Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    You are correct, there is no question Big Red got his staying power from Princequillo.

    There's just something about Justify reminds me of him. Except for the rain and record time, the '73 Derby and this one were similar. Both saw the favorite win by two and a half over his rivals. Also, Secretariat broke dead last and began picking them off one by one.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    What I meant was Secretariat breaking last was different.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Va

    Any interest in The Belmont Saturday?

    Potential Triple Crown and very little interest. Lots of Duke spring sports have held some interest w baseball still ongoing, which is great. NHL is done and NBA appears close to done, which means we're down to racing, World Cup, golf and baseball til...
    I think Justify got the worst post position possible for this race, not that it means he can't win, but may have a tougher trip. I'll bet some exotics as I always do and hope to hit one big, which I haven't. Love to hear from DevilHorse and others.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    What I meant was Secretariat breaking last was different.
    It's funny...there's something about Secretariat that transcended horse racing. Because I care little for horse racing either way...rarely watch even the Triple Crown races, but I vividly remember Secretariat. I watched those three races. I was little at the time, but I watched and remembered.

    I was also captivated by the back story, as represented in the outstanding film Secretariat. And I got goose bumps as they played a lot of actual footage of the TV coverage. I remember him pulling away down the stretch in the final leg. I'm not a vet or animal behaviorist, but it really seems clear that Secretariat understood the dynamic between he and Sham, knew something was final about the Belmont, and was determined to leave his mark on history. Amazing animals, all, and him above all of them.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Potential Triple Crown and very little interest. Lots of Duke spring sports have held some interest w baseball still ongoing, which is great. NHL is done and NBA appears close to done, which means we're down to racing, World Cup, golf and baseball til...
    I think Justify got the worst post position possible for this race, not that it means he can't win, but may have a tougher trip. I'll bet some exotics as I always do and hope to hit one big, which I haven't. Love to hear from DevilHorse and others.
    I think American Pharaoh was still too recent for people to get excited about a Triple Crown.

    Agree that it'll be tough for Justify. Since 1978, 13 out of 14 horses that won two legs of the Triple Crown couldn't win the Belmont to complete it.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think American Pharaoh was still too recent for people to get excited about a Triple Crown.

    Agree that it'll be tough for Justify. Since 1978, 13 out of 14 horses that won two legs of the Triple Crown couldn't win the Belmont to complete it.
    Nevertheless, Justify will make a spectacular bid.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Nevertheless, Justify will make a spectacular bid.
    No doubt. I'd take the field against him but wouldn't be shocked if he won. He'll probably try to go wire to wire and it's just a matter of whether his stamina can stave off someone like Hofburg catching him from behind.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    I stayed with Justify all the way, and the big horse proved himself, winning wire to wire to become the 13th Triple Crown Champion! It was Justify against the field, and he was nearly perfect. I had a feeling about this horse since before the Derby, and he proved me right..
    JUSTIFY!

  9. #49

    Brill

    OK, here is a stretch.

    There is a nice filly racing in the Del Mar Debutante Stakes on Saturday September 1, 2018 named Brill. Bill Brill was a favorite Dukie and contributor to the Duke dialog so why not note a horse that carries his name. With Audible on the shelf (at least till later in the year) why not keep the thread moving. I hope this JUSTIFYs a few comments.

    here is a pointer to the Past Performances, courtesy of Briswatch.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=548896
    If this URL fails, go to this page and search for Brill and click on Ultimate PPs.
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/brisw...9/summary.html


    Larry
    DevilHorse

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    She is rich in Secretariat blood. And Seattle Slew, Damascus.

  11. #51

    Audible Back 2 The Races

    Audible is Back. The son of Into Mischief and Blue Devil Bel has been injured since the first Saturday in May and has been prepping for a comeback on Breeder's Cup day. Not in a Breeder's Cup race, but in the $200K Cherokee Run, Which is Saturday, Nov 3, 2018, at Churchill Downs, Race 2.
    Here is the Past Performance, courtesy of Briswatch:http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...496&param3=204

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  12. #52

    Audible Wins

    Folks,

    Audible had a nice return to the races, showing a middle move from 7th to first.
    The co-high weight returned a nice $4.60 to bettors.

    The race results are provided here, thanks to Brisnet:
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  13. #53

    Audible is In Again

    Audible is in the box for Saturday December 15 2018, at Gulfstream Park, Race 5 Post 1, for the Harlan's Holiday Stakes.
    Now, Harlan's Holiday happens to be the sire of Audible's sire Into Mischief so there is some kind of genetic loop, or irony going on here.
    Harlan's Holiday has become a decent sire, and merits this race, which is a Grade 3, but is only for $100K.

    The Past Performances are provided here by Brisnet for free:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=716390

    Audible should be a prohibitive favorite, although there is a chance of rain and Audible lost one of his 2 non-wins on a sloppy track (the KY Derby).

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  14. #54

    Audible Finishes 2nd

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Audible is in the box for Saturday December 15 2018, at Gulfstream Park, Race 5 Post 1, for the Harlan's Holiday Stakes.
    Now, Harlan's Holiday happens to be the sire of Audible's sire Into Mischief so there is some kind of genetic loop, or irony going on here.
    Harlan's Holiday has become a decent sire, and merits this race, which is a Grade 3, but is only for $100K.

    The Past Performances are provided here by Brisnet for free:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=716390

    Audible should be a prohibitive favorite, although there is a chance of rain and Audible lost one of his 2 non-wins on a sloppy track (the KY Derby).

    Larry
    DevilHorse

    Audible finishes 2nd at 0.10 odds to a 25-1 shot. The slop could have had something to do with it.
    Here are the race results, courtesy of Brisnet:
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  15. #55

    Audible Enters the Pegasus!!

    Audible is entered in the $9M Pegasus on Saturday 1/26/2019. Post 10 against 11 other competitors. If you finish, it is an easy $200K.

    Here are the Past Performances, courtesy of Brisnet:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1720188

    If the direct URL above doesn't work, go to Todd Pletcher's page:
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/brisw...9/summary.html
    Search for Audible
    Click on "Ultimate PPs"

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    Last edited by DevilHorse; 01-25-2019 at 08:23 AM.

  16. #56

    Audible Finishes 5th, and wins a consolation 1/2 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Audible is entered in the $9M Pegasus on Saturday 1/26/2019. Post 10 against 11 other competitors. If you finish, it is an easy $200K.

    Here are the Past Performances, courtesy of Brisnet:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1720188

    If the direct URL above doesn't work, go to Todd Pletcher's page:
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/brisw...9/summary.html
    Search for Audible
    Click on "Ultimate PPs"

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    Audible finishes 5th and wins $550,000.
    The track was horrible.

    Betters too took a bath.
    The lines are shown here:
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  17. #57

    Audible in Meyden 3/30/2019 - Dubai World Cup

    Audible is running in the Dubai World Cup

    I don't have Past Performances (at the moment) but Audible is number 4.
    Here is a list of post positions:
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/ra...ubai_World_Cup

    It is likely to be on TV, so keep an eye out for it if interested.


    The Dubai World Cup can be found on page 29 of this file, courtesy of Equibase:
    http://www.equibase.com/content/rotd/dubai.pdf


    Larry
    DevilHorse
    Last edited by DevilHorse; 03-28-2019 at 09:51 AM.

  18. #58
    Well, Audible will not be the favorite, but I think he is worth a bet.
    Audible has lost 3 of his last 4 races.
    But in his life, he has only raced on 3 off tracks (get the picture).
    If he likes the fast going in Dubai, and he is in shape, he could do well.
    He has won every race in his life on a fast track. Now that is an angle. Does it rain in the desert?

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  19. #59

    Moonachie

    I thought I'd prime the pump before the Breeder's Cup with some (very early) Kentucky Derby 2020 talk.

    I've seen a couple of very nice 2YOC so far this year (I'm sure there are a few I haven't seen).

    Dennis' Moment - has had 3 starts. Lost a jockey, won by 19 lengths, won the Iroquois Stakes for fun. Nice Buzz on this one (Tiznow out of Elusive Quality mare (Secretariat connection). Dale Romans trains this one (affiliated with Blue Devil Racing).
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1488003

    Today, a nice looking horse, owned by Giants/Patriots/Jets ex-Coach Bill Parcells (August Dawn Stable) is racing in the 3rd at Belmont.
    He's named for a little town in the shadow of MetLife Stadium.
    Moonachie had a blow-out initial race win at Saratoga, and is not the ML favorite today. Will be interesting.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...63&param3=1380
    Moonachie is by Central Banker (Speightstown) whose had a surprisingly good start to his stud career.

    The 4 horse, City Man, is undefeated in this race too. A few of these Mucho Macho Man's can run. Both ponies are Stakes winners at Saratoga.
    City Man is out of a City Zip mare, so we'll see if this colt is dominated by the long (MMM) or the short (CZ) of it.

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I thought I'd prime the pump before the Breeder's Cup with some (very early) Kentucky Derby 2020 talk.

    I've seen a couple of very nice 2YOC so far this year (I'm sure there are a few I haven't seen).

    Dennis' Moment - has had 3 starts. Lost a jockey, won by 19 lengths, won the Iroquois Stakes for fun. Nice Buzz on this one (Tiznow out of Elusive Quality mare (Secretariat connection). Dale Romans trains this one (affiliated with Blue Devil Racing).
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1488003

    Today, a nice looking horse, owned by Giants/Patriots/Jets ex-Coach Bill Parcells (August Dawn Stable) is racing in the 3rd at Belmont.
    He's named for a little town in the shadow of MetLife Stadium.
    Moonachie had a blow-out initial race win at Saratoga, and is not the ML favorite today. Will be interesting.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...63&param3=1380
    Moonachie is by Central Banker (Speightstown) whose had a surprisingly good start to his stud career.

    The 4 horse, City Man, is undefeated in this race too. A few of these Mucho Macho Man's can run. Both ponies are Stakes winners at Saratoga.
    City Man is out of a City Zip mare, so we'll see if this colt is dominated by the long (MMM) or the short (CZ) of it.

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    Just as an update.
    Moonachie broke late from the gate and scrambled to take the lead. But faltered in the stretch to finish 4th. There were 4 (nice) colts fighting in the stretch. Cleon Jones (any '69 Mets fans out there) won the race. I think we'll be hearing from these boys later this year.

    Larry
    DevilHorse

Similar Threads

  1. Hurley Horse Happenings 2010
    By DevilHorse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 04:01 PM
  2. Hurley Horse Happenings - 2009!
    By DevilHorse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 04:10 PM
  3. Hurley Horse Happenings - '08 Edition
    By DevilHorse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
  4. Hurley Horse Happenings - Dagger
    By DevilHorse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM
  5. Hurley Horse Happenings - Oct 5 - Big M Cup
    By DevilHorse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •