Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I went to my first...when I was?

I was just thinking (shocking, I know) about when did I go to my first college hoops game, then onto college fball, NFL, NBA, etc.

First college hoops game I think was my freshman year at Duke. I was a J-frosh, so could've been first game or so in calendar year 1981 at CIS. First college football game, I think, would've been first home game at Wally Wade in fall of 81. First NFL game was in Indy against the St. Louis Rams, maybe 1987; first MLB game would've likely been in '67 at RFK, Senators vs. Tigers. Never been to an NBA game. I did attend one NHL game, Pens vs. Caps in, I think '93 in DC. I've attended one CFL game in Winnipeg, maybe '87 or '88. I didn't attend a PGA Tour event until I qualified for one at Doral in '87. I've caddied in an LPGA Tour event as well as a Senior Tour event (caddied for Art Wall, Duke grad and 1959 Master's champ). First concert was Charlie Daniel's Band, here in Richmond in '78. Did attend a few Nascar races, first when I worked for Budweiser and the Richmond race was an account of mine, 1990, I think. Took my twins to said race three years ago, but also attended an Indy car race here about 5 years ago, boring as hell. Have yet to attend a cricket match, polo or curling.

true story, I went to my first (and only) brothel in Iowa when I was 22 and had no idea where I was being taken until I got there...since my host was the top aide to the Governor of Iowa, I kind of
    assumed it was a worthy destination. Managed to make a U-Turn at the door when I realized where I was...

I enjoyed my first major league baseball game (at Yankee Stadium, age 5) a lot more.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    true story, I went to my first (and only) brothel in Iowa....
    And what of the brothels in other states?

College Bball game: 198something...Wake @ UNC. Uncle was a die hard UNC fan. I survived the attempted indoctrination, but always thank him for introducing me to ACC basketball.
    College Football game: Cincinnati @ ECU, Thursday night game on ESPN circa 1997-98. Two of my best friends were being recruited for D1 football, and they took me to this game as a recruit
    guest. Interesting night.

College Baseball: Clemson in 99-00 during the NCAA tournament. Some friends and I went down to see Clemson play host in the NCAA regional. We went to support a guy we went to high
    school with that had walked on as a catcher. Fun times. Fun fact, that guy went on to be an assistant coach at Duke after his career with Clemson.

NFL: 49ers @ Panthers just a few years ago.

Hockey: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Carolina Hurricanes. Sidney Crosby just become a house hold name, and the canes took it to them. Don't remember the score, but Hurricanes won. My uncle
    gets free tickets from his job. He tried for years to get me to go but I was never interested. Now, I go to at least one game a year.

NBA: Only one:Washington Wizards vs. Denver nuggets 2002, in Fayetville, NC. I wanted to be able to say I saw Michael Jordan play in a real game in my lifetime. Alas, he sat out as he was
    recovering from a knee injury. Stackhouse went off. Others familiar names there, now Cavs coach Tyronne Lue, Juwan Howard, Charles Oakley, Chris Andersen.

Nascar: Been once. Coca Cola 600 a few years ago in Charlotte. Memorial Day weekend. It. Was. Hot. I don't remember all that much about it.

First Duke basketball game - two days before I was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    And what of the brothels in other states?
    Buy my book and find out! Rick Steves can eat his heart out.

I went to my first game at Cameron Indoor when I was 37.

(thanks, mysterious benefactor!)

I went to my first duke game at cis in the late 70's.i cannot remember who we played.it was snowing outside and hot inside.went to various duke home games through the years.up to the Elton brand years.i will take Jr one day.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    First Duke basketball game - two days before I was born.
    First Duke Final Four - 7 months before I was born...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Buy my book and find out! Rick Steves can eat his heart out.
    Huh. I figured Rick was into some weird stuff, but I didn’t guess it would be that weird.

Went to my first Duke basketball game at 14..Beat Carolina. Mike Lewis and Bob Verga ripped their hearts out.

I can't remember!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

First college basketball game: Duke v. SMU (11.27.78)
    First college football game: Duke v. Georgia Tech (9.9.78)
    First NCAA Tournament game: Duke v. DePaul (3.21.86)
    First pro football game: Buffalo Bills v. Baltimore Colts (10.10.71)
    First pro basketball game: 1970 pre-season, Buffalo Braves v. Cleveland Cavaliers (I was a ball boy)
    First MLB game: New York Mets v. San Francisco Giants (8.4.64)
    First NHL game: Buffalo Sabres v. New York Islanders (4.13.76)
    First men's World Cup game: Ireland v. Norway (6.28.94)
    First women's World Cup game: USA v. China (7.10.99)
    First EPL game (not a league match though): Manchester United v. Celtic (8.2.01)
    First MLS match: Chicago Fire v. DC United (10.25.98)
    First PGA tournament: 1972 Canadian Open
    First PGA Tour major: 1993 U.S. Open
    First pro tennis tournament (and major): 1993 U.S. Open

My first college bball game was a Duke game, presumably in the Fall of 1997. Though I admittedly don't remember it now. We won (obviously, I think we only lost 3 times in Cameron while I was there) though.

It's amazing how the memory fades on little details like that over time.

My first college football game was an FSU game as a kid. My uncle was an alum and season ticket holder. He didn't have kids, so I was a bit like his de facto son. And I loved FSU. So he would take me to one game a year. Always a game we'd win by a ton (like a Ga Southern type of opponent) because he didn't want me to feel sad. I vividly remember the stands shaking during the "tomahawk chop" because that stadium wasn't so well built back in the day.

I went to my first Duke Basketball game in April of 1992. Duke beat Indiana in the Final Four in Minneapolis. Of course that was the year the Blue Devils were led by Bobby Hurley, Christian Laettner and Grant Hill. My second Duke game was 2 nights later when they beat Michigan to win the National Championship.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    First college basketball game: Duke v. SMU (11.27.78)
    First college football game: Duke v. Georgia Tech (9.9.78)
    Same two for me as well. Others:

• First ACC Tournament game: Maryland, 1980 championship.
    • First NCAA Tournament game: Penn (At Purdue) 3/8/1980.
    • First Bowl Game: Belk Bowl 2012!

Others:

• First MLB game: Mets at the Polo Grounds, 1962 (had my picture taken with Choo Choo Coleman; my father told me since I was two and don't remember it!)
    • First NHL hockey game: Rangers circa 1974. (Sat in the end zone third row from the glass behind the goal. During the first period, a slap shot went over the glass and over my head to hit the lady right behind me in the glasses. Bloody mess. Watched the rest of the first and the second hunched over in my seat. My father saw I wasn't having any fun, so early in the third, we got up to leave. Another slap shot went by my head as we headed up. Took 20+ years to go to another game. Saw the Rangers and Gretzky play the Hurricanes in Greensboro. Got seats upstairs.)
    • Don't remember the first NBA game, might have gone to the Garden in the '70s. Definitely went to the Meadowlands in the '80s to see the Nets. (And the Nets started a mile away from home in the Teaneck Armory as the New Jersey Americans. Could have walked there.)
    • First/only PGA tournament: Greensboro Open 1982.

I went to my first college basketball game in the Pit way back in about 1966. My father and I went to all the UNM games while he was in grad school there.

My first college football game was at BYU in the fall of 1969.

My first NFL game was a Seahawks game in 1989 or 1990.

I have never been to an NBA game.

First MLB game (in Yankee Stadium): 1962 (age 5). What I remember most is, (1) how green the grass was, and (2) the place smelled like cigars. Wonderful.

First NFL game: Cincinnati, 1970 I think, Bengals and Falcons. Cold and windy, final score 6-3.

First college football game: 1969, Pittsburgh 14, Duke 12 (at WW)

First pro basketball game: also 1969, Carolina Cougars, in Greensboro (don't remember opponent). My HS had a game before the Cougars game, and our band was at courtside and we played for both games.

First game at Cameron: the Clyde Austin car keys game

First (and only) Final Four game: the final in Minneapolis in 2001 (yay!)

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    First MLB game (in Yankee Stadium): 1962 (age 5). What I remember most is, (1) how green the grass was, and (2) the place smelled like cigars. Wonderful.

First NFL game: Cincinnati, 1970 I think, Bengals and Falcons. Cold and windy, final score 6-3.

First college football game: 1969, Pittsburgh 14, Duke 12 (at WW)

First pro basketball game: also 1969, Carolina Cougars, in Greensboro (don't remember opponent). My HS had a game before the Cougars game, and our band was at courtside and we played for both games.

First game at Cameron: the Clyde Austin car keys game

First (and only) Final Four game: the final in Minneapolis in 2001 (yay!)
    My first major game of anything was at Yankee Stadium, age 5, I too was overwhelmed by the big green expanse, all the smells (tobacco, beer, hot dogs)...The other major thing I'll never forget was
    Phil Rizzuto being plunked in the head with a fastball, and he wasn't wearing a helmet. Sounded like a bat hitting a melon. They carried him out completely unconscious, sobering moment for a young fan.

Don't have exact dates for many of these

First college basketball game: Indiana v. Davidson 1978
    First Final Four: 1981 (Indiana, UNC, UVA, LSU)
    First Duke game: 1986 v. Kansas @ Dallas
    First game in Cameron: First game of my freshman year, 1991.
    First Duke Championship: 1992, Minneapolis

Other sports

First College Football game: Illinois vs. Iowa sometime in the mid 1980s
    First Bowl Game: 1995 Hall of Fame Bowl (!)

First MLB game: St. Louis vs. LA Dodgers Summer 1982
    First NFL game: Chicago Bears vs. KC Chiefs September 1999
    First NHL game: Chicago Blackhawks vs. Detroit Red Wings June 1998 (Also first playoff game)
    First NBA game: Bulls vs. Cavs December 1999

First PGA Tour Event: Quad Cities Open 1989
    First US Open: 2003 Olympia Fields
    First PGA Championship: Whistling Straits 2004

First Copa America match: Argentina vs. Panama 2016

First Wrangler National Finals Rodeo: December 2017