Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 631
  1. #601
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    I noticed that the cake, chocolate, seafood and turkey threads were all ahead of this one and sensed a change was in order.

  2. #602
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I noticed that the cake, chocolate, seafood and turkey threads were all ahead of this one and sensed a change was in order.
    The fat rises to the top?

  3. #603
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The fat rises to the top?
    Turkey is high protein, low fat. Excellent for fitness.

  4. #604
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Time for me to get back on the horse, I think. I lost ~50 pounds between March and June last year while working from home, and kept it off through November, when I went back to work in person. I think I've gained most of it back now (can't confirm as I haven't stepped on a scale in a while), so it's time to get back into a running/healthy eating routine before I am totally back to square one. Nice day for it, at least! The challenge will be figuring out how to consistently replicate the healthy lifestyle I cultivated working from home now that I'm back in the office.

  5. #605
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Time for me to get back on the horse, I think. I lost ~50 pounds between March and June last year while working from home, and kept it off through November, when I went back to work in person. I think I've gained most of it back now (can't confirm as I haven't stepped on a scale in a while), so it's time to get back into a running/healthy eating routine before I am totally back to square one. Nice day for it, at least! The challenge will be figuring out how to consistently replicate the healthy lifestyle I cultivated working from home now that I'm back in the office.
    I went through the same cycle, stepping back on the scale some time in November or December to confirm the diagnosis. I committed to three things: weighing myself regularly, roughly counting calories and getting at least 30 minutes of cardio a week, with hopefully regular daily moderate exercise. I’ve definitely felt positive results.
    Carolina delenda est

  6. #606
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I noticed that the cake, chocolate, seafood and turkey threads were all ahead of this one and sensed a change was in order.
    A bit over 15K steps for the day so far (7.3 miles) and the evening walk still to come.

    Makes me think about a different dessert...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #607
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Turkey is high protein, low fat. Excellent for fitness.
    To be sure. But when one adds mayo, cheese, a side order of chips, sweet tea with unlimited refills. . . .

  8. #608
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    To be sure. But when one adds mayo, cheese, a side order of chips, sweet tea with unlimited refills. . . .
    There are no calories in “fixins” if you eat them standing up.

    True.

  9. #609
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sea Island, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    There are no calories in “fixins” if you eat them standing up.

    True.
    Also, if you don’t use a plate there are no calories. Or so I have been told...

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    To be sure. But when one adds mayo, cheese, a side order of chips, sweet tea with unlimited refills. . . .
    Whaaaaaa? No seafood?!?!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  11. #611
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Whaaaaaa? No seafood?!?!
    Seafood and turkey? Now, that would be weird.

    But I did inadvertently leave out bacon as a turkey add-on. Or turkey as a bacon add-on.

    All things in moderation. Including moderation.

  12. #612
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Seafood and turkey? Now, that would be weird.

    But I did inadvertently leave out bacon as a turkey add-on. Or turkey as a bacon add-on.

    All things in moderation. Including moderation.
    As long as you're consistent with your moderation.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  13. #613
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    As long as you're consistent with your moderation.
    Is moderately consistent good enough?

  14. #614
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Is moderately consistent good enough?
    Should be. Consistently moderate also works.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  15. #615
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I've really been "enjoying" playing YouTube fitness video roulette when I'm losing motivation and just want to get in a 20-30 minute sweat. Lots of good free HIIT, tabata, blahblah workouts out there for free. No weights, weights, circuits, no repeats. Some of the personalities are better than others but it's nice to not have to think about what I'm doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I’ve long used the excuse that I’m too long to build significant muscle mass. Squats and bent over rows, in particular, after a certain weight feel unstable and unsafe for me. Deadlifts are pretty good because I have long arms but for those too I feel pretty awkward generating the initial thrust from an unnatural position.

    I’m 6’4”. Not sure I’ve ever measured properly but I think my wingspan is pretty good and I’ve got long legs and never had an ample derrière.

    Lots of excuses but I do lift for overall health and miss the gym.
    IMO, the reason you can't build significant muscle mass is because you are emphasizing (at least for the last month or so) bodyweight circuit workouts instead of lifting heavy, compound movements.

    If your squats and rows feel unstable be sure to train your core too: GHDs, reverse hypers, if you have access to them.

    If the starting position for a deadlift is unnatural to you, you may have an ankle mobility issue, but I truly believe anyone can build muscle if they really want to. Lift heavy, eat big and clean, and the gains have to come.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

  16. #616
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    IMO, the reason you can't build significant muscle mass is because you are emphasizing (at least for the last month or so) bodyweight circuit workouts instead of lifting heavy, compound movements.

    If your squats and rows feel unstable be sure to train your core too: GHDs, reverse hypers, if you have access to them.

    If the starting position for a deadlift is unnatural to you, you may have an ankle mobility issue, but I truly believe anyone can build muscle if they really want to. Lift heavy, eat big and clean, and the gains have to come.
    I have put on about 4 lbs of muscle since January 1st with my workout. Now I eat about 4500 calories a day, but pretty limited carbohydrates. I am a big proponent of eating fat but no sugars.

  17. #617
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    IMO, the reason you can't build significant muscle mass is because you are emphasizing (at least for the last month or so) bodyweight circuit workouts instead of lifting heavy, compound movements.

    If your squats and rows feel unstable be sure to train your core too: GHDs, reverse hypers, if you have access to them.

    If the starting position for a deadlift is unnatural to you, you may have an ankle mobility issue, but I truly believe anyone can build muscle if they really want to. Lift heavy, eat big and clean, and the gains have to come.
    Oh, I definitely add muscle; I just have consistently reached a place where certain levels of weight begin to feel dangerous and so I don't try to push it beyond that. I'm sure consistent training and loading would result in incremental gains but they just don't feel safe to me, particularly since I've had occasional back issues over the years. Certain body types are clearly more conducive to different types of sports and athletic pursuits --- I'm a strong, natural swimmer, for instance, but just have the long, reedy build that's not great for lifting.

    I do feel like I learned proper technique. I grew up in Texas and was one of the ISD's nationally known for its sports program so went through some of the standard MS and HS regimes, even got pumped full of creatine in off-season performance improvement programs that guaranteed to add X, Y, and Z amounts of weight and vertical leap, etc.

    It's been pre-COVID since I've been in a gym with access to weights other than what I have in my basement so I've been doing a lot of circuit work and general fitness, which is my goal. When I go back to the gym, I'll try to get back to my pre-COVID heavy, compound lifts 1-2X week.

  18. #618
    Have been beefing up the pushup routine. Trying to get to 500 in the fewest number of sets possible. When I ramped all the way up to 500 about 6 or 8 weeks ago it took me 12-13 sets to get to 500. I got there in 6 sets today for an average of 83/set.

  19. #619
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    I am looking forward to rejoining the gym after my second jab.

  20. #620
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    my understanding continues to be that there are few calories in melted cheese.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM
  2. Duke Fencer Named to President's Council on Physical Fitness
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2017, 11:52 AM
  3. Fitness tracker recommendations?
    By Turk in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-25-2016, 10:19 PM
  4. Posture in Health and Fitness
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •