Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    off to snow rake a neighbor's roof, which is a unique form of exercise.

Since getting back into my rhythm (or at least attempting to) late last spring, I've had a series of challenges that might have evolved into full-blown setbacks, but I'm pretty proud of how I've managed to persevere:
    • slight calf tear in early September; full shutdown of about 3 weeks followed by 3-4 more of easing back in
    • plantar fascitis flare-up the first week of November; about 2 weeks of less than optimal performance
    • family Covid infection right around New Years', forcing my own quarantine and another ~10-day pause/reset in fitness activities
    Even with all this, I've been able to maintain my daily 5k times in the low 23s (my aim these days is to finish the run in less than 23:30). My goals for later this year are:
    1. Run the Peachtree Road Race (Atlanta's famed 4th of July 10k, widely claimed to be the largest such event in the world by participation) in 45 minutes or less.
    2. Once and for all, for the first time in my life, get real abs.

I'm definitely trending in positive directions for both of those objectives, but seeking advice on a) how to springboard from my currently respectable 5k time to a run twice the length, while also shaving about 15 seconds per mile off my pace in the next ~6 months, and b) how to shed the last (incredibly pesky!) little bit of spare tire weight from my midsection. My abs are there, nicely visible on a good day, but that's the one area where I carry extra fat, and the final layer is just really hard to burn off.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Since getting back into my rhythm (or at least attempting to) late last spring, I've had a series of challenges that might have evolved into full-blown setbacks, but I'm pretty proud of how I've managed to persevere:
    • slight calf tear in early September; full shutdown of about 3 weeks followed by 3-4 more of easing back in
    • plantar fascitis flare-up the first week of November; about 2 weeks of less than optimal performance
    • family Covid infection right around New Years', forcing my own quarantine and another ~10-day pause/reset in fitness activities
    Even with all this, I've been able to maintain my daily 5k times in the low 23s (my aim these days is to finish the run in less than 23:30). My goals for later this year are:
    1. Run the Peachtree Road Race (Atlanta's famed 4th of July 10k, widely claimed to be the largest such event in the world by participation) in 45 minutes or less.

I'm definitely trending in positive directions for both of those objectives, but seeking advice on a) how to springboard from my currently respectable 5k time to a run twice the length, while also shaving about 15 seconds per mile off my pace in the next ~6 months, and b) how to shed the last (incredibly pesky!) little bit of spare tire weight from my midsection. My abs are there, nicely visible on a good day, but that's the one area where I carry extra fat, and the final layer is just really hard to burn off.
    First, great job having the perseverance to work through some issues and the discouragement that can attach to them. The mental game as important as the physical.

Second, I can't help with the 6-pack abs. The running improvements, though, yes. I'd recommend getting a copy of the Daniel's Running Formula. Jack Daniel's pulls together extensive research on the various levels of training (easy runs, intervals, tempo, long runs) and has plans for most race distances. An excellent resource that explains the purpose of each type of activity. A little tweaking might be necessary as each of us is an experiment of one. In my case, I train at a much higher level that 5K race times would permit - but my 5K, 10K, and half-marathon PR paces are almost identical. My lungs are my weak point but I don't break and (once upon a time) I could run forever. I hit my stride on the program at the marathon level.

As for specifics, it doesn't sound as though you are very far from your goal. If you are not doing some interval work, adding it in once a week will likely get you the improvement you're looking for in oxygen uptake and utilization. Don't over do it - more is not necessarily better and increases the risk of injury. Use the Daniel's formulas or an online calculator (many are built on his framework) to get the appropriate pace and repetitions. As for the long race, consider adding in a longer run at least once a month - twice a month would be better. I always felt more comfortable running slightly longer than race distance prepping for non-ultra events.

The other factor, consistency, you seem to have nailed.

Good luck!

Do you weight train at all? Deadlifts, squats, etc are great for helping with fat and are a strong core workout.

I cannot help with the distance (except to suggest you start adding some longer runs into your weekly routine). But as far as dropping your time, I highly recommend adding intervals into your 5K runs. Once or twice a week, after a 5-10’ warm-up pace, add intervals at a faster pace. You could start with 30 second bursts and then back off to your steady pace for a minute. Build up to longer and/or faster intervals (3’ faster, 1 minute steady pace). Those are just examples, but you can play with the timing, speed, recovery duration. And the interval doesn’t need to be a sprint, just a pace that is your desired race lane or a little faster.

Good luck! I ran the Peachtree many years ago, but the distance is too much for my “Tooold” body today!

Edit: I see Ultrarunner beat me to these suggestions….

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Like all Americans, my goal for the New Year is to get in better shape. I have two pre-teen sons and live in a modest Manhattan apartment so I have extremely limited space. I have a general sense of what works and doesn't work for me. I am not a runner. When I was a kid we had a Nordic Track ski machine and I enjoyed that, but it was in a house so we could leave it set up all the time. I generally enjoy doing ellipticals. I don't want any of the new subscription model type devices - I would just watch TV while using it. I am looking to improve my cardio, muscle tone, and all of my excess weight seems to gravitate to my mid-section (I would like to lose about 15 pounds so I am overweight but not obese). I have some dumbbells that are collecting dust in my closet - I need to start using those more.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I also believe that you get what you pay for so I don't want the super cheapo model that will fall apart in a week. Preferably something as small as possible that can be moved around relatively easily.

Thanks in advance.

Hard, unfun answer: Diet.

It is really hard to lose that last bit of body fat, the body fat that lingers for years and years (for guys around our midsection), by working out/sweating it off. It's nearly impossible, unless you are working out 2-3 times/day for 30-60 minutes. In short, it is really, really difficult to outwork a sub-optimal diet if you are past your teenage years.

The only way to lost that last body fat, in my experience, is by cutting out alcohol, and monitoring your macronutrient intake. However, the good news is that contrary to popular belief our metabolisms do not slow down due to age. They slow down due to myriad life reasons. From about age 20 to age 60, our metabolisms stay the same. The things that change are that folks start eating more work-catered lunches, takeout dinners, we start indulging in a glass of wine or beer on weeknights, lose sleep (this is a big one), add life stressors, and develop a sedentary lifestyle. Those are the reasons we carry that extra weight.

The stubborn fat can be shred, but you have to go all-in for 12-16 weeks to do it: slight calorie deficit, cut alcohol and processed foods, don't eat 90 minutes before bedtime, get 7-8 hours sleep/night, drink 100+ oz. water daily, eat 0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, do some form of full body resistance training a few times a week (squats/deadlifts). If you do all that, the abs will come.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Do you weight train at all? Deadlifts, squats, etc are great for helping with fat and are a strong core workout.
    Agree... this is key to both. Wilson, you are welcome to come by and lift in the carport sometime if you like. I am right behind Paideia.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

It sounds like you may be racing the clock very day for a 5K workout. I would advise against that--it will almost surely lead to injury. There are lots of training plans available and I recommend https://www.halhigdon.com/training/10k-training/ . I have not looked carefully at the 10K training program, but I've followed his marathon training program over 30 times. Notably, he suggests a lot of easy running as well as intervals and hill workouts. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yes, strength training is an integral part of my workout regimen, as are intervals. Typical routine is:
    • ~25 minutes lifting (3x10 sets of 5 exercises per day
    • 5k run (as I said, generally in the 23s these days)
    • cooldown period (6+ minutes) with alternating minutes of walking, then fast-paced run...to get me up to the 30-minute mark of cardio

Yes, strength training is an integral part of my workout regimen, as are intervals. Typical routine is:
    • ~25 minutes lifting (3x10 sets of 5 exercises per day
    25 minutes seems pretty short for 15 sets of 10 that are strength focused rather than cardio. Maybe consider mixing in some heavy days that require a bit of recovery. Running after heavy squats or deadlifts will make you feel like you are running on baby deer legs. You won't maintain your normal pace but you will get faster.

Breakthrough on my run today. I finished my 5k in 22:24, my fastest time in more than 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    off to snow rake a neighbor's roof, which is a unique form of exercise.
    Dang. I wanted to hear the hijinks of your neighbors raking their own roof.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Dang. I wanted to hear the hijinks of your neighbors raking their own roof.

-jk
    He's making that up. There is no such thing as a snow roof rake. Stop pulling our collective chains Budwom!

Beat my 5k personal record just now!

Wordle?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wordle?
    Nah man, this isn’t a joking matter for me today. I worked hard to make that happen.

Nah man, this isn’t a joking matter for me today. I worked hard to make that happen.
    Congrats!!!!

Huge, just huge! Congrats, my man! Well earned!
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Go wilson go! Congrats!

I used to not really like fitness, but lately I have been doing sports more and more. I actually lost weight and now feel better.