Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trevon Duval dunk top 10?

Damn. There have been many, but Trevon that was awesome.
    ~rthomas

agreed--a thing of beauty and power.

One of the most savage and spectacular dunks I have seen on the college level. Just awesome.

Don't care, we lost

Trevon Duval turnovers top 10?

Nice dunk but still just 2 points. Put that energy into not letting Kenny Williams splash six 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Don't care, we lost
    boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    Nice dunk but still just 2 points. Put that energy into not letting Kenny Williams splash six 3s.
    I am a wanker.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
    I know, sorry, I'm very pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    You should tell that to Allen.

Duval certainly thought so

(Sorry, just stirring the pot!)

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTBTqdFjtIs

Not as good as a win, certainly, but it sure is tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Duval certainly thought so

(Sorry, just stirring the pot!)
    @BlueDevilNation
    It is probably not a great idea to retweet personal highlights when you just lost a game to a rival

You can see the retweet at @DatGuy_Trey and all the grief he got from fans for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    @BlueDevilNation
    It is probably not a great idea to retweet personal highlights when you just lost a game to a rival

You can see the retweet at @DatGuy_Trey and all the grief he got from fans for it.
    Yeah, not a good decision by him at all. Especially at that time. I would expect some discipline for that. I am sure he didn't mean it this way (more likely he just wasn't thinking about the appearance of it), but it wreaks of "me above the team". You just don't celebrate fairly meaningless individual accomplishments on the night of a loss to your biggest rival.

Just as impressive is how he split two defenders off the dribble, first, to get some runway to take off for that spectacular dunk. He basically neutralized 3 good defenders on his own, in one progression. Yah, he will make some bad passes from time-to-time, but he played with intensity and assertiveness. If he is free to just be himself, his upside is greater than his downside. On the defensive end he did a decent job trying to stop the dribble penetration. He got a few fouls but that’s how the whistle is gonna blow for the home team. I think Duke should run uptempo more with him.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, not a good decision by him at all. Especially at that time. I would expect some discipline for that. I am sure he didn't mean it this way (more likely he just wasn't thinking about the appearance of it), but it wreaks of "me above the team". You just don't celebrate fairly meaningless individual accomplishments on the night of a loss to your biggest rival.
    Why would Duval or any OAD player really care about Duke's "biggest rival"? Honestly, I don't fault Duval at all. He's building his brand, which is entirely rational. He's advertising his athletic ability to prospective employers. Every other student does that. He doesn't owe fans anything.

Celebrating dunks after a loss is not up to program standards, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    Why would Duval or any OAD player really care about Duke's "biggest rival"? Honestly, I don't fault Duval at all. He's building his brand, which is entirely rational. He's advertising his athletic ability to prospective employers. Every other student does that. He doesn't owe fans anything.
    Putting yourself above the team isn't a good way to sell yourself to the NBA.

And nowhere did I say he owes me anything. But, sure, feel free champion a cause that nobody is fighting against.

All I said is that, as a member of a basketball team, it is not a good look to celebrate your individual achievements in the immediate aftermath of your team's loss to its biggest rival. Arguing that he doesn't care about the rivalry isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of him as a teammate. Coach K cares. Grayson Allen cares. He doesn't owe it to you or me not to do what he did. He owes it to THEM not to do that.

And I suspect that he'll get punished for it.

Is it the end of the world? No. Was it a good idea from a team/teammate perspective? No. Will it get punished by the team? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post

He's building his brand at the cost of Duke's brand. Now I agree he doesn't have an obligation to protect the Duke brand, that's K's job, K needs to do what has to be done to protect the Duke brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    He's building his brand at the cost of Duke's brand. Now I agree he doesn't have an obligation to protect the Duke brand, that's K's job, K needs to do what has to be done to protect the Duke brand.
    Exactly. He is a Duke player. He represents Duke basketball on a national stage. His actions (good or bad) reflect on Duke basketball.

He doesn't have to care about that. But if he doesn't, (a) that's a poor reflection on him as a teammate, and (b) there can still be consequences.

[Full disclosure: I don't think Duval is a bad teammate, nor do I think he doesn't care about Duke. I think he made a mistake and wasn't thinking it through when he did it, which is common among teenagers. My comments are more in response to the "why should he care? he did nothing wrong" post]