Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skysdad View Post
    Someone started a thread over at DI asking has there ever been a time when Duke athletics as a whole been more successful. It seems just about all our programs are doing well. I'm 65 years old and been a Duke fan since 1960 and I can't remember a time better. I know some of you have been Duke fans a long time. Has there been a better time?
    The 1962-63 season was pretty good. ACC champs at football with an 8-2 record (turned down the Gator Bowl). Undefeated in the ACC in hoops and first-ever Final Four (27-3), ranked #2 by AP in final poll.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It's hard to compare over eras because there are so many more sports these days, especially women's sports.

For example, Don "Ace" Altman quarterbacked Duke to a Cotton Bowl win in the 1960-61 season and a few months later pitched Duke to the CWS.

Try that today.

And the basketball team was in the top 10 all of that season.

But there were no women's sports in those days, so an apple and oranges comparison. Or Venus and Mars.

But it's nice to have Duke baseball nationally competitive. I've waited a long time for this.
    Always love the Don Altman shout out!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Interesting numbers.

Triangle schools are ranked 6-7-8 in this week's Baseball America Top 25.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/6-7-8-...ings/17552952/

Week in a sentence: The Blue Devils played themselves right back into the hosting race with a huge series win over rival North Carolina; Duke still trails in the Coastal Division but looks like a strong candidate to host a regional come June.
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/rank...seball-top-25/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The 1962-63 season was pretty good. ACC champs at football with an 8-2 record (turned down the Gator Bowl). Undefeated in the ACC in hoops and first-ever Final Four (27-3), ranked #2 by AP in final poll.
    I'm too tired to look it up(golf in 90 degree heat). But I think Duke went undefeated in conference play in basketball and football one year. I know Mr. Sumner knows. GoDuke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ouch!
    North Carolina junior catcher Cody Roberts had surgery Sunday after taking a foul ball to the groin in the series finale versus Duke.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-ca...duke/17553116/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm too tired to look it up(golf in 90 degree heat). But I think Duke went undefeated in conference play in basketball and football one year. I know Mr. Sumner knows. GoDuke!
    I just told you: The 1962-63 season. Duke's losses in football were to USC on the Coast and to Georgia Tech (then an SEC member) in Atlanta. Our losses in hoops were against Davidson at Charlotte (Lefty's first signature win), Miami in Miami three days later, and Chicago Loyola at the Final Four.

I had a great spectator season -- saw all the home football games plus a thrilling win in Chapel Hill and all the home basketball games.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I just told you: The 1962-63 season. Duke's losses in football were to USC on the Coast and to Georgia Tech (then an SEC member) in Atlanta. Our losses in hoops were against Davidson at Charlotte (Lefty's first signature win), Miami in Miami three days later, and Chicago Loyola at the Final Four.

I had a great spectator season -- saw all the home football games plus a thrilling win in Chapel Hill and all the home basketball games.
    Fred Hetzel!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Fred Hetzel!
    We won the rematch the following year at Duke, 72-65, when Davidson was ranked #4 vs. our #5. IIRC (and there is always a first time), Lefty had a screaming fit after the game about the officials and the ACC.

Nevertheless, Davidson had come from being a glorified HS team to a top-ranked college team in three years.
    Sage Grouse

I told you the heat got to me yesterday on the golf course. My brain couldn't computerize the football facts. I saw most of the football home games in person that year. The Devils were very good. GoDuke!

Today's game at Liberty has been cancelled due to inclement weather:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Today's game at Liberty has been cancelled due to inclement weather:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Probably not a bad thing. A loss would have hurt the RPI more than a win would have helped.

Probably not a bad thing. A loss would have hurt the RPI more than a win would have helped.
    That's a good point. Let's go take care of business in Atlanta.
    Bob Green

Indeed, and Liberty is not bad. They beat the Cheats recently I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Indeed, and Liberty is not bad. They beat the Cheats recently I believe.
    You may be thinking of Coastal Carolina.

UNC blitzed Liberty pretty good earlier in the season.

As in the Chanticleers, who won the College World Series in 2016?
    Sage Grouse

As in the Chanticleers, who won the College World Series in 2016?

The same. And they're pretty good this season, roughly as good as Duke.

It's no surprise when they beat a top-tier program. Because they're a top-tier program.

UNC blitzed Liberty pretty good earlier in the season.
    By pretty good, I meant capable of perhaps upsetting Duke. They are 4-8 against big time opposition this year, they beat WF, and were a run away from winning a few more of those. They did get swept by the Heels, and 2 of 3 were routs.

FYI I would call CC VERY good, not pretty good. I"m very familiar with the Chanticleers...I have pretty deep roots in SC, and was aware not only of the CWS won by the Gamecocks, but also when Coastal did. In fact, I've thought that the Duke story this year was somewhat like their 'out of nowhere' story when they won the CWS, including a sweep of the Tigers at LSU in the super regional - a rare occurrence.

By pretty good, I meant capable of perhaps upsetting Duke. They are 4-8 against big time opposition this year, they beat WF, and were a run away from winning a few more of those. They did get swept by the Heels, and 2 of 3 were routs.

FYI I would call CC VERY good, not pretty good. I"m very familiar with the Chanticleers...I have pretty deep roots in SC, and was aware not only of the CWS won by the Gamecocks, but also when Coastal did. In fact, I've thought that the Duke story this year was somewhat like their 'out of nowhere' story when they won the CWS, including a sweep of the Tigers at LSU in the super regional - a rare occurrence.
    Backing you up on a possible upset, the Heels lost yesterday to UNC-W. (The Seahawks are the better team of the lesser programs, but neither is ranked and both have winning records.)

Liberty did NOT beat UNC recently, as suggested in the post to which I replied.

Bob Green