Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 314
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    I don't have a dog (or pie) in the fight, but given the two bets that RJ proposed I think UNC will have a better regular season ACC record than us due to our lack of experience (causing some early season head-shakers to bad teams) as well as UNC's easier schedule. I think it's about a push for which team advances farther in the tournament.

    Little has looked really good on the All-Star circuit and has gotten excellent reports from the practices. I'd expect him to be a top-5 player when the final rankings are released from the various services. White has looked like an excellent scorer as well. The problem for UNC is that Little plays the same position as Cameron Johnson while White plays the same position as Kenny Williams. In that respect, our head to head matchups will be interesting because both teams are very wing-heavy without dominant inside scorers. We have the advantage of having a "pure" point guard but with freshmen you can't really predict how well they'll do.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don't have a dog (or pie) in the fight, but given the two bets that RJ proposed I think UNC will have a better regular season ACC record than us due to our lack of experience (causing some early season head-shakers to bad teams) as well as UNC's easier schedule. I think it's about a push for which team advances farther in the tournament.

    Little has looked really good on the All-Star circuit and has gotten excellent reports from the practices. I'd expect him to be a top-5 player when the final rankings are released from the various services. White has looked like an excellent scorer as well. The problem for UNC is that Little plays the same position as Cameron Johnson while White plays the same position as Kenny Williams. In that respect, our head to head matchups will be interesting because both teams are very wing-heavy without dominant inside scorers. We have the advantage of having a "pure" point guard but with freshmen you can't really predict how well they'll do.
    The Cheats do have an easier ACC schedule.

    So the NCAA tourney bet may be the best bet of the 2. I'd assume this would argue for that:

    http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../odds/futures/

    But the NCAA Tourney bet is more random given that anything can happen in a single-elimination tourney. ACC Tourney seeding is based on the course of a conference season. So the ACC tourney bet may be better if one thinks Duke will be the better team. But the schedules should be considered.

  3. #63
    I would strongly urge my DBR comrades to send an additional pie to the last Duke player standing at the end of the NBA Finals.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Never got around to it, so I'll do it now. Shout out to Richard Jackson for paying up on our pie bet. It was delicious.

    In the days following the message Richard sent that the pie was on the way, I constantly checked the mailbox and front door area, fearing it would get left outside too long.

    My wife noticed my sudden uptick in interest in the mail...

    Her: Why are you checking the mail so much lately? Are you getting some expected money from somewhere?

    Me: No. Better. I won a pie bet.

    Her: With who?

    Me: A guy on the fan site you always see me reading.

    Her: You bet pie? Why?

    Me: Don't know. It's just how they do it. It's kind of a thing.

    Her: Men are weird.

    Me: I have no comeback.


    UVA PIE.jpg

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    That looks awesome. I am still optimistic about my current pie bet with RJ regarding our OADíers - if all four get drafted in the first round then he wins, otherwise I win. Wendell almost threw an enormous wrench into things, although Iím sure RJ would have been happy to pay up in order to get him back.

    I do have to say, if I lose then the pie Iíll be sending out will not be nearly as nice as the one pictured above. Probably best that I leave the baking to the professionals 8-)

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Never got around to it, so I'll do it now. Shout out to Richard Jackson for paying up on our pie bet. It was delicious.

    In the days following the message Richard sent that the pie was on the way, I constantly checked the mailbox and front door area, fearing it would get left outside too long.

    My wife noticed my sudden uptick in interest in the mail...

    Her: Why are you checking the mail so much lately? Are you getting some expected money from somewhere?

    Me: No. Better. I won a pie bet.

    Her: With who?

    Me: A guy on the fan site you always see me reading.

    Her: You bet pie? Why?

    Me: Don't know. It's just how they do it. It's kind of a thing.

    Her: Men are weird.

    Me: I have no comeback.


    UVA PIE.jpg
    Sounds like some conversations that have occurred around the devildeac abode.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sounds like some conversations that have occurred around the devildeac abode.
    You sir, have enjoyed the spoils of an errant Richard Jackson bet more than most. Thank you for allowing us to plunder the rich bounty of pie that is, Richard Jackson. 😎

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    That looks awesome. I am still optimistic about my current pie bet with RJ regarding our OADíers - if all four get drafted in the first round then he wins, otherwise I win. Wendell almost threw an enormous wrench into things, although Iím sure RJ would have been happy to pay up in order to get him back.

    I do have to say, if I lose then the pie Iíll be sending out will not be nearly as nice as the one pictured above. Probably best that I leave the baking to the professionals 8-)
    I think you might be ok. I think Trent is the biggest question mark, but what do I know?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    You sir, have enjoyed the spoils of an errant Richard Jackson bet more than most. Thank you for allowing us to plunder the rich bounty of pie that is, Richard Jackson. ��
    In theory. RJ has yet to deliver my consult fee/s, but he keeps responding to posts like this one with promises to attend a tailgate this football season and deliver the "goods."

    (all in good fun, but, I'm still thirsty )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I'll propose the following pie bet to the first taker only of CDu, Troublemaker, or JasonEvans:

    They get the option because they are very astute posters who are almost always right in any predictions or pie bets. I've never won one, which is exactly why I'm proposing this one. I really think I'm right on this.

    Pie Bet Option 1 - Next season I say UNCheat earns a higher seed to start the ACC Tourney than Duke. If they do, I win. If Duke earns a higher starting ACC Tourney seed, you win.
    Pie Bet Option 2 - Next season I say UNCheat advances further in NCAA Tourney than Duke. If they do, I win. If Duke advances further, you win the pie. If they both go out in the exact same round, it's a push.

    Pick whichever bet you most prefer. I'm only betting one pie on this to one of the above posters. First come first serve.

    Make no mistake, regardless of betting a pie I'll be rooting as hard as ever for the Cheats to lose absolutely every game they play. It's not even really much of a hedge, because I want those cheating pond-scum bastards to lose and lose some more, and they should still be on probation IMO. But this is just what I really expect to happen.

    Those damn vampires just won't die, and I'm done making the mistake I've made the last couple years of assuming they lost "Fill in the blank" so they'll be worse. I really thought - ok, they lost Paige and Brice Johnson, now they're going to suck. They got zero punshiments and then won a Natty. Ok, they lost Meeks, Hicks, Jackson, AND Bradley. They're going to really suck. They beat us 2/3. Now they lost Pinson and Dingle-Berry. I'm not fooled.

    I've never won a pie bet, and more than happy to put that jinx mojo on the Cheats. I agree with JasonEvans and CDu that the Cheats' fortunes will largely depend on the play of Coby White at PG and that Pinson was a beast. I can still hope that Roy will play Seventh Woods at PG for lots of minutes. But ol Roy aint that stupid. What I've seen from Coby White is that he can play PG much better than I was hoping. And Nas Little may be the best recruit in this class. Pinson was awesome. Little is on a whole nother level. I really hope I'm wrong about that, because I do believe he was offered $150K to play for Miami and the Cheats scooped him up right after that was uncovered.

    So JasonEvans, Trouble, or CDu; Who wants to join the club of having won a pie from my bakery? (Trouble has thus far only won beer from me.)
    Richard, you're playing with fire here. If I understand the situation, you have admitted that you always seem to lose bets so you have decided to bet in favor of something that you do not really want to happen (Carolina succeeding) anticipating that you will lose the bet so the thing you really want to happen (Duke succeeding), will happen.

    This strikes me as an affront to the weauxfgods (sp?) who will easily see through your nefarious and foolish plan, take offense, and somehow wreak extra havoc on you and/or the rest of us as your Duke brethren. You have created an obvious premeditated reverse weauxf which can only backfire. I beseech you not enter into this fool hearted scheme!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Richard, you're playing with fire here. If I understand the situation, you have admitted that you always seem to lose bets so you have decided to bet in favor of something that you do not really want to happen (Carolina succeeding) anticipating that you will lose the bet so the thing you really want to happen (Duke succeeding), will happen.

    This strikes me as an affront to the weauxfgods (sp?) who will easily see through your nefarious and foolish plan, take offense, and somehow wreak extra havoc on you and/or the rest of us as your Duke brethren. You have created an obvious premeditated reverse weauxf which can only backfire. I beseech you not enter into this fool hearted scheme!
    Don't worry, none of CDu, Troublemaker, or JasonEvans wanted to touch that bet, so I don't think the bet was ever going to happen anyway. Sadly I imagine they turned it down because they probably didn't like their chances to win the bet with our youngest team ever and the Cheats combining some good returning experience with some very talented freshmen. CDu basically said betting just isn't his thing. I proposed the bet with those posters because they usually win their pie bets (or are right with their predictions if they don't bet) and like you said, I've never won a pie bet. I figured something had to give, and I was hoping my streak of continuing to lose pie bets worked.

    I considered your above "don't tick off the reverse weauxfgods" and held off on betting pie on Kansas when Duke played Kansas. But not betting pie didn't work either. We still lost. So maybe if I'd bet the pie on Kansas, Grayson's shot goes in - maybe it was that close. So I figured, what the hell, let's test it on this one. And yes, I'd be rooting 100% to lose the bet! I believe dukelifer made a similar bet with Troublemaker on the Cheats, and it worked like a charm. And I'm a bigger loser than dukelifer! But it would be cool if it keeps working. Pie is cheap, Duke beating the Cheats is priceless.

    (And yep, betting pie or not betting pie would probably not have helped us beat Kansas. But magical thinking is more fun.)

    And Congrats Left Hook! The pie was supposed to say UMBC>UVA, but victory all tastes just as sweet going down!
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 04-19-2018 at 05:47 PM.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Shout out to Jason for the fine looking Boston Cream Pie that arrived today after some delay when the shipping companies couldn’t quite figure out how to deliver to a little island in SW Florida with no mail delivery service.

    Jason stuck with it and got it done...

    I’m sure it’s going to taste extra good after dinner tonight knowing it’s the first of many to come from him in the future

    2F57D9B1-D565-4653-887A-8F3535B4D964.jpg

    P.S. I will be accepting proposals through the off season on potential wagers for next year...
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Sadly I imagine they turned it down because they probably didn't like their chances to win the bet with our youngest team ever and the Cheats combining some good returning experience with some very talented freshmen.
    I actually didn't turn you down (yet). I'm just waiting because
    (1) It's actually REALLY degenerate -- more than I'm used too, even :-) -- to bet on next season in April before rosters are finalized.
    (2) You're not my target, Richard, and I don't necessarily want to win more stuff off you. If I'm going to make some sort of Duke vs UNC bet, it should be with Wheat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    P.S. I will be accepting proposals through the off season on potential wagers for next year...
    Yeah, we'll come up with something.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I actually didn't turn you down (yet). I'm just waiting because
    (1) It's actually REALLY degenerate -- more than I'm used too, even :-) -- to bet on next season in April before rosters are finalized.
    (2) You're not my target, Richard, and I don't necessarily want to win more stuff off you. If I'm going to make some sort of Duke vs UNC bet, it should be with Wheat.



    Yeah, we'll come up with something.
    Same here. Hell, I even explained why I havenít pulled the trigger on a bet yet - that I would wait until I know what the rosters actually are. So, yeah, please refrain from the chirping RJ. As I said in my post that you cherry-picked response from, there is still a likelihood you will be losing a bet to me on one of those. Even though betting isnít my thing.

    Patience RJ - plenty of time yet for you to lose that bet.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I actually didn't turn you down (yet). I'm just waiting because
    (1) It's actually REALLY degenerate -- more than I'm used too, even :-) -- to bet on next season in April before rosters are finalized.
    (2) You're not my target, Richard, and I don't necessarily want to win more stuff off you. If I'm going to make some sort of Duke vs UNC bet, it should be with Wheat.



    Yeah, we'll come up with something.
    Yeah that does feel more right. Get him again!

  16. #76
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Same here. Hell, I even explained why I haven’t pulled the trigger on a bet yet - that I would wait until I know what the rosters actually are. So, yeah, please refrain from the chirping RJ. As I said in my post that you cherry-picked response from, there is still a likelihood you will be losing a bet to me on one of those. Even though betting isn’t my thing.

    Patience RJ - plenty of time yet for you to lose that bet.
    Sweet!

    Degeneracy is fun. After you taste that pie you'll be ready for Vegas.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Yeah, I too was waiting to make sure I knew rosters before taking Sir Jackson up on his bet.

    On another note I am so sorry it took me a while to get Wheat his pie. Shipping was part of the problem, but my own inability to follow up was also in the mix. That said, that sucker looks really good so I am sure Wheat does not mind waiting for something so delicious.

    -Jason "I really wish I still had a picture of Wheat's pale blue key lime pie... that was the best!" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, I too was waiting to make sure I knew rosters before taking Sir Jackson up on his bet.

    On another note I am so sorry it took me a while to get Wheat his pie. Shipping was part of the problem, but my own inability to follow up was also in the mix. That said, that sucker looks really good so I am sure Wheat does not mind waiting for something so delicious.

    -Jason "I really wish I still had a picture of Wheat's pale blue key lime pie... that was the best!" Evans
    No problem on the delay, I knew where to find you...the wait will only make it taste that much better tonight!

    I’m assuming the pundits will have the Duke’s greatest recruiting class ever ranked #1 team preseason...if so, i’m wondering if maybe there is a potential pie bet out there where I get my pie delivered at the point in the season when UNC is ranked higher in the polls next season...Hmmmm...will have to ponder that one for awhile.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, I too was waiting to make sure I knew rosters before taking Sir Jackson up on his bet.

    On another note I am so sorry it took me a while to get Wheat his pie. Shipping was part of the problem, but my own inability to follow up was also in the mix. That said, that sucker looks really good so I am sure Wheat does not mind waiting for something so delicious.

    -Jason "I really wish I still had a picture of Wheat's pale blue key lime pie... that was the best!" Evans
    Fair enough. But with your avatar, waiting for rosters is like waiting until after the river to shove all in. I think the read we made is right on the rosters. Bolden and Cam Johnson are both returning. Carter gone of course. I haven't heard that Duke is really even considering adding anybody else to our team next year. But I guess Bagley showed up in August, so April is perhaps a bit too degenerate. Just how I like it!

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Fair enough. But with your avatar, waiting for rosters is like waiting until after the river to shove all in. I think the read we made is right on the rosters. Bolden and Cam Johnson are both returning. Carter gone of course. I haven't heard that Duke is really even considering adding anybody else to our team next year. But I guess Bagley showed up in August, so April is perhaps a bit too degenerate. Just how I like it!
    Dude, between reclassification and early entry, ain't no way to feel confident about anyone's roster prior to mid-May, at least.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. This day in basketball history
    By Tom B. in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2015, 03:33 PM
  2. This Day in History...
    By Hancock 4 Duke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 05:02 PM
  3. The Big East - Wow and History
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 12:28 PM
  4. History Exam...
    By Bluedawg in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 11:44 AM
  5. What does my iTunes history say about me?
    By billybreen in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •