Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    First 5:30 workout of the year this morning, in conjunction with the first day back at school after the holidays. Definitely working out some kinks, and I've got this nagging hip thing that's worrying me a bit, but all in all, it felt good to be back.

Two years ago today, I walked into the gym having never lifted weights with any intention and unable to run one mile in 10 minutes.

Now, on this anniversary, I can do 10 pull-ups and myriad other resistance-based accomplishments, and I consistently run 5k in about 23 minutes (sometimes even faster).
    Feeling proud and I guess a little nostalgic.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Two years ago today, I walked into the gym having never lifted weights with any intention and unable to run one mile in 10 minutes.

Now, on this anniversary, I can do 10 pull-ups and myriad other resistance-based accomplishments, and I consistently run 5k in about 23 minutes (sometimes even faster).
    Feeling proud and I guess a little nostalgic.
    That's good work, wilson. 10 pull ups is not something that most people can do and 23 minutes is really good! You should feel proud.

I have a question.

First some background. I am 47, 185# @ 5'10" and only have 1 lung. (Germ cell tumor in my chest when I was 22 yo.)

I have tried to keep relatively fit for years with the usual ups and downs. I would say the last 5 years or so I've been carrying an extra 10 to 15 pounds. (My doctor has agreed with this) Not horrible but not ideal.

My blood pressure has always been fine up until last summer/fall when it started to creep up a bit. This is in direct correlation to starting a new job that keeps me at my desk much more than in the past.

So, I decided to get serious about exercise again and have been good about getting to the gym about 6 days a week since around Thanksgiving, and eating healthy breakfasts and lunches, and keeping a closer eye on dinners. With maybe a little break at Christmas for a couple days. Feeling much better all around and the blood pressure seems to have improved a bit.

Now to the question. The only time M-F that I have regularly available to go to the gym is 5:30AM to 6:30AM. (Full time job plus 3 active teenagers at home keeps me occupied the rest) I find that I can't seem to get my heart rate going as high and it takes a lot longer at that hour of the day. When I go on Saturdays or Sundays at around 10:00AM I get a much better cardio workout.

Any insight on how to get my body to wake up at 5:30AM enough to get a better workout in? I'm not sure I can possibly get up any earlier than the 5AM that I already am and with 3 teens I'm not sure I can go to bed any earlier. My barely 7 hours of sleep a night seems pretty critical.

Just thought I'd ask.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I have a question.

First some background. I am 47, 185# @ 5'10" and only have 1 lung. (Germ cell tumor in my chest when I was 22 yo.)

I have tried to keep relatively fit for years with the usual ups and downs. I would say the last 5 years or so I've been carrying an extra 10 to 15 pounds. (My doctor has agreed with this) Not horrible but not ideal.

Now to the question. The only time M-F that I have regularly available to go to the gym is 5:30AM to 6:30AM. (Full time job plus 3 active teenagers at home keeps me occupied the rest) I find that I can't seem to get my heart rate going as high and it takes a lot longer at that hour of the day. When I go on Saturdays or Sundays at around 10:00AM I get a much better cardio workout.

Any insight on how to get my body to wake up at 5:30AM enough to get a better workout in? I'm not sure I can possibly get up any earlier than the 5AM that I already am and with 3 teens I'm not sure I can go to bed any earlier. My barely 7 hours of sleep a night seems pretty critical.

Just thought I'd ask.
    I'll give it a shot. The routine I sort of stumbled into three years ago generated pretty much the results I think you're looking for.
    My background: I retired three years ago at age 66. I weighed 205 at the time, and I'm 6'2". In hopes of not turning into a creaky old many too quickly, I joined a gym (LA Fitness) and signed up with a trainer.
    Three months later, I had lost twenty pounds and obviously added muscle. And the slightly flabby areas I had previously disappeared. As their training manager had told me in his sales pitch, once the new muscle mass was added to my body, I would naturally burn more calories even at rest, and keeping the weight off would not require anything extra.

That is in fact exactly what I happened and I've been very pleased with the results.

Keep in mind that I do not at all consider myself very well informed on fitness activities at all. But I listed to what the trainers said (I've worked with two different ones), and got the results I wanted and that they had promised.

The thing I felt both the trainers were very good at is making sure during any workout (I was just doing 25 minute sessions with them), that for whatever specific muscle group we were working on that day (shoulders, biceps, chest, legs, etc.) that I was properly positioned so the work was focused tightly on those muscles. There was often a very obvious difference in what something felt like when I happened to start a routine with some part of my position, grip, posture, etc. not oriented like they wanted it. The changes would sometimes be nothing more than overhand or underhand grip; wider, narrower grip; thumb position or some other minor change. They were just very good at making sure that my position forced the effort to be focused on the specific muscles for that day - and I wasn't "cheating" by have some other muscle group contribute to the work.

And like I said, I was very happy with the results. So if you're willing to spring for a little extra money for a trainer; and if you get trainers that know what they were doing, I think you can get what you want without too much pain.

Oh, and as far as frequency, I was doing about three sessions per month with a trainer. I would typically ride a bike or do treadmill for another 15 or so minutes just for some extra aerobic value. And I'd go to the gym once or twice a week additionally on my own to work on whatever I felt like doing.

So it worked for me. Now I'm 70 years old and still not a creaky old man. Just old

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I have a question.

My blood pressure has always been fine up until last summer/fall when it started to creep up a bit. This is in direct correlation to starting a new job that keeps me at my desk much more than in the past.

So, I decided to get serious about exercise again and have been good about getting to the gym about 6 days a week since around Thanksgiving, and eating healthy breakfasts and lunches, and keeping a closer eye on dinners. With maybe a little break at Christmas for a couple days. Feeling much better all around and the blood pressure seems to have improved a bit.

Just thought I'd ask.
    Take a cold shower for a minute or two? It will shock your body awake. If you're doing cardio you could also try to throw in a few intervals to push yourself and elevate your HR.

Is this the right place to post this?

Snickers.jpg

4,700 pounds, 2 feet high, the size of 43,000 individual bars put together. A Guinness certified World Record.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is this the right place to post this?

Snickers.jpg

4,700 pounds, 2 feet high, the size of 43,000 individual bars put together. A Guinness certified World Record.
    And all yours, amirite?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

five mile walk commencing in one hour, -2 degrees right now, all visitors are welcome!

I'm about 1.5 lbs away from the goal weight I set for myself a few months ago. Usually when I want to get in shape I go hard and fast and do stuff like Insanity and P90x. This time I've done more slow and steady. Treadmill and lifting 3-5 days a week and dietary changes (cut out sweets/deserts like BD80's giant Snickers bar). Hopefully I can reach that number in the next couple of weeks and figure out what the next goal will be (more weight off or maintain while I'm lifting more...)

Yesterday I was able to bench using 45lb plates for the first time since I separated my shoulder. That was a refreshing milestone. Of course the first thing I did was add 10 more lbs to each side and go again but I'm stubborn like that. I know that's not much but I've never been a guy that would bench much and that shoulder injury (over 2 years ago) really had and effect.

In full transparency my goal weight is 155 lbs and I was around 168-170 in September. For me 13 lbs is a decent percentage. Actually looking forward to hitting the scale tomorrow since I used an exercise bike for an hour this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Take a cold shower for a minute or two?
    Fitness thread, not Fornication

Started back exercising and eating healthy in August; backslid from Halloween to the New Year holiday, and started back with a vengeance about a month ago.

Results? Down 15 pounds since the start point in August, and down 8 1/2 pounds since Christmas. Just outside the top of the zone I want to maintain (for me, between about 163 and 168).

Even though BMI says I should get down to under 160, Mrs.PK says that people at church asks if I am sick if I drop below about 163. I guess BMI is not made for burly Irishmen.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Started back exercising and eating healthy in August; backslid from Halloween to the New Year holiday, and started back with a vengeance about a month ago.

Results? Down 15 pounds since the start point in August, and down 8 1/2 pounds since Christmas. Just outside the top of the zone I want to maintain (for me, between about 163 and 168).

Even though BMI says I should get down to under 160, Mrs.PK says that people at church asks if I am sick if I drop below about 163. I guess BMI is not made for burly Irishmen.
    Great job!
    FWIW, my PCP has told me not to put too much stock in BMI. I'm at the higher end of the "healthy" range too, but all of my other measurables are in good shape these days.

After having reached my goal weight through some fairly consistent workouts and diet adjustments I decided to start "Insanity MAX:30" last week. Shaun T kick by arse every day last week and again this morning (didn't make my workout yesterday I HAD to go play golf instead). All the people in those videos are about 1/2 my age but I should be able to keep up. Hopefully I can stick with these workouts for a while because I feel like I've created a good baseline and these can help me take my fitness to the next level (break through a bit of a plateau). Mostly I post this for accountability, I want to be able to post in this thread in a few weeks and report that I'm still at it.

I've been getting back into a good rhythm with my runs...three sub-23:00 5k's last week for the first time in quite a while. I've been trying to run with some meditative purpose, based in part on the principles laid out in the book Running with the Mind of Meditation. It's been working so far, and a nice complement to some also-ongoing mental health work.
    My weight baseline is also up a touch these days because I've built some nice additional muscle mass in recent weeks. That's nice in the broad sense, but I'm still trying to get clearly equilibrated so I can more easily track weekly fluctuations/progress on the scale.

I know many will scoff at the inclusion of Pickleball in this thread, but give it a shot. My obsession with the sport led me help out my fitness club start the sport, which then led me to take a Pickleball Coordinator position and become involved in Life Time Fitness' national leadership for Pickleball and youth Pickleball. In the last year, my club's program has grown to over one hundred "regular" players and more than 300 that asked to be on our mailing list.

Over the last week or so, I have discussions with at least a half-dozen players who credit Pickleball as a significant factor in weight loss and/or improved conditioning. It may not be the cardio that racquetball or tennis offer, but it is much more fun and infinitely more social. The enjoyment level brings players in regularly - which is the absolute essential element of success - regular exercise.

Pickleball is also unique in that it is accessible for almost everyone. Although it isn't just for older people, there is an active segment that caters to older players. At an athletic club, we attract much more athletic players, which tends to scare less athletic potential players. However, Pickleball is easy to play at a basic level, so even less athletic people can enjoy the sport and find competition at a comfortable level.

If anyone is trying to find a way to get more exercise into their lives, and have fun doing it, I recommend Pickleball. It works!

Another Duke grad promotes himself as "The Pickleball Doctor." Noe Sariban is the Official Team Engage Physical Therapist. Noe is a Doctor of Physical Therapy (Duke Med), Certified Pickleball Teaching Professional, and a Team Engage Pickleball Sponsored Athlete. Engage also sponsors Life Time Fitness. https://www.thepickleballdoctor.com/

Provided that I get up and get the job done tomorrow, this will be my first 5-workout week in quite a while. It’s been something of a struggle in recent weeks, although exercise has been an important boost for my mental health of late. I’ve also lost all but one of my holiday pounds, which is providing some nice motivation to keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Provided that I get up and get the job done tomorrow, this will be my first 5-workout week in quite a while. It’s been something of a struggle in recent weeks, although exercise has been an important boost for my mental health of late. I’ve also lost all but one of my holiday pounds, which is providing some nice motivation to keep it up.
    Way to go, wilson!

The canine and I are heading out shortly, sunny (good!) but -10F (less good), would love to have company. How the dog does this stark nekked is quite impressive, but this is what Labradors do...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The canine and I are heading out shortly, sunny (good!) but -10F (less good), would love to have company. How the dog does this stark nekked is quite impressive, but this is what Labradors do...
    You'd be much better off waiting a few minutes, at least until it warmed up to -9F.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.