View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite Dukie

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nate James

87 52.10%
  • Steve Wojo-whatever

80 47.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nate was indeed a b@d@ss, but Wojo made me cry with pride for Duke Basketball.

Olympic Fan has multiple POTD's

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Real tough call and I certainly won't disagree with anybody who picked Wojo.

Still, I voted for Nate because of the sacrifice he made to win the 2001 national title. If you remember, Nate was a fifth-year senior tri-captain who started 33 of 34 games in 2000 and the first 29 games of 2001.

Then, the day after Boozer was hurt on Nate's Senior Night, K came up with a shocking plan to make up for replacing the team's star center -- the shocking part was that he wanted to bench Nate and give his starting job to Chris Duhon to get quicker and go into an attacking mode.

In hindsight, it seems logical, but it never would have worked if this fifth year senior doesn't swallow the pain of giving up the starting job he had earned with four years of hard work and production. If Nate had griped or whined or sulked even the slightest bit, the 2001 team goes down in flames.

It's easy to say no big deal about starting, but it does matter to a lot of kids (anybody remember Chris Burgess??)

Nate didn't sulk and he didn't complain. He embraced the change and remained the inspiration leader of the team as it won its final 10 games. He turned himself into a great sixth man for those 10 games. He had that amazing tap-in to beat Maryland in the ACC Tournament, then when Juan Dixon was killing us in the first half of the Final Four, he volunteered to guard Dixon ... a he did shut him down.

I love Wojo, but I'll never forget Nate's sacrifice.
    This post brought years to my eyes, and convinced me who to vote for. I'm voting for Nate!!

Favorite player

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I can't believe you guys aren't voting for WOJO.

The kid was undersized, underrated, underappreciated, and was 150% heart and effort all the time. The first Duke jersey I ever bought was wojo's. He is the epitome of class, hustle, hardwork, and the Krzyzewski philosophy. The man is practically my hero...I guess its just sentimental for me...
    I appreciate everything you're saying ... it's an example of the problem I have with these polls (although obviously I've participated).

When you're voting for a "favorite" player, there's no definable parameters ... most of us pick our ultimate heroes in our youth (as, based on an earlier post, you did with Wojo).

I grew up believing that Mickey Mantle was the greatest player ever. My father told me that Mickey couldn't carry Joe DiMaggio's jock. Different generations, different heroes. I could go into all the sabremetrics about which was really the greatest player, but no stat I could find would supplant Mickey from his place in my heart, just as nothing I could come up with would elevate him above Joe D in my father's mind.

For that matter, he brought be up a Duke and a Yankee and a Redskins fan. I can appreciate and even admire certain players from UNC, the Red Sox or the Cowboys -- but I could never love a player from those teams or pull for them (which is why Rudy Guliani is such a phony fan).

I think we're imprinted with our preferences when we're 11 or 12 years old -- whenever we first become passionate about a team. We may move and pick up another team because it's convienient, but I'd bet that very few of us would give up our first love for a new team.

Obviously, SilkyJ, Wojo is your first Duke hero ... good for you. If it's any consolation for you, my first Duke hero was Howard Hurt ... and he's not going to even make this poll.

WOJO: Best. Commercial. Ever.

The one for the '99 Final Four (Wojo was no longer an amature so he could be in it) where they have Wojo giving blood and it comes out Duke Blue.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I appreciate everything you're saying ... it's an example of the problem I have with these polls (although obviously I've participated).

When you're voting for a "favorite" player, there's no definable parameters ... most of us pick our ultimate heroes in our youth (as, based on an earlier post, you did with Wojo).

I grew up believing that Mickey Mantle was the greatest player ever. My father told me that Mickey couldn't carry Joe DiMaggio's jock. Different generations, different heroes. I could go into all the sabremetrics about which was really the greatest player, but no stat I could find would supplant Mickey from his place in my heart, just as nothing I could come up with would elevate him above Joe D in my father's mind.

For that matter, he brought be up a Duke and a Yankee and a Redskins fan. I can appreciate and even admire certain players from UNC, the Red Sox or the Cowboys -- but I could never love a player from those teams or pull for them (which is why Rudy Guliani is such a phony fan).

I think we're imprinted with our preferences when we're 11 or 12 years old -- whenever we first become passionate about a team. We may move and pick up another team because it's convienient, but I'd bet that very few of us would give up our first love for a new team.

Obviously, SilkyJ, Wojo is your first Duke hero ... good for you. If it's any consolation for you, my first Duke hero was Howard Hurt ... and he's not going to even make this poll.
    you are aboslutely right. hope no one thinks I am bashing their pick. I am a huge nate james fan as well...I guess i'm just surprised as all those qualities I mentioned are usually the ones that make players "fan favorites" if you will. "The Rudy-s" of the world.

you are right too that this is so tough b/c nate played around the same time and I loved him too, and he was a total glue guy who did all the little things as well. People have said this ump-teen times in other polls, but I guess this is the first one that was a real struggle for me and included my 1st real duke hero...These polls are so hard, and this one is just real sentimental for me, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    The one for the '99 Final Four (Wojo was no longer an amature so he could be in it) where they have Wojo giving blood and it comes out Duke Blue.
    I don't remember that one, but would love to see it. I went looking briefly on youtube but found nothing. Anyone who can find and post a link, I would appreciate it

Silky "Wojo is still my hero" J

I was watching the 2001 ACC Championship in a bar in Towson, MD. If Nate James did nothing else in a Duke uniform, the memory of that bar after his tip-in seals it for me.

I am surprised Wojo isn't winning, to be honest... him being a coach absolutely is part of it to me; as long as you are part of the Duke family, you are still a player in my view!

Loved Nate D o double G, but Wojo just edges him out for my vote.

wojo

Naturally, at this stage of the game, these polls are extremely tough. I loved Nate and there's no denying the sacrifice and contribution he made towards the '01 championship. I gave the very slight edge to Wojo, however, not because he's an assistant coach, but because of how he developed as a player his final 2 seasons. If the internet age had been in full bloom his frosh season, he would probably have been bashed like Greg Paulus was this past season. But he kept improving, improving, made the cover of SI, and was even an admitted favorite of announcer Brent Musberger, who described him as the most "exciting" player in college basketball. And who can forget the passionate hug he and Coach K embraced upon defeating Carolina his senior season. Still gives me goosebumps.

Not trying to sway anyone, as I know this is a tough call and both are surely favorites of all Duke fans. Win/win.

While Nate was (obviously) a bad%^@, I've never seen a player so consistently leveled by "agressive" picks as Wojo was. And he always got right back up. "Wojo bounces!"

Tough choice between two consummate Oedipals.

-jk

I voted for nate for many of the reasons stated here -no one has mentioned it but my favorite memory from that glorious 2001 season was the picture of a contempletive Nate sitting alone at his locker with the championship net around his neck - still brings tears to my eyes. I hope someone has a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    While Nate was (obviously) a bad%^@, I've never seen a player so consistently leveled by "agressive" picks as Wojo was. And he always got right back up. "Wojo bounces!"

Tough choice between two consummate Oedipals.

-jk
    I don't get the Oedipals reference. Nor did i get the one DBR made in its Preview of Duke for this year. Can someone explain?

Sorry, I can't spell it out. We're a family site.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Sorry, I can't spell it out. We're a family site.

-jk
    its cool. the thread discussing the DBR preview of Duke explains it.

YIPPE KAY-YEH...

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I voted for nate for many of the reasons stated here -no one has mentioned it but my favorite memory from that glorious 2001 season was the picture of a contempletive Nate sitting alone at his locker with the championship net around his neck - still brings tears to my eyes. I hope someone has a copy.
    I don't remember that pic, but I do remember him being interviewed by Packer after the game. He stumbled over his words a little and then just said "National Championship. National Championship"

It's like he was talking to himself in a dream and was saying it to make sure it was true. Great stuff.

It's the threads/conversations such as these which remind me why I'm so happy to be a Duke fan. Coach K (and probably previous coaches, I just wasn't there to see the players) generally recruits guys I love to root for because of their great qualities.; genuinely good people who give their all out on the court for the good of the program. Obviously, both Wojo and Nate fit into this category, which is why they are both favorites of so many of us and hard to choose between. It's also why I'm so excited about this coming season, as our incoming class seems to be full of both great players and great people (and I really like the players who remained after last season).

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind View Post
    Naturally, at this stage of the game, these polls are extremely tough. .
    At this stage of the game??? We're only in the first round.

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    This was another very tough call, but I had to go with Nate. I just love how he was a top recruit and then when he got injured in high school all of the other schools backed off of their commitment. Coach K stuck with him and he returned the favor by giving 100% of himself during his college career.

When they won the title in 2001, I was happy for Battier. I was happy for Dunleavy, JWill, Duhon and Boozer. But my heart overflowed with joy for Nate, especially when I saw the picture of him all alone in the locker room with his head bowed and the net still around his neck. I get a tear in my eye just thinking about it now.

I tried to attach the picture, but it's too large and when I shrink it, it seems to lose it's oomph. I'm sure many of you remember that photo. I'll never forget it.

Imb, I know that photo well and to see it is to cry a river. Another great photo I couldn't find to post is the tip-in over Casey and, I think, Lonnie Baxter, in the ACC semi final to clinch that hard fought victory over the Terps but only after Juan Dixon just missed a near half court runner at the buzzer. I vote Nate.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I don't get the Oedipals reference. Nor did i get the one DBR made in its Preview of Duke for this year. Can someone explain?
    I guess chemistry majors don't read the classics?

Nate James can't play.