Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I think most all the problems on this team are fixable. Unfortunately it would likely require another year together to accomplish this.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Better team won.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I just cannot figure out this Duke team. Duke collectively is an enigma this year.

How many losses did UConn have when they won the national title in 2014? I'm assuming that's the most losses for a national champion ever? If not, who won the national championship in NCAA history with the most losses in the "modern" era (1980 to now)? 5 losses and counting for Duke now. I know Duke lost 5 in 2015 and won it all and 5 in 2010 and won it all. Duke can still go on a run in March but I'd be utterly shocked if Duke won out from here.

If Duke can get Marques and O'Connell to play like they did tonight the remainder of the year they'll be in better shape hopefully.
    It’s not an enigma. A top 5 team plays like a top 100 team far too often. And the only people who seem to see it coming are not on the floor.

Listening to Bilas explain that Berry holding Grayson’s arm was a foul on Grayson is my tap out moment on Jay. When you go that far to distort the truth, I cant respect you anymore.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Home cooking won this game. I'll be worried if we lose in Cameron. Let's hope we have the friendlier whistle.
    I thought it was pretty well officiated. Carolina didn't foul much...they didn't have to in the second half as Duke didn't get the ball inside nearly as much and couldn't hit anything for the first 10 minutes in any case. No killers on the floor for Duke.

Just ugh.

First half was pretty darn bad for us. We GAVE up a 12-point lead, lost every loose ball, could NOT defend the 3, and were generally outhustled. I knew we were toast. Second half was even worse than the first.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Scratching my head.

Tale of two halves.
    Last edited by cbarry; 02-08-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Hit send too soon

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Listening to Bilas explain that Berry holding Grayson’s arm was a foul on Grayson is my tap out moment on Jay. When you go that far to distort the truth, I cant respect you anymore.
    I'm impressed on your perseverance on Jay. I quit quite a while ago, like when he refused to say anything negative about the cheats throughout the scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I refuse to blame Duval. He's been just as good - or bad - as a lot of other starters. But our general defensive effort is awful.

And I absolutely believe heart was an issue.
    That's way too generic. Without Bagley's defensive effort in the last 8 minutes, we lose by 20.

I just don't see any evidence that "heart" was an issue in this game. The biggest issue to me was that UNC prevented us from getting good post touches in the 2nd half, which is largely (but not entirely) due to Duval's weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I thought it was pretty well officiated. Carolina didn't foul much...they didn't have to in the second half as Duke didn't get the ball inside nearly as much and couldn't hit anything for the first 10 minutes in any case. No killers on the floor for Duke.
    This is a joke, right? I ran out of fingers counting the number of lowered shoulders by cheater drivers that didn't result in offensive fouls in addition to the way that Carter and Bagley were assaulted without penalty in the paint (when they finally got the ball).
    Last edited by barjwr; 02-08-2018 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    Very winnable game lost due to poor effort and execution in the 2nd half.
    How can you say poor effort. Your vlcomments are getting really tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    There were some glaringly bad calls and non calls at key moments. We all are alwats expecting it...and our top notch ACC refs delivered as they customarily do.
    Windy City Devil

They just played harder than us. Theo Pinson has gotten mocked by some on this board. But I would kill to have a Theo Pinson type of player on this team. The guy can’t shoot a lick, but he just makes plays.

Frustrating to get outrebounded by a smaller team. That can’t happen. Especially when we can’t shoot.

Shots taken: 77 - 62. Says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    I think zoning this Carolina team was poor coaching by K. They have too many shooters who shoot the three well and they feasted on wide open shots.
    Why would changing to a zone be a bad decision when your m2m is getting strafed? I support him changing things up to see if he can hit on a solution. That's the whole point of practicing that zone!

I think we did make a mistake with the soft, lay-back, switching scheme in m2m. I think Duke plays better defense when we ball pressure and cut off sides of the court. And our bigs should not be switched onto smalls.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I refuse to blame Duval. He's been just as good - or bad - as a lot of other starters. But our general defensive effort is awful.

And I absolutely believe heart was an issue.
    Couldn't agree more. He struggles at times but has also shown stretches of great play. I don't think he is any more responsible for this team's losses than the rest of the team. They struggle on defense and seem lost on screens, not only tonight, but in several other games. The PnR has been a major problem too.

I would like to see more of AOC because I think he has a great upside. I can't help but wonder if some bench time might help with what, at times, seems to be a lack of heart or engagement. I am not saying the starters don't care but their minutes seem almost guaranteed regardless of their on court performance.

Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    Kansas had 11 losses in 1988 with Danny Manning.
    Thank you. That gives me hope. 5 losses ain't too bad for Duke right now but still have two with Virginia Tech, at Clemson, vs UNC, and vs Louisville. Likely 1-2 more losses if Duke doesn't make some drastic strides defensively.

Duke really doesn't have too many "good" wins right now either. Michigan State on a neutral site in November was ok and at Miami was good - other than that? I don't see many. Maybe beating FSU at home 100-93? Duke is definitely an enigma this year. Just cannot figure them out.

The sky is falling.

Leave the starters in Durham for the GT game. Time for a major shakeup for the emotionless.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Well the clown from the ACC Network wasn't much better. When we attempted to tie up the Heel who was on the floor he made some dumb comment like, "This isn't football." Yet, when Javin reaches in to tie up the ball at the end of the game he gets the quick whistle. I saw Miami do that very same play against the Cards and the refs let Walker rip the ball away from McMahon.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    Don't kill me for saying it, but Bags hasn't been overly aggressive the last couple games. Duval had a couple bad plays, but he's not to blame for this loss.
    Duval turned it over 4 times in limited minutes and each one of those turnovers was costly. Plus at least a couple of very poor jumpers that were almost the same thing as turnovers. I thought his play was the second biggest reason for the loss tonight - after the perimeter defense. A lot of the offensive rebounds we gave up were just random bad bounces that could have gone either way.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    How can you say poor effort. Your vlcomments are getting really tiresome.
    Did you not see all the offensive rebounds they got at the end of the game?
    Skip my comments if you don't like them. Why torture yourself reading them?