Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Emma Lovewell, eh? Is this Peloton's X-rated version?
    "Peloton After Dark"

Making up for some slackitude late last month while vacationing/traveling: 27,115 steps yesterday with walking and yard work. 30,093 steps Wednesday with walking and yard work. Ya know, The Fitness Thread.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Making up for some slackitude late last month while vacationing/traveling: 27,115 steps yesterday with walking and yard work. 30,093 steps Wednesday with walking and yard work. Ya know, The Fitness Thread.
    Ymm, steps.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ymm, steps.
    Good chance I'll hit 25k steps today and tomorrow, too. Yea, I'm a slacker.

Quite a good feeling to amass almost 16k steps (6.9 miles) before noon with a 75 minute walk and nearly 3.5 hours of yard work (no lawns were mowed in the process).

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Any peloton fans on here? I picked one up during the start of the coronavirus lock in and have really enjoyed having it, especially since I am avoiding the gym and mtb trails are inconsistently available due to rain.

Have not tried any of their running workouts but enjoy the cycling and meditation. Heading for the bike now...
    I love my peloton which I also got at the beginning of lock down. I do a ride almost every day, and I enjoy the competitive aspect.

For runners, I highly recommend “peloton outdoor“, which is one of the options on the app (which you can get without the bike). There are a variety of runs: different lengths, different music, different styles. I particularly like the HIIT runs and Interval runs (HIIT is a more intense interval run). I ran a lot when I was younger, but had stopped once it got hard on my back, hips and knees. But using the peloton outdoor app for short, intense runs has really helped me get back into it. And so far no real pain ����).

By the way, there is a Duke Peloton group ride this Sunday at 10:30...if you haven’t seen that thread (started by NickSuperina)

The thread where generally exercise/fitness is discussed.

Almost 55K (about 25 miles) steps over the weekend (78K/36 miles if Friday is included) with walking and lots of yardwork (with many small "strides"). Alveoli still working well and cough and fever free, thankfully.

Yep, there's still a Fitness Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Quite a good feeling to amass almost 16k steps (6.9 miles) before noon with a 75 minute walk and nearly 3.5 hours of yard work (no lawns were mowed in the process).
    Okay...I have to compliment you on your step output! Very impressive. I used to be obsessed with my Fitbit steps (although rarely did I hit your milestones). But since I got my peloton, my data obsession has been fed by the numbers on my bike. And, thankfully, I can compete directly against others in my age group, which makes me feel a lot better than when I am included with those dang 30 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Okay...I have to compliment you on your step output! Very impressive. I used to be obsessed with my Fitbit steps (although rarely did I hit your milestones). But since I got my peloton, my data obsession has been fed by the numbers on my bike. And, thankfully, I can compete directly against others in my age group, which makes me feel a lot better than when I am included with those dang 30 year olds.
    When our ballroom dancing events/practice parties "disappeared" in early March, I vowed to add 15 minutes to my daily walks and have been amazingly faithful with that commitment. My wife "competes" with our children and their spouses with their Fitbit step counts and two of the grandkids also have Fitbits and compete with each other and sometimes the adults with their #s. I really should be performing some upper body strengthening exercises, too, as those diminishing 12 ounce curls don't seem to add much tone/strength to the physique.

Anybody using a Stryd running pod? Recently procured and will be soon seeking advice on:
    - running mechanics information - i.e., I've got the data, so now what?
    - running on treadmills

Any other DBR Strava users?

I haven't been following this thread at all, and, generally speaking, I have not been good at exercising, despite the fact that my father is a retired exercise physiologist.

For a while my wife and I got a membership at the local Y and actually went three times a week. This lasted for over a year and came to a screeching halt when the pandemic hit. When I went to the Y, I worked the ellipticals, and did a small amount of free weights.

It finally occurred to me last week that I could actually buy an elliptical machine and have one at home! What a concept! And that if I did, I could do the same workout I used to do, but without having to drive back and forth to the Y and without having to expose myself to sick people. So, I put in an order for the Sole E25 (it's their cheapest machine, but it has a fairly large/heavy flywheel and weighs a ton, which are two of the most important things about home ellipticals). Coulda, shoulda, woulda spent $400 more on the E35, but I think this one will be fine.

I know a lot of people buy stuff like this and then hang laundry on it, but since I was able to stick to it at the Y, I feel like I will be able to stick to it at home, if I schedule the times. I never thought about buying an expensive piece of exercise equipment before, but the thing pays for itself in about 18-24 months depending on what your local gym costs. So, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a no-brainer.

They are on backorder. I think the pandemic made a lot of people think the same thoughts I had, or at least made them think that they weren't sure they ever wanted to go to a gym again and use shared equipment, lol. They said to anticipate it would take a month from ordering to when it arrives, so early December, I guess. And apparently it takes the better part of 2-2.5 hours to assemble (not looking forward to that). But I am looking forward to actually being able to get at least a semblance of a workout without having to fight the weather and other people.

After I get the thing put together I'll update the thread about how it is working out (and how hard it was/how long it took to put it together).
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I haven't been following this thread at all, and, generally speaking, I have not been good at exercising, despite the fact that my father is a retired exercise physiologist.

For a while my wife and I got a membership at the local Y and actually went three times a week. This lasted for over a year and came to a screeching halt when the pandemic hit. When I went to the Y, I worked the ellipticals, and did a small amount of free weights.

It finally occurred to me last week that I could actually buy an elliptical machine and have one at home! What a concept! And that if I did, I could do the same workout I used to do, but without having to drive back and forth to the Y and without having to expose myself to sick people. So, I put in an order for the Sole E25 (it's their cheapest machine, but it has a fairly large/heavy flywheel and weighs a ton, which are two of the most important things about home ellipticals). Coulda, shoulda, woulda spent $400 more on the E35, but I think this one will be fine.

I know a lot of people buy stuff like this and then hang laundry on it, but since I was able to stick to it at the Y, I feel like I will be able to stick to it at home, if I schedule the times. I never thought about buying an expensive piece of exercise equipment before, but the thing pays for itself in about 18-24 months depending on what your local gym costs. So, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a no-brainer.

They are on backorder. I think the pandemic made a lot of people think the same thoughts I had, or at least made them think that they weren't sure they ever wanted to go to a gym again and use shared equipment, lol. They said to anticipate it would take a month from ordering to when it arrives, so early December, I guess. And apparently it takes the better part of 2-2.5 hours to assemble (not looking forward to that). But I am looking forward to actually being able to get at least a semblance of a workout without having to fight the weather and other people.

After I get the thing put together I'll update the thread about how it is working out (and how hard it was/how long it took to put it together).

Good luck, Sole makes good stuff. We have a Sole treadmill that's been great. Note that with a treadmill or elliptical, you can hang clothes on it and then just put them on your bed while you workout :-)

Being in healthcare you know how important exercise is and I imagine you've had a heck of a year. I mean just keeping us in formed on the pandemic thread is a part time job!

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I use it on occasion, primarily for mountain biking. Segments are great.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Good luck, Sole makes good stuff. We have a Sole treadmill that's been great. Note that with a treadmill or elliptical, you can hang clothes on it and then just put them on your bed while you workout :-)

Being in healthcare you know how important exercise is and I imagine you've had a heck of a year. I mean just keeping us in formed on the pandemic thread is a part time job!
    Plus, he gets paid in sporks!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    I use it on occasion, primarily for mountain biking. Segments are great.
    Yes, absent of training for a specific race, time, etc., I think the segments are a nice motivator.

So . . . How we starting 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So . . . How we starting 2021?
    It’s Girl Scout Cookie season. So, not great.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Yes, for cycling and running. I also recommend the fun relive app.