Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Not to ruin the party, but St. John's still has a great chance of missing the tournament... by which I mean the NIT. And Villanova had injuries to key players.

I think we have a good chance of winning the national championship, but St John's is always going to be a horrible loss on our resume.
    While SJU beating Nova doesn't do much for me in feeling better about our loss (although part of that is I didn't get too down after the loss), I'm not sure I agree the loss is "horrible" on our resume.

Some of that is semantics, I'm sure. I would certainly call it a bad loss. But, here are the RPI buckets for this season:

SJU is going to be in the 76-135 range, and therefore a road loss to them is a Tier 2 loss. I would call a Tier 3 or Tier 4 loss horrible but not Tier 1 or Tier 2.

Like I said, semantics, maybe. But worth making this post, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    While SJU beating Nova doesn't do much for me in feeling better about our loss (although part of that is I didn't get too down after the loss), I'm not sure I agree the loss is "horrible" on our resume.

Some of that is semantics, I'm sure. I would certainly call it a bad loss. But, here are the RPI buckets for this season:

SJU is going to be in the 76-135 range, and therefore a road loss to them is a Tier 2 loss. I would call a Tier 3 or Tier 4 loss horrible but not Tier 1 or Tier 2.

Like I said, semantics, maybe. But worth making this post, I think.
    Certainly not Wofford bad.

Still a number of games left in the season so maybe these two wins are a stepping stone for the Redstorm and they can notch several more wins along the way. That would certainly help the numbers and help ease the sting from Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    SJU is going to be in the 76-135 range, and therefore a road loss to them is a Tier 2 loss.
    FWIW, right now St. John's is in the 1 to 75 range in RPI, so that would be a tier 1 loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Still a number of games left in the season so maybe these two wins are a stepping stone for the Redstorm and they can notch several more wins along the way. That would certainly help the numbers and help ease the sting from Saturday.
    Exactly my discussion with my students today before the class began...

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Wait, I thought SEC stood for Situational Ethics Conference.
    Something something glass houses.

NC State loss at home last year was a bad loss. It was the worst loss stastically speaking in years.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    NC State loss at home last year was a bad loss. It was the worst loss stastically speaking in years.
    What about Lehigh and Mercer (not to bring back more bad memories)?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    He's right. NCSU was worse than either of them. According to Pomeroy's numbers, NCSU in 2017 was ranked #109, and that was a home game for Duke. Mercer was ranked #87 and Lehigh was ranked #79, and both were on neutral sites. State at home in 2017 was also worse than losing to 2014 Wake Forest (#117) on the road. All of the above is also true if you look at rating rather than ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    At least Lehigh and Mercer made the NCAA Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Something something glass houses.
    Yes we live in same house as Louisville and the all time worst NCAA cheaters down the road. The ACC no longer stands for integrity.