Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Your pie is on the way, they said it should arrive Friday.
    It did arrive and the pie is very good. Thanks, Wheat.

For those who care, I went away from the fruit pie tradition and went with a "Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie" from the site Jason linked.

Wheat merely ordered it online and thus didn't have a chance to add some yucky blue to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It did arrive and the pie is very good. Thanks, Wheat.

For those who care, I went away from the fruit pie tradition and went with a "Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie" from the site Jason linked.

Wheat merely ordered it online and thus didn't have a chance to add some yucky blue to it.
    Congrats. Hope you had an imperial stout or porter to accompany it.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Congrats Left Hook Lacey!

You couldn't have won this pie in more convincing fashion. Look at the link in this thread for the pie website and just send me a PM with which pie you want and address to ship to.

Congrats! Well deserved.

Likely, as in >50% chance? Sounds like we have the makings of a bet, dukelifer.

You win if UNC makes the Final Four, since they are likely to do so.

I win if they don't make the Final Four.

Name your stakes. Do you like beer or pie?
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I will bet a pie- only because you usually win your pie bets and nothing makes me happier not to see them in the FF. If I am correct about their route and mistaken about your pie dominance- at least I will have a pie to eat. We cannot forget that among active coaches, Roy is right behind K in NCAA FF appearances.
    I bet a pie that they will get there and I would be very happy to pay off- but I also don't see them losing unless Berry gets in to foul trouble, turns an ankle- or loses another video game.
    dukelifer - I win. Get ready to pay, my friend. I'm going to choose a pie off the site Jason linked, per standard operating procedure.

Last time I went with pecan pie, but now I'm craving a fruit pie. I'll PM you with the details.

Nice, I ended up netting two pies this season by gambling on UNC to fail. That's how you do it, folks!

This is why I made this thread ... somewhere to keep track of the pies being thrown around.

Maybe this could entice more Pie Bets!

(There isn’t anywhere in the forum rules that state betting is frowned upon, is there?)
    Last edited by DukeBlue666s; 03-18-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: I is stil teechin miself to spel

dukelifer - I win. Get ready to pay, my friend. I'm going to choose a pie off the site Jason linked, per standard operating procedure.

Last time I went with pecan pie, but now I'm craving a fruit pie. I'll PM you with the details.

Nice, I ended up netting two pies this season by gambling on UNC to fail. That's how you do it, folks!
    #winning

Charlie Sheen has nothing on Troublemaker.

You all can thank me. I made a pie bet with Troublemaker to produce this loss. His pie prowess is remarkable. I never thought my loss would taste this good though. I thought maybe a buzzer beater in the final eight. A beat down in the round of 32 is very satisfying- maybe better than pie. Place your order Troublemaker!
    Thank you dukelifer!

This is awesome, and I'm very tempted to eat around the sentiment...

There has been some talk of reverse jinx's in the pregame thread. I've never won a pie bet, beer bet, or been in the positive in a fake money contest on DBR. Troublemaker OTOH, is money.

I'm very worried about this Kansas game. Graham is a cold-blooded killer senior do-it-all leader guard playing at Wooden award levels. Hell none of Kansas's studs are OAD or freshmen. They're beasts, they're experienced, they won the best conference this year by 2 games, and they cruised winning Big 12 Tourney while resting Azubuike. And Duke youth didn't look ready for prime time vs Syracuse, a team who should have been in the NIT. And the game will be played in Omaha in front of a hostile Kansas fan crowd.

I'm surprised Duke is even a Vegas favorite at all in this game. Betting on Kansas and taking 3 points seems smart.

So I'm tempted to bet Troublemaker a pie. I take Kansas and the 3 points. For Trouble to win, Duke must cover.

There are many reasons I don't want to do this. I never bet against Duke. I'd be rooting 100% for myself to lose the bet. Hell even if I won, that pie would not taste good unless Duke wins the game by 1-2 points.

But it's tempting, if my cooler-ability of betting on Kansas gives Duke the reverse jinx advantage. No, I don't really think my bets can affect outcomes - that is magical thinking. But I did bet a pie on UVA to make Elite 8 and they lost to a 16 seed. So there are results, but still small sample size.

So I don't think I'm going to do it. But I could be convinced. I do think the smart money goes on Kansas with the 3 points - (and if I think that - it's great for Duke!). If any superstitious folks think it would work, I'd gladly ship a celebratory pie to Trouble if it really would help Duke get to San Antonio!

So what say you DBR? Could it help, or bad idea to try to influence events with pie bets?
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 03-24-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    There has been some talk of reverse jinx's in the pregame thread. I've never won a pie bet, beer bet, or been in the positive in a fake money contest on DBR. Troublemaker OTOH, is money.

I'm very worried about this Kansas game. Graham is a cold-blooded killer senior do-it-all leader guard playing at Wooden award levels. Hell none of Kansas's studs are OAD or freshmen. They're beasts, they're experienced, they won the best conference this year by 2 games, and they cruised winning Big 12 Tourney while resting Azubuike. And Duke youth didn't look ready for prime time vs Syracuse, a team who should have been in the NIT. And the game will be played in Omaha in front of a hostile Kansas fan crowd.

I'm surprised Duke is even a Vegas favorite at all in this game. Betting on Kansas and taking 3 points seems smart.

So I'm tempted to bet Troublemaker a pie. I take Kansas and the 3 points. For Trouble to win, Duke must cover.

There are many reasons I don't want to do this. I never bet against Duke. I'd be rooting 100% for myself to lose the bet. Hell even if I won, that pie would not taste good unless Duke wins the game by 1-2 points.

But it's tempting, if my cooler-ability of betting on Kansas gives Duke the reverse jinx advantage. No, I don't really think my bets can affect outcomes - that is magical thinking. But I did bet a pie on UVA to make Elite 8 and they lost to a 16 seed. So there are results, but still small sample size.

So I don't think I'm going to do it. But I could be convinced. I do think the smart money goes on Kansas with the 3 points - (and if I think that - it's great for Duke!). If any superstitious folks think it would work, I'd gladly ship a celebratory pie to Trouble if it really would help Duke get to San Antonio!

So what say you DBR? Could it help, or bad idea to try to influence events with pie bets?
    Haha, not a bad idea, Richard. But, if you check the the ongoing fake money contest for the NCAAT, you'll see that I took Kansas +3.5 (and it's now down to 3). I think Kansas is the better bet. I can't fake it because that would ruin the superstitious voodoo that you're trying to do; you need to find someone who truly believes Duke will cover the 3.

Thank you dukelifer!

This is awesome, and I'm very tempted to eat around the sentiment...

A fine looking pie.

Haha, not a bad idea, Richard. But, if you check the the ongoing fake money contest for the NCAAT, you'll see that I took Kansas +3.5 (and it's now down to 3). I think Kansas is the better bet. I can't fake it because that would ruin the superstitious voodoo that you're trying to do; you need to find someone who truly believes Duke will cover the 3.
    Yep - I think it would ruin the superstitious voodoo. I'd be trying to jinx Kansas, but could be a reverse jinx. By winning the bet, I'd really be losing the bet, and losing these bets is what I do best.

So no bet is best bet. Stick to my guns and never bet against Duke. Let's go Devils!

The Winners Circle

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    I believe I have been the recipient of a six-pack from RJ from a wager. It came with no whipped cream.
    Yep,
    The exclusive club winning tasty DBR wagers from me includes NYBri, Troublemaker, and Left Hook Lacey. Left-Hook, your pie should be there by now, right?

Urinalcake has been counting his chickens, but careful, RJ's bakery doesn't ship pot pie.

Who else has actually won pie/beer bets on DBR? Troublemaker has won several, and has never lost one of these bets, right? JasonEvans has won multiple, just not from me (usually Wheat). Wheat won a pie this year from Jason, sadly. Devildeac is in the club without ever making a wager just from accumulating enough beers from his consult fees. Anybody else in the club yet? I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Yep,
    The exclusive club winning tasty DBR wagers from me includes NYBri, Troublemaker, and Left Hook Lacey. Left-Hook, your pie should be there by now, right?

Urinalcake has been counting his chickens, but careful, RJ's bakery doesn't ship pot pie.

Who else has actually won pie/beer bets on DBR? Troublemaker has won several, and has never lost one of these bets, right? JasonEvans has won multiple, just not from me (usually Wheat). Wheat won a pie this year from Jason, sadly. Devildeac is in the club without ever making a wager just from accumulating enough beers from his consult fees. Anybody else in the club yet? I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Harumph. This shows the number of consult fees that have actually made it to any of my beer glasses:

95px-Beerglass_orval.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Harumph. This shows the number of consult fees that have actually made it to any of my beer glasses:

95px-Beerglass_orval.jpg

Good beers come to those who wait. Jenn won't let me mail them due to silly beer-shipping laws. But you'll get your Stella Brew at a football tailgate this fall!

Good beers come to those who wait. Jenn won't let me mail them due to silly beer-shipping laws. But you'll get your Stella Brew at a football tailgate this fall!
    Absolutely no need to mail from 100 miles away. We'll have your places saved at out tasting table whenever you and Jenn decide to attend.

Mmmm Pie, Come and Get it While it's Hot!

I'll respect JasonEvans request to move any discussion of UNCheat's team next year out of the NikeHoops Summit thread:

CDu wrote:
    "I think they will be a bit worse than what they were last year, assuming Little isn’t deemed ineligible. They trade 5-star seniors for 5-star freshmen, and freshmen often struggle. Plus, they now have no PG (White is a scorer not a PG) whereas last year they had two (Berry and Pinson). They also lost their best, most versatile defender (Pinson) from a mediocre defensive team.

Their schedule should be easier, which will offset the loss of experience. But I thought this was a Sweet-16 type team, and I think next year’s team will be a round of 32 or Sweet 16 type of team."
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

I'll propose the following pie bet to the first taker only of CDu, Troublemaker, or JasonEvans:

They get the option because they are very astute posters who are almost always right in any predictions or pie bets. I've never won one, which is exactly why I'm proposing this one. I really think I'm right on this.

Pie Bet Option 1 - Next season I say UNCheat earns a higher seed to start the ACC Tourney than Duke. If they do, I win. If Duke earns a higher starting ACC Tourney seed, you win.
    Pie Bet Option 2 - Next season I say UNCheat advances further in NCAA Tourney than Duke. If they do, I win. If Duke advances further, you win the pie. If they both go out in the exact same round, it's a push.

Pick whichever bet you most prefer. I'm only betting one pie on this to one of the above posters. First come first serve.

Make no mistake, regardless of betting a pie I'll be rooting as hard as ever for the Cheats to lose absolutely every game they play. It's not even really much of a hedge, because I want those cheating pond-scum bastards to lose and lose some more, and they should still be on probation IMO. But this is just what I really expect to happen.

Those damn vampires just won't die, and I'm done making the mistake I've made the last couple years of assuming they lost "Fill in the blank" so they'll be worse. I really thought - ok, they lost Paige and Brice Johnson, now they're going to suck. They got zero punshiments and then won a Natty. Ok, they lost Meeks, Hicks, Jackson, AND Bradley. They're going to really suck. They beat us 2/3. Now they lost Pinson and Dingle-Berry. I'm not fooled.

I've never won a pie bet, and more than happy to put that jinx mojo on the Cheats. I agree with JasonEvans and CDu that the Cheats' fortunes will largely depend on the play of Coby White at PG and that Pinson was a beast. I can still hope that Roy will play Seventh Woods at PG for lots of minutes. But ol Roy aint that stupid. What I've seen from Coby White is that he can play PG much better than I was hoping. And Nas Little may be the best recruit in this class. Pinson was awesome. Little is on a whole nother level. I really hope I'm wrong about that, because I do believe he was offered $150K to play for Miami and the Cheats scooped him up right after that was uncovered.

So JasonEvans, Trouble, or CDu; Who wants to join the club of having won a pie from my bakery? (Trouble has thus far only won beer from me.)
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 04-14-2018 at 03:38 PM.

A few points in response:
    1. I have never made a DBR bet, pie or otherwise. Betting is not really my thing.
    2. I didn’t say anything about whether or not Duke will be better than UNC next year. We were better than them this year, with a better statistical profile, better ACC seed, and better NCAA tourney run. They only won 2 of 3 this year because Duval got hurt in the ACCT (his 3-minute absence effectively decided the game). But I won’t say we are better with confidence until I see what our roster is. We basically know UNC’s team, barring any grad transfers. But our team still has a few potential moving parts. I will feel better about us once it is confirmed that at least two of our 3 remaining primary bigs are indeed on the team next year.

I do believe we will be better, and I think you are missing the key information related to UNC’s success: having multiple (2-4) 4/5-star upperclassmen. They won’t have that next year. This year, they had only 2, and they were notably worse than their Finalist/champ teams.

That said, despite my expectation that Duke will prove better again, I will wait to see what our team is before deciding whether to break my no-betting habits. If Jason and the Troublemaker (two self-proclaimed DBR degenerate gamblers) swoop in before me, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    1. I have never made a DBR bet, pie or otherwise. Betting is not really my thing.
    2. I didn’t say anything about whether or not Duke will be better than UNC next year. We were better than them this year, with a better statistical profile, better ACC seed, and better NCAA tourney run. They only won 2 of 3 this year because Duval got hurt in the ACCT (his 3-minute absence effectively decided the game). But I won’t say we are better with confidence until I see what our roster is. We basically know UNC’s team, barring any grad transfers. But our team still has a few potential moving parts. I will feel better about us once it is confirmed that at least two of our 3 remaining primary bigs are indeed on the team next year.

I do believe we will be better, and I think you are missing the key information related to UNC’s success: having multiple (2-4) 4/5-star upperclassmen. They won’t have that next year. This year, they had only 2, and they were notably worse than their Finalist/champ teams.

That said, despite my expectation that Duke will prove better again, I will wait to see what our team is before deciding whether to break my no-betting habits. If Jason and the Troublemaker (two self-proclaimed DBR degenerate gamblers) swoop in before me, so be it.
    Thanks for the response CDu. I know you never bet, but you're almost always right, so I wanted to tempt you to join the ranks of the degenerates! I also realized we don't know the make-up of our team, which to me makes the bet more scrumptious. There is some non-zero probability that Carter joins Duke, and I'd love your chances to win the bet if that happens! But I think that probability is about as close to zero as it could be.

In terms of Bolden, I actually think the tea leaves strongly point to him returning to Duke and playing a much improved, huge role for our team next year. I'm excited to see what he can do. Nothing would make me happier than seeing him play his way into a first round pick. The reason I think Bolden will return, is I do believe Duke had EJ Montgomery in the bag. But Duke backed off. And as you rightly understand, Duke needs a quality big next year. K would not have backed off Montgomery unless he knows that he has Bolden or Carter in the bag. And I sure as hell don't think he thinks he has Carter in the bag. So I think Bolden is coming back for sure, and K knew that when he backed off Montgomery. There are other possibilities, but that is what I think.

This bet stands for the first taker of you 3. I, along with every poster on this board except for about 2 Gluten-filled guests will be rooting hard for me to lose. And I'm good at that, so I'm putting my pie streak on it.

There are no sure things, that's why they call it gambling! The rosters could change. One devastating injury could sadly determine the outcome, and I really hope that doesn't happen to either team. But it could.

But as it stands, I just could not be more impressed with how underrated and good Nas Little is. I think that plus our unprecedented youth will be the difference. The fact that nobody jumped on this bet worries me even more.

But the Vegas oddsmakers have Duke a much more likely candidate to cut down the nets than the Cheats. I don't understand that, just like I didn't understand their 6.5 point spread for Villanova vs. Michigan. I thought 13 points would have been better, and Nova still would have covered. But the oddsmakers usually predict better than me as my Covers.com DBR contest results will attest.

As Trouble has said, winning a tasty pie while watching Duke win and the Cheats lose is how you do it folks. The bet offer stands.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I fully agree with the bolded above. Duval wasn't the same player on his gimpy ankle in the ACCT. I also think Duval's foul trouble is why we lost the game in Chapel Hell. He fouled out of that game while Duke was making a nice comeback attempt. It would have been close, but I think Duke would have come back with Duval. When he was on, Duke was tough to beat. He was pretty on vs Kansas, so the Carter foul trouble killed us there.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

95px-Beerglass_orval.jpg

Nonetheless, it is a very nice Orval chalice.