Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    1976 falls within that time frame, so I'm just going to leave this right here...

Based on his Wikipedia entry, Walter Murphy is an interesting guy. He also did a classical-disco fusion song called "Mostly Mozart." His early work was used by Doc Severinsen and The Tonight Show band. He worked with Rick James, Isaac Hayes, and Mike Post on an episode of The A-Team. And he shares an Oscar nomination with Seth MacFarlane.
    ^^^^
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this one.

But, he replied (for the title, not necessarily the music):

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pffft:

But wait, there's more...
    John Lennon once told Bob Dylan, “if they re-named ‘rock and roll’ they would name it ‘Chuck Berry.’”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And for the record, my #1 guitar player of all time is Mississippi John Hurt. I would kill to be able to do what he did on a six string.
    Stevie Ray Vaughn. Just listen to his version of Little Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An4uDegHB8s

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Stevie Ray Vaughn. Just listen to his version of Little Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An4uDegHB8s
    Clapton once said that SRV didn't play guitar -- he channeled music.

I think Clapton was right.

There is a version of him doing Voodoo Chile on Austin City Limits which is absolutely insane. Will look for it later, although someone will probably beat me to it.

Dude could play guitar behind his back better than most can normally. A true innovator.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Clapton once said that SRV didn't play guitar -- he channeled music.

I think Clapton was right.

There is a version of him doing Voodoo Chile on Austin City Limits which is absolutely insane. Will look for it later, although someone will probably beat me to it.

Dude could play guitar behind his back better than most can normally. A true innovator.
    I heard something similar, but it was a long time ago so take my memory with a grain of salt. Clapton said something like sometimes he would get to a point playing on stage where he'd have to think about where he was going next. He said SRV never had to do that, the music just flowed through him.

On the right side of my link, there's a 15-minute live version of Little Wing and another song. Gave me chills. Sometimes I just love the internet.

SRV was taken from us way too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Close there. When guys are that good, it's a matter of opinion, wouldn't you say?
    Really? You think Keith Moon and John Entwistle are almost as good of instrumentalist as Ringo and Paul?

IMO, Keith Moon was the GOAT rock drummer and The Who's rhythm section was the GOAT in rock history.

Ringo was the perfect drummer for The Beatles. However, put Ringo in The Who or Led Zeppelin and those great bands would have been destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    The Who's rhythm section was the GOAT in rock history.
    Put me squarely in agreement with this. IMHO, of course (where the "H" is borrowed from Sage, who left it on Devil's Alley so I'm just carrying it for him until next we cross paths).

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I really like his drumming work on "Dear Prudence" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" but beyond that he was mostly just there, and occasionally came across as a bit clunky and methodical, without a whole lot of creativity or chops.

And I don't recall many people ever saying with a straight face that McCartney was anything less than a great bass player whose skill on a number of other instruments elevated him to a very high status.
    You should come out to play more often. Paul played the drums on "Dear Prudence".

Band on the Run may have been the best post-Beatles release (or Plastic Ono Band) by a former Beatle. Paul did almost all of the drum and lead guitar work, in addition to bass, for Band on the Run.

Really? You think Keith Moon and John Entwistle are almost as good of instrumentalist as Ringo and Paul?

IMO, Keith Moon was the GOAT rock drummer and The Who's rhythm section was the GOAT in rock history.

Ringo was the perfect drummer for The Beatles. However, put Ringo in The Who or Led Zeppelin and those great bands would have been destroyed.
    Or Ringo would have raised his game. Just saying it was a possibility. Different bands play different kinds of music, and stress different approaches to their songs (that's why most of the strident comparisons being made on this thread are kinda silly). Different bands have different leaders. John & Paul were clearly the alpha dogs on the Beatles. Poor George could barely get a song in edgewise.

I imagine Ringo did what he was told. Worked out pretty good for him. All of them, really.

Edit: Put Keith Moon or John Bonham on the Beatles. Talk about destruction. Did I just blow your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If we are really breaking down musicianship and vocal talent, I would like to see a match up breakdown of any band that bests Led Zeppelin at more than one position.
    IMO, The Who. I think Moon was the GOAT (IMO, Bonham was second) and Entwistle was a better bassist than John Paul Jones.

IMO, The Who. I think Moon was the GOAT (IMO, Bonham was second) and Entwistle was a better bassist than John Paul Jones.
    Fair argument! Thanks. Room for discussion even!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Edit: Put Keith Moon or John Bonham on the Beatles. Talk about destruction. Did I just blow your mind?
    Put Keith Moon in The Beatles and I think the White Album would have definitely blown my mind and possibly been the GOAT. I strongly believe that John & Paul would have made great use of Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Fair argument! Thanks. Room for discussion even!
    It's definitely a close call, for me, since I think Moon and Bonham are the top two. Moon's raw talent was truly phenomenal!

It's definitely a close call, for me, since I think Moon and Bonham are the top two. Moon's raw talent was truly phenomenal!
    Neil and Geddy may have something to say about rhythm section instrumental chops, but all three mentioned combos have insane talent. Victor Wooten and Future Man want in, too!

To say Ringo would have upped his game is like saying Tim Wakefield could have thrown 100 if he'd only been asked. Accepting that they have limitations doesn't mean they couldn't be effective (though I do think the Beatles could have been even better with another drummer).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    For crissakes, I was taking about contemporary popular music from the 60’s to today. Mozart and Beethoven aren’t part of this discussion and never were.
    Hey, I can only respond to what you wrote not what you thought you wrote or what you meant to write.

Nothing in the post under discussion limited the parameters to popular music from the 60's until today. Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    To say Ringo would have upped his game is like saying Tim Wakefield could have thrown 100 if he'd only been asked.
    Yep, it's about as weak as saying putting Keith Moon in The Beatles would have destroyed the band. Moon would have destroyed the band's hotel rooms, cars, drum sets, etc., but not the band. IMO, the White Album would have been much better with Moon. IMO, the last three albums would have been better with Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Hey, I can only respond to what you wrote not what you thought you wrote or what you meant to write.

Nothing in the post under discussion limited the parameters to popular music from the 60's until today. Nothing.
    Don't mess with him, he is saving Christ.

Yep, it's about as weak as saying putting Keith Moon in The Beatles would have destroyed the band. Moon would have destroyed the band's hotel rooms, cars, drum sets, etc., but not the band. IMO, the White Album would have been much better with Moon. IMO, the last three albums would have been better with Moon.
    I saw The Who's 50th anniversary tour, and Townshend told a story about how Moon superglued hotel furniture to the ceiling in his room! Hey, the ceiling is the roof!

As an aside, I've never been to another concert where the lead singer was so clearly not the leader of the band. Townshend did almost all of the talking, besides having written most all of the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I saw The Who's 50th anniversary tour, and Townshend told a story about how Moon superglued hotel furniture to the ceiling in his room!
    One of my favorite was when Moon billed the band for his new car, the band said no way, so Moon drove the car into his pond and told the dealer to come and get it.

Paul McCartney is one of the greatest musicians in rock history. He is ranked among the top five on bass, and is proficient on piano, drums, and even lead guitar, which he played on many Beatles' songs.
    John Lennon was a great singer, but I don't see him ranked over Paul. Paul had a "choir boy" (Here There And Everywhere, I Will ) voice that could turn rough in a heart beat (She's A Woman, I'm Down, Long Tall Sally).
    And all these other players like Moon and Entwistle were great, and I won't deny them their place at the individual instruments lists top.
    That being said, the Beatles were the most innovative band of all time, and, the top record sellers too.