New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

RIP Robert Hunter

There are more than enough Deadheads on this board to appreciate his passing and celebrate his contributions.

“It is with great sadness we confirm our beloved Robert passed away yesterday night,” Hunter’s family announced in a statement. “He died peacefully at home in his bed, surrounded by love. His wife Maureen was by his side holding his hand. For his fans that have loved and supported him all these years, take comfort in knowing that his words are all around us, and in that way his is never truly gone. In this time of grief please celebrate him the way you all know how, by being together and listening to the music. Let there be songs to fill the air.”
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...173018413.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

A master poet, truly.

Fare thee well.

I have spent my life
    Seeking all that's still unsung
    Bent my ear to hear the tune
    And closed my eyes to see
    When there were no strings to play
    You played to me

Rest In Peace, Robert

The number of great songs and great lines Hunter contributed to the musical canon is incredible. In the US, I think only the Dylan catalogue is the equal of the Hunter/Garcia work and that doesn't include songs like Box Of Rain, Truckin or Jack Straw. Maybe not quite the shock as when Garcia died, but well Hunter was 78, (and I'm 60) so the shock should be less. Nonetheless a great poet and artist whose work will be around for a while, and who will be deeply missed.

Howard

RIP. This is very spooky to me. This weekend I listened to Box of Rain for the first time in a really long time - one of my all-time favorite songs. Out of curiosity, I googled the song, wanting to know more about what it was about. For those who don't know, the theory is that it was a song that Hunter wrote for his dying father, which I thought was very interesting. Then a few days after I find this out Hunter dies. What a talented man.

Not a Deadhead, but do have enormous respect for Hunter, and the songwriting partnership he had with Jerry. I've always found the lyrics to Friend of the Devil to be particularly evocative. He wrote many other great ones, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    RIP. This is very spooky to me. This weekend I listened to Box of Rain for the first time in a really long time - one of my all-time favorite songs. Out of curiosity, I googled the song, wanting to know more about what it was about. For those who don't know, the theory is that it was a song that Hunter wrote for his dying father, which I thought was very interesting. Then a few days after I find this out Hunter dies. What a talented man.
    I think he wrote it for Phil’s father who was dying. But yeah.

“Such a long, long time to be gone — and a short time to be there.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think he wrote it for Phil’s father who was dying. But yeah.

“Such a long, long time to be gone — and a short time to be there.”
    You are correct - thanks - long day...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    This weekend I listened to Box of Rain for the first time in a really long time - one of my all-time favorite songs.
    Great tune. It was a very special night in Hampton 1986 when The Grateful Dead brought it back for the first time since 1973. The crowd went crazy and Dark Star 1989 was the only Hampton crowd I recall equally excited.

OPK, were you also at Hampton in ‘86? IIRC, you were seeing many shows around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    In the US, I think only the Dylan catalogue is the equal of the Hunter/Garcia work
    Strongly agree. My favorite three poets/songwriters are Hunter, Dylan, and Lennon. When it was time to name kids those were my only three desires. Fortunately, management agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Great tune. It was a very special night in Hampton 1986 when The Grateful Dead brought it back for the first time since 1973. The crowd went crazy and Dark Star 1989 was the only Hampton crowd I recall equally excited.

OPK, were you also at Hampton in ‘86? IIRC, you were seeing many shows around that time.
    Sure was. I remember looking at a friend, both of us realizing what they were busting out after thirteen years. One of many pinnacles.

The Hampton Spaceship was a great East Coast venue; I think Dead & Co. is playing there in late October or early November.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Hampton Spaceship was a great East Coast venue.
    Absolutely, it was my favorite East Coast venue. The boys loved the joint and it was their only general admission indoor venue. I saw 16 of the 18 (missed ‘85, damn job) Hampton shows in the 80’s. Loved the place so much I didn’t go to the ‘92 shows because I wanted the last song I heard there to be Attics of My Life. I always felt that was the perfect final tune.

Hunter was an unknown legend to so many music fans who have sung his lyrics without realizing they weren't singing something written by Jerry or Bobby. His ability to evocate the eternal mysteries of life are unmatched, as was his ability to write lyrics that better matched an America a generation older than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    as was his ability to write lyrics that better matched an America a generation older than him.
    Agreed. IMO, one of the many amazing things about Hunter's work was how many lines and ideas he borrowed from earlier works (books, poems, songs, etc.).

What also amazed me was how many of his lyrics aged well with Herey. Ship of Fools, Brokedown Palace, Loser, and plenty others sound more like someone with gray hair than when Jerry was 20.

Hunter had an old voice if that makes sense.