Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Cheaters 82, Duke 78 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. Remember - no venting or bashing of Duke players or staff will be allowed.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Scratching my head.

Tale of two halves.

Rats!

UGH.....Double UGH!

Live or die by the 3

Guess they lived today.

Wanted to see more heart.

Sigh...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Very winnable game lost due to poor effort and execution in the 2nd half.

That was a pretty low brand of basketball on both sides. I'll go find an nba game now.

At halftime I posted that the first few minutes of the 2nd would be key. I think we lost the game right there.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Wanted to see more heart.
    There was absolutely no problem with heart, effort, or any of that stuff.

We do, however, have a big problem at point guard and in the backcourt defensively in general. Not sure what the solution is.

Sad.
    They got five points in the last two minutes that they shouldn't have had. Walking under the basket prior to the three. And Berry grabbing Grayson's arm resulting in two free throws.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    That was a pretty low brand of basketball on both sides. I'll go find an nba game now.

At halftime I posted that the first few minutes of the 2nd would be key. I think we lost the game right there.
    Yea, it seemed like BOTH teams missed many shots that SHOULD have been made!

I'm not sure we can continue blaming these losses on our youth. It appears that we might have a serious shortage of basketball IQ.

Another winnable game with very little execution when needed.

Went away from the inside.
    Turned it over
    Didn’t get back
    Couldn’t make when we needed and they couldn’t miss
    Really missed many calls but it isn’t first on my list

One positive was the bench scoring

Should be easy win in Durham. If I use the UK model as a reference, we’ll see this team hopefully pull it together come tournament time. Need better gaurd play if we are going to go anywhere.

They won the game the only way they were going to win it: shooting 3s, drives by Berry, scrapping for rebounds and loose balls. Kudos to them.

Our team still has a fair amount of work to do.

Might want to show up for the entire game one of these days.

I don't think this D is going to get there.

I just cannot figure out this Duke team. Duke collectively is an enigma this year.

How many losses did UConn have when they won the national title in 2014? I'm assuming that's the most losses for a national champion ever? If not, who won the national championship in NCAA history with the most losses in the "modern" era (1980 to now)? 5 losses and counting for Duke now. I know Duke lost 5 in 2015 and won it all and 5 in 2010 and won it all. Duke can still go on a run in March but I'd be utterly shocked if Duke won out from here.

If Duke can get Marques and O'Connell to play like they did tonight the remainder of the year they'll be in better shape hopefully.

Definitely a disappointing 2nd half. We had a 12 point lead early on but have very low defensive awareness on when to/not to switch. We gave up too many open 3s and didn’t play particularly well in a very physical game. IMO, the X factor to our success is Tre Duval. He’s the only one who can create off the dribble which opens up the bigs for lobs or kick outs for 3s.

OAN, the in-game thread was terrible as always. I think I’m officially done with it. Anyway - still a long way to go and everyone including UVA will lose another game or two. I hope we can get it together in time for a tourney run. We have the pieces but do we have the mentality. Guess we’ll see.

I was astounded by how poorly Duval played, and even more astounded Coach K kept him in so long before he fouled out. Really costly turnovers and a couple bad jump shots by Duval.

The defense was awful again tonight, that's the ultimate problem for this team. We didn't turn the ball over aside from Duval, and we hit our free throws. Defense is the key to whether this team can meet its potential.

I think zoning this Carolina team was poor coaching by K. They have too many shooters who shoot the three well and they feasted on wide open shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    There was absolutely no problem with heart, effort, or any of that stuff.

We do, however, have a big problem at point guard and in the backcourt defensively in general. Not sure what the solution is.
    I refuse to blame Duval. He's been just as good - or bad - as a lot of other starters. But our general defensive effort is awful.

And I absolutely believe heart was an issue.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Frequent mental lapses, terrible defense, poor choices on offense. Not much progress being made. Just not seeing it. Same freshman mistakes showing up.

Bolden was great though.

The Cheats have a true point guard that can handle their offense. Berry is one of the best point guards to play for the cheats and he seems to be an ok guy. I still hate that cheating program though. As for our defense, I don't know if it was better the last 5 or 6 minutes or was it they just missed open shots. However their offensive rebounds killed us, well that's the eye test because I've not seen the game stats. GoDuke!