Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Duke Baseball 2018

I, for one, am very excited about this upcoming season! Can't wait to see Griffin Conine swing and Steve Mann debut.

And looky here, Saturday March 3, 3:00pm, there's a baseball game right before the holes come to Cameron to get their rear ends kicked.

Oh boy!!!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't follow baseball much other than keeping periodic tabs on the record, especially as we get closer towards the ACC tournament in hopes that they make the field.
    I think enough others pay attention, though, that this thread should be in the EK forum and not Off-Topic.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't follow baseball much other than keeping periodic tabs on the record, especially as we get closer towards the ACC tournament in hopes that they make the field.
    I think enough others pay attention, though, that this thread should be in the EK forum and not Off-Topic.
    I agree but I wasn't sure I had the proper documentation for approval status. Maybe I can sweet talk a moderator.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Duke is ranked in several of the polls and has high expectations. Starters return at every position except first base and there are a number of good options there.

It will come down to starting pitching, IMO.

Duke opens this weekend at Vanderbilt, a perennial national power. Jumping into the deep end of the pool.

Anything less than an NCAA appearance will be a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ... It will come down to starting pitching, IMO ...
    Said every baseball fan, of every baseball team, before every baseball season, everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Said every baseball fan, of every baseball team, before every baseball season, everywhere.

Well, except for the 1971 Orioles.

Or the 1908 New York Giants. They had 95 complete games.

Men were men in those days.

...It will come down to starting pitching, IMO...
    So Jim, think Mann going to be pitching at all? He was a fine arm in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    So Jim, think Mann going to be pitching at all? He was a fine arm in high school.
    Stallings, Day and Laskey project as weekend starters. Duke has a grad-student transfer from Creighton named Ethan DeCaster, who figures to be the new closer. Labosky might be a mid-week starter. Or they might keep him in the pen.

Lots of other candidates for midweek slots, including Mervis.

Duke likes its freshmen arms. But they'll likely bring them along slowly and see how they progress.

They had 95 complete games.

Men were men in those days.
    True, but in those days, metrics weren't metrics. Hard to argue with the numbers that prove starting pitchers lose it when they go through the lineup for the third time...thus the evolution of the middle reliever, the set up guy, and then the closer.

For better or worse, complete games are going away for pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    True, but in those days, metrics weren't metrics. Hard to argue with the numbers that prove starting pitchers lose it when they go through the lineup for the third time...thus the evolution of the middle reliever, the set up guy, and then the closer.

For better or worse, complete games are going away for pitchers.
    It was the dead ball era. Christy Mathewson wrote that pitchers in that era didn't really bear down until a runner reached second base.

But you realize it wasn't a serious attempt to compare 1908 pitching parameters with those of today?

It was the dead ball era. Christy Mathewson wrote that pitchers in that era didn't really bear down until a runner reached second base.

But you realize it wasn't a serious attempt to compare 1908 pitching parameters with those of today?
    I was more focused on the issue in general than the specific 08 example...

Duke beat #15 Vanderbilt 5-4 yesterday to even the series at one game apiece. Vanderbilt won the opener 9-1 Friday afternoon. The rubber match is today at 2 pm on the SEC Network.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Griffin Conine homered, Kennie Taylor doubled twice and Duke threw the tying run out at the plate in the ninth to defeat No. 15 Vanderbilt 5-4 Saturday evening at Hawkins Field.
    Bob Green

Duke improves to 2-2 on the season with an 8-2 win over NCCU. Next up is a three game series, at home this weekend, against Bucknell.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I, for one, am very excited about this upcoming season! Can't wait to see Griffin Conine swing and Steve Mann debut.

And looky here, Saturday March 3, 3:00pm, there's a baseball game right before the holes come to Cameron to get their rear ends kicked.

Oh boy!!!
    I don't follow Duke baseball but need to ask whether Griffin Conine is related to Mr. Marlin, Jeff Conine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I don't follow Duke baseball but need to ask whether Griffin Conine is related to Mr. Marlin, Jeff Conine.
    Father and son.

Here's an article I wrote about Griffin last season.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211557318

Duke improved to 3-2 with a 7-0 win over Bucknell last night. Today's game starts at 1 pm.
    Bob Green

Duke improves to 4-2 with a 6-4 win over Bucknell. The third game of the series is tomorrow at 1 pm.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke improves to 4-2 with a 6-4 win over Bucknell. The third game of the series is tomorrow at 1 pm.
    Was at the game, which was at the DBAP. SS Zack Kone hit a grand slam that was the farthest ball I have ever seen hit there, railing of the second balcony ABOVE Tobacco Road sports café. Pitcher Ryan Day started and wasn't overpowering but threw strikes and hit spots with lots of movement, at least 2 off speed pitches in his bag of tricks. Big lefty freshman #17 (too lazy to look up his name) came in for the 7th and wasn't perfect but throws heat, didn't allow a run. 2 other freshman standouts were first baseman and DH.

Duke completed the series sweep with a 13-5 win over Bucknell this afternoon. Next up is NCCU on Tuesday.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Was at the game, which was at the DBAP. SS Zack Kone hit a grand slam that was the farthest ball I have ever seen hit there, railing of the second balcony ABOVE Tobacco Road sports café. Pitcher Ryan Day started and wasn't overpowering but threw strikes and hit spots with lots of movement, at least 2 off speed pitches in his bag of tricks. Big lefty freshman #17 (too lazy to look up his name) came in for the 7th and wasn't perfect but throws heat, didn't allow a run. 2 other freshman standouts were first baseman and DH.
    Kone is one of our 3 Pine Crest men! Conine is another along with freshman Mike Rothenberg. Oh, Antonio Vrankovic is also a Pine Crest alum!
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 02-26-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com