Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

The History of The Pie

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We have an accord... the winner gets his choice from this page: https://shop.gtpie.com/category/fruit_pies
    Ya know, I rarely comment up here, but read everything multiple times a day and this is the top thing I love the most about this forum. Can I get a brief (I’d enjoy the long version also) history lesson on this? For some reason, I feel like Wheat is involved in this somehow.

The pies are rather expensive, but I’m sure they are worth the price!

Thank you in advance if someone could explain how all this started. Mods, feel free to move this to another thread, if need be. I just wanted to start a page and maybe keep track of Pie Bets.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    Ya know, I rarely comment up here, but read everything multiple times a day and this is the top thing I love the most about this forum. Can I get a brief (I’d enjoy the long version also) history lesson on this? For some reason, I feel like Wheat is involved in this somehow.

The pies are rather expensive, but I’m sure they are worth the price!

Thank you in advance if someone could explain how all this started. Mods, feel free to move this to another thread, if need be. I just wanted to start a page and maybe keep track of Pie Bets.
    I believe the first pie bet was won by Ramesses II ...

It started back in in the 2001-02 season. That was UNC PF Brian Bersticker's senior season and, in the preseason, Wheat was crowing about how Bersticker was going to be a major stud for the Heels. I thought Wheat had lost his mind so we agreed to make a wager on whether Bersticker would be all-ACC. I am famously from Georgia while Wheat is a Florida Keys native so our wager was a Georgia Peach pie versus a Florida Key Lime pie. It just made sense at the time.

I won the bet, but Wheat won the war as he sent me a Key Lime Pie that had been dyed with Carolina Blue food coloring. Though it tasted fine, the look was truly awful. A brilliant ploy on his part. I posted a photo of the sky blue monstrosity at the time, but that image has been lost to history. I wish I had saved it...

I don't think another pie bet was made for many years after that, but it has come back into vogue lately, probably because I LIKE PIE! I have made 4 pie bets in the past few years and won them all, including a bet about whether the film Hitman's Bodyguard would make $100 mil at the domestic boxoffice that netted me a delicious Michigan 4-Berry Pie that my family just adored!

Another betting standard we sometimes use, which does not require any dollar cost to the loser, is a wager where the loser has to sing the praises of the winner in every post they make for a week (or some other time period). I won a bet involving Harry Giles being one of the top 20 picks in the NBA draft with that payment last summer.

-Jason "it is fun and feed my sweet tooth! Plus, it feels really unique to this community" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Excellent summary, Jason. Worth noting that the outcome of two pie bets could move towards a resolution tonight, right? You have a bet with Wheat on the Duke/UNC season series, and Troublemaker(?) has a bet on whether UNC finishes top 3.

A Duke win tonight would position you nicely for your bet, while a loss might decide it(?). On the other side, a Duke win would all but seal UNC’s non-top-3 finish, while a win would very much pry the door open.

Bettors, please feel free to correct me if my memory as an innocent bystander/lurker is off.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Excellent summary, Jason. Worth noting that the outcome of two pie bets could move towards a resolution tonight, right? You have a bet with Wheat on the Duke/UNC season series, and Troublemaker(?) has a bet on whether UNC finishes top 3.

A Duke win tonight would position you nicely for your bet, while a loss might decide it(?). On the other side, a Duke win would all but seal UNC’s non-top-3 finish, while a win would very much pry the door open.

Bettors, please feel free to correct me if my memory as an innocent bystander/lurker is off.
    Yup, my bet with Wheat is that if they play twice, whoever sweeps gets the win. If it is a split, then no one wins. If they play 3 times, the team that wins 2 out of 3 wins the bet... at least that is my memory.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There have been a few basketball-related beer bets, too, with the notorious loser (), richardjackson199, making several visits to his favorite craft beer store in his town to fulfill his obligations.

Beer pies anyone?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    There have been a few basketball-related beer bets, too, with the notorious loser (), richardjackson199, making several visits to his favorite craft beer store in his town to fulfill his obligations.

Beer pies anyone?

Wait, what happened to your prior post with dinosaurs, pie and beer? That was pretty cool, too.

This one is even better. Nice find. You should post it also in the Ymm, Beer thread (LOL) .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wait, what happened to your prior post with dinosaurs, pie and beer? That was pretty cool, too.
    I noticed the Happiness was a question mark... there is no question that Beer + Pie equals happiness!

It started back in in the 2001-02 season. That was UNC PF Brian Bersticker's senior season and, in the preseason, Wheat was crowing about how Bersticker was going to be a major stud for the Heels. I thought Wheat had lost his mind so we agreed to make a wager on whether Bersticker would be all-ACC. I am famously from Georgia while Wheat is a Florida Keys native so our wager was a Georgia Peach pie versus a Florida Key Lime pie. It just made sense at the time.

I won the bet, but Wheat won the war as he sent me a Key Lime Pie that had been dyed with Carolina Blue food coloring. Though it tasted fine, the look was truly awful. A brilliant ploy on his part. I posted a photo of the sky blue monstrosity at the time, but that image has been lost to history. I wish I had saved it...

I don't think another pie bet was made for many years after that, but it has come back into vogue lately, probably because I LIKE PIE! I have made 4 pie bets in the past few years and won them all, including a bet about whether the film Hitman's Bodyguard would make $100 mil at the domestic boxoffice that netted me a delicious Michigan 4-Berry Pie that my family just adored!

Another betting standard we sometimes use, which does not require any dollar cost to the loser, is a wager where the loser has to sing the praises of the winner in every post they make for a week (or some other time period). I won a bet involving Harry Giles being one of the top 20 picks in the NBA draft with that payment last summer.

-Jason "it is fun and feed my sweet tooth! Plus, it feels really unique to this community" Evans
    Thank you for that story, Jason! I figured Wheat was involved somehow.

I have great respect for Wheat! The most reasonable Carolina fan I’ve ever heard from and the fact that he still sticks around the forum is awesome. Wheat, you’re awesome!

I’d like to make a pie wager at some point, regardless the topic. I live 10 minutes above Boston and nobody cares about College sports up here. This forum is my escape from the love fest of professional (and Brady lovers) sports up here.

There was also kAzE's Jefferson vs Sulaimon All-ACC bet that punished us all when flyingdutchdevil was forced to change his avatar pic to Justin Bieber

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    There was also kAzE's Jefferson vs Sulaimon All-ACC bet that punished us all when flyingdutchdevil was forced to change his avatar pic to Justin Bieber
    A punishment not sanctioned under the Geneva Convention ...

Not a good night for the pie bets. Gonna need to step up next time around.

I noticed the Happiness was a question mark... there is no question that Beer + Pie equals happiness!

The question mark is likely referring to how long happiness lasts after the pie and beer are consumed.

I made this thread and now I can’t stop thinking about these pies! SMDH

Jason, I know you at least used to work for CNN, so I and understand some of your facts are, umm...suspect.

I'm pretty sure the first pie bet was made pre-2001-02 season. I'm thinking it was the 98-99 season. I'm also pretty sure Bersticker was not part of the pie bet, although you are correct I was intrigued by him as a freshman at 6'11 and so athletic. There was a lot of trash talk around him early in his career. I was much more silent on him after his So. Year.

I think the bet was something to do with who would sweep the season series...and Duke swept UNC that year. I lost and paid up.

If you guys think pies are expensive now, you should have paid to have someone make it for you with a specialty dye, then have it packed in dry ice to be shipped next day UPS...there was no internet pie company online back then

Oh, I do live on a little island in Florida, but not the Keys...I'm in southwest Florida.

This season I have two pie bets, UNC has to be a top three seed or better in the ACC tourney to win a pie from Troublemaker. I'm pretty sure about that one.

With you, I'm not so sure, I thought you bet Duke would sweep UNC...but someone needs to go back and find that thread, I can't seem to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Jason, I know you at least used to work for CNN, so I and understand some of your facts are, umm...suspect.

I'm pretty sure the first pie bet was made pre-2001-02 season. I'm thinking it was the 98-99 season. I'm also pretty sure Bersticker was not part of the pie bet, although you are correct I was intrigued by him as a freshman at 6'11 and so athletic. There was a lot of trash talk around him early in his career. I was much more silent on him after his So. Year.

I think the bet was something to do with who would sweep the season series...and Duke swept UNC that year. I lost and paid up.

If you guys think pies are expensive now, you should have paid to have someone make it for you with a specialty dye, then have it packed in dry ice to be shipped next day UPS...there was no internet pie company online back then

Oh, I do live on a little island in Florida, but not the Keys...I'm in southwest Florida.

This season I have two pie bets, UNC has to be a top three seed or better in the ACC tourney to win a pie from Troublemaker. I'm pretty sure about that one.

With you, I'm not so sure, I thought you bet Duke would sweep UNC...but someone needs to go back and find that thread, I can't seem to find it.
    How about another pie bet on who is right? GoDuke!

I think I won with a sweep and you won if Carolina took the series 2-1*, but if it split 1-1 or Duke won 2-1*, then it was a push. I cannot recall what thread it was in to look for it. Sorry.

--Jason "*-assuming they meet again in the ACC tourney" Evans

I think I won with a sweep and you won if Carolina took the series 2-1*, but if it split 1-1 or Duke won 2-1*, then it was a push. I cannot recall what thread it was in to look for it. Sorry.

--Jason "*-assuming they meet again in the ACC tourney" Evans
    No worries, we'll figure it out. When I have time I'll search some more,

No worries, we'll figure it out. When I have time I'll search some more
    A little help to keep your eyes on the pies:
    Troublemaker vs Wheat/"/"/" - Pie proposition link. Negotiations link, link, link. Acceptance link.
    JasonEvans vs Wheat/"/"/" - Pie propositionlink. Negotiations link, link. Acceptance link.