Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    I doubt the team really cares. Only fans seem to get wound up about it.

Not sure how exactly what he did somehow detracts from Duke's brand, but whatever. As I said, fans seem to think Duke players should be as invested as they are in beating UNC, which is laughable given the fact that we're recruiting players who are on campus for 8 months.
    I bet they care. Well, at least the veterans. Rivalry or not, team comes before individual. One shouldn’t be texting one’s individual highlights minutes after one’s team lost. It goes against the entire concept of the team, and what Coach K stands for. There is a time and place to celebrate one’s individual accomplishments. 5 minutes after your team lost is not that time and place.

Also, I don’t think anyone has said that freshman players should be as invested in the rivalry as fans. Or even as invested as veterans. You are deriding a position that nobody is taking.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    OH, wait... we get someone like Tyus next year. I, for one, can't wait.
    You may be right, but on the other hand...

Jason Capel.
    Billy Carter.
    Frank Stallone.

You're not the first person to have this sentiment, so I wish to speak generally. If you desire a season of stress and anxiety stemming from unreasonable expectations, then anticipating Tre Jones as the Second Coming of the Selective Memory of Tyus Jones is the way to go.

I doubt the team really cares. Only fans seem to get wound up about it.

Not sure how exactly what he did somehow detracts from Duke's brand, but whatever. As I said, fans seem to think Duke players should be as invested as they are in beating UNC, which is laughable given the fact that we're recruiting players who are on campus for 8 months.
    That's completely dumb. The players and coaches who are actually IN the competition have much more invested than us silly fans.

For example, this beat writer was in the locker room last night:

Shawn KrestVerified account @ShawnKrest Feb 8
    Duke locker room looked like post NCAA loss. Lots of guys on brink of tears

Everyone needs to stop thinking that these guys don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    That's completely dumb. The players and coaches who are actually IN the competition have much more invested than us silly fans.

I said that I doubt the other players cared about the fact that Duval posted his dunk. I'm sure they cared about the loss. It's really quite humorous to watch some of you get all worked up over a kid posting a dunk. Comical, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I get that he's only 18 and all, but I think the bigger issue is how does he not know that he's not supposed to do something like that? I mean, that shows an extreme lack of judgment and common sense.
    It’s this generation’s way of doing things. It just is.
    Last edited by Steven43; 02-10-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    It’s this generation’s way of doing things. It just is.
    Not to get off topic here, but I don't think the previous generation has any room to blame this generation for anything.

I'd be ok with the retweet if the rest of his play was anywhere near that level.

You may dismiss me as a dinosaur, and may suggest that my standards of conduct should be relegated to a museum, but I still maintain that when you are part of a team that just lost a game, bragging about your individual performance or promoting your own highlight is, at best, unseemly. To engage in attention-seeking boastfulness when your teammates in the locker room are, according to one description, so despondent about the loss that they are close to tears, is behavior that I find difficult to reconcile with the concept of "Brotherhood."

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    You may dismiss me as a dinosaur, and may suggest that my standards of conduct should be relegated to a museum, but I still maintain that when you are part of a team that just lost a game, bragging about your individual performance or promoting your own highlight is, at best, unseemly. To engage in attention-seeking boastfulness when your teammates in the locker room are, according to one description, so despondent about the loss that they are close to tears, is behavior that I find difficult to reconcile with the concept of "Brotherhood."
    Another dinosaur agrees with you. Certainly Duval is not the only player that would do that after a loss; but I wish he hadn’t. This team seems to lose focus/concentration during games more than others; could it be too much focus on June 21?

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Stray Gator again.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I said that I doubt the other players cared about the fact that Duval posted his dunk. I'm sure they cared about the loss.
    Actually, you specifically downplayed how much the freshmen would care about the rivalry. The tweet seems to differ with that. Seems like the team cared a lot about the rivalry.

It's really quite humorous to watch some of you get all worked up over a kid posting a dunk. Comical, in fact.
    I guess I'm happy for you that you are amused by something.

Not to get off topic here, but I don't think the previous generation has any room to blame this generation for anything.
    I'm glad we have someone as woke as you to keep us 30-something (and older) folks in line.

You are right!

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    You may be right, but on the other hand...

Jason Capel.
    Billy Carter.
    Frank Stallone.

You're not the first person to have this sentiment, so I wish to speak generally. If you desire a season of stress and anxiety stemming from unreasonable expectations, then anticipating Tre Jones as the Second Coming of the Selective Memory of Tyus Jones is the way to go.
    As a scholar who studies sibling relationships, I know that you are exactly right. But dreaming isn't all bad...

Go Devils!
    DukeDevilDeb

Sporks. Well articulated.

Stray, not only did he lack an understanding of why you don't post a highlight like that right after a loss, inside word is that Duvall started chirping at Berry after that dunk...big mistake your freshman made early in a game like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

For full disclosure, also from @ShawnKrest:

“Trevon Duval was not one of them”

Personally, I’m somewhere in the middle in all of this. Retweeting his dunk at that time was a very bad look. It was stupid, and as someone said up thread, lacked comman sense. But I don’t think there’s a big “me first” underlying issue like many do. I think Trevon is out there trying to win. I think he tries to make the right decisions on the court. I don’t see him take bad, selfish shots or plays very often at all. He may be wrong from time to time, but he’s a freshman. And let’s be honest, there are very few Tyus Jones’ out there. And Trevon is not of that same cloth. He still has a plethora of potential though, and this Duke team is at its best when Trevon plays to his capability. This team needs him.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleDuke7 View Post
    For full disclosure, also from @ShawnKrest:

“Trevon Duval was not one of them”

Personally, I’m somewhere in the middle in all of this. Retweeting his dunk at that time was a very bad look. It was stupid, and as someone said up thread, lacked comman sense. But I don’t think there’s a big “me first” underlying issue like many do. I think Trevon is out there trying to win. I think he tries to make the right decisions on the court. I don’t see him take bad, selfish shots or plays very often at all. He may be wrong from time to time, but he’s a freshman. And let’s be honest, there are very few Tyus Jones’ out there. And Trevon is not of that same cloth. He still has a plethora of potential though, and this Duke team is at its best when Trevon plays to his capability. This team needs him.
    I don't think anyone is saying that Duval is a "me first" problem-child type of guy. The folks who are against the retweet immediately postgame are pretty much all saying that (a) it wasn't a "team-first" thing to do, (b) it goes against what Duke and the team stand for, but most importantly (c) it was most likely just a moment of not thinking about the implications of his actions by a teenager.

Kids make mistakes. This wasn't a good example of judgement on Duval's part. But I am more than happy to believe it just a brief error in judgement and not something more. And in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot bigger mistakes made in life. But at the same time, it was still a mistake to do it at that time, and he will probably receive some sort of punishment from the coaching staff for it.

Nobody is dissing the kid in this thread. Nobody is bashing his character, bashing today's youth (in fact, pretty much everyone is saying that teenagers throughout the history of time do dumb things sometimes). Just noting that it wasn't a good look, it was a mistake, and he'll probably receive some minor discipline for it.

Wait, so you honestly don’t think that kids from Duval’s generation are more likely to post attention-seeking things about themselves on the internet than are people from previous generations? You’re kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Stray Gator again.
    I took care of that for you.

I think part of the reason Duval did what he did was 1) that's what most youngsters in this age of "look at me" do. 2) I don't believe Trevon has yet realized how important he is to Duke's ultimate success(NCAAT). He is the single most important player that needs to improve his game because of the position he plays.

Like others have posted, I think he will hear about the incident from the coaching staff. It ain't over.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Wait, so you honestly don’t think that kids from Duval’s generation are more likely to post attention-seeking things about themselves on the internet than are people from previous generations?
    "People in the 1700's never complained about airport security. What's wrong with people today, and why can't they just get in line?"

"I don't understand why we have so many drunk driving accidents. I did some research, and found out that fatal car crashes involving alcohol were at least 30% less likely in the middle ages. I'm not saying things were better back then, but we've lost something."

"I can't remember anyone being so mean on twitter when I was a child. That app has really changed."

-Steven43, probably