad). I recognize it’s a spell of depression and got help to get through it. Still, it’s hard to find joy in taking care of yourself sometime when things are rough.
    Last edited by JNort; 04-19-2024 at 11:31 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I’ve had a rough first quarter of the year that not only set me back on my health goals but moved me much further in the opposite direction. 2 family remembers passed away in early Feb (one expected and the other not), my own dad was in critical health conditions 3 times between Jan and now, and this is all while I’m trying to learn how to handle my new career position and go to school for a new role at work that gave me more responsibility and less free time. Ive been doing much better the past 3 weeks but I’d be lying if I said it was easy to even motivate myself to even try some days. Hoping the rest of the year is like the last 3 week.

Biggest factors for negativity have been an increase in alcohol, eating out more often (lack of motivation to cook/prep), sleeping more, and spending less times with friends (Single with no kids so that’s not a source of support and actual family is deceased, other side of the country or have become a bit…. Unreasonable with age (my dad). I recognize it’s a spell of depression and got help to get through it. Still, it’s hard to find joy in taking care of yourself sometime when things are rough.
    Keep your head up. Seems like a tough couple of months. Glad you are seeking help. Life is hard, nothing wrong with getting a little help. I’ve always found working out as a great way to battle depression. There’s something calming about physical activity. It also builds confidence and can provide a level of accomplishment and pride that counter the depression. I hope you are able to get back to the gym soon. Good luck.

Sorry to hear, I hope you are on a path back. You are not alone in those struggles, and I am glad you reached out to someone for assistance. That’s a great sign and a big step towards health.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I gave up running decades ago. My knees thank me! I stick to biking now, on single track when I can or bike paths and roads when I must. But only when it's not too cold out or my knees emphatically don't thank me.

-jk
    ya, biking is excellent, too. Just have to be able to do something to get outside, get the heart rate up, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sorry to hear, I hope you are on a path back. You are not alone in those struggles, and I am glad you reached out to someone for assistance. That’s a great sign and a big step towards health.
    indeed, hang in there, it happens to most of us at some point...be well.

I’ve had a rough first quarter...
    Sounds rough indeed; so sorry to hear.

Am impressed with the insights and steps you've offered/taken. As others have said, you are not alone - others will be there for you (especially when you invite them).

Hang in there. I've been there. Please continue to take care of yourself. It is OK if the fitness motivation is not there, but I hope you can find some time to move and get some sun, even if it is a 10 minute walk around the parking lot.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Thank you all for the support. It was definitely tough and still is but being able to find the correct or rather more healthy means of doing so was the biggest step. My alcohol consumption has been cut back some, I’ve not picked up running again but am walking 2-3 miles. Thankfully family and friends stepped up and sought me out to provide support as I was feeling very alone when I probably shouldn’t have. Happy to still be where I am as a person and am looking forward to continuing my own self improvement. Down almost 7lbs in the last 30 days after gaining about 15 lbs the first 2.5 months. Couldn’t have handled it well as I did (which still wasn’t great tbh) without the love and support of my sisters, brother and some close friends/cousins. I get that I’m young (relative to this board anyway) so losing loved ones is still relatively new and will probably only become more common as I age. Props to those of you who made it through tough times without the social interactions of those online back in the day, yall are truly a different breed of perseverance.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Hang in there. I've been there. Please continue to take care of yourself. It is OK if the fitness motivation is not there, but I hope you can find some time to move and get some sun, even if it is a 10 minute walk around the parking lot.
    Thank you. Youre words and those above are truly felt. I’ve been doing better recently about just getting out and walking for 30mins to an hour after work which definitely has helped. I am wanting to try to get back to focusing on weights and more intense cardio once I get back to my normal weight. It will take longer to heal mentally but the physical aspect should help once a routine is back in order.

Thank you all for the support. It was definitely tough and still is but being able to find the correct or rather more healthy means of doing so was the biggest step. My alcohol consumption has been cut back some, I’ve not picked up running again but am walking 2-3 miles. Thankfully family and friends stepped up and sought me out to provide support as I was feeling very alone when I probably shouldn’t have. Happy to still be where I am as a person and am looking forward to continuing my own self improvement. Down almost 7lbs in the last 30 days after gaining about 15 lbs the first 2.5 months. Couldn’t have handled it well as I did (which still wasn’t great tbh) without the love and support of my sisters, brother and some close friends/cousins. I get that I’m young (relative to this board anyway) so losing loved ones is still relatively new and will probably only become more common as I age. Props to those of you who made it through tough times without the social interactions of those online back in the day, yall are truly a different breed of perseverance.
    Glad to hear the good report JNort! You got this.

Reading both of your posts I was just thinking that you are 1/2 home and may not even know it. Going through a tough stretch and battling depression is normal (especially for the events you've had to deal with). Being as self-aware as you are is not as common and it's why I say you're 1/2 way back to being more healthy already. For me working out is something that I do because I know it helps with depression. Getting started and getting momentum is often the most difficult part, especially when or friend depression tells us not to work out. Sounds like you've got a little momentum going as well. My compliments on keeping your head above water and getting that momentum going!