Conf-USA scheduling quirk

I happened to be on Conference-USA's webpage the other day (qualifies me for geek status) and noticed an oddity: their teams are scheduled out only until mid-February. It's a 14-team league. Here's what they are doing at the end of the schedule (copied from their website):

Teams play 12 members once and their travel partner twice. Following the initial 14 games, teams will be grouped based on their finish and scheduled against four conference opponents in the final three weeks of the season for an 18-game schedule. Potential dates during group play are Saturday, Feb. 23, Thursday, Feb. 28, Sunday, March 3, Wednesday, March 6 and Saturday, March 9.

12 teams make the conference tournament.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I happened to be on Conference-USA's webpage the other day (qualifies me for geek status) and noticed an oddity: their teams are scheduled out only until mid-February. It's a 14-team league. Here's what they are doing at the end of the schedule (copied from their website):

Teams play 12 members once and their travel partner twice. Following the initial 14 games, teams will be grouped based on their finish and scheduled against four conference opponents in the final three weeks of the season for an 18-game schedule. Potential dates during group play are Saturday, Feb. 23, Thursday, Feb. 28, Sunday, March 3, Wednesday, March 6 and Saturday, March 9.

12 teams make the conference tournament.

Thoughts?
    Love it! Proto-relegation! We so need it...

-jk

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Love it! Proto-relegation! We so need it...

-jk
    They need the RPI/NET boost. The ACC doesn’t.

They should just do some subjective scheduling at the end -- sort of like Skeeter Francis determining when to call a TV timeout in ACC games before it was standardized.

It's an interesting concept. It's all to try to get one team an at large bid.

Currently, they have only a slight chance of getting that second bid. Will be interesting to see if the 4 game session hurts or helps that case.

Also, the worst 4 teams get a bit of end of season excitement as they play a round robin against each other to see who gets left out of the conference tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    It's an interesting concept. It's all to try to get one team an at large bid.]
    I agree...and if I were running a conference like that, it is what I would do (or something like it).

As mentioned above it is for RPI/NET Boost. The C-USA is tired of only getting in one team and want to get at least one at large bid every year as well. It is a really creative way to schedule in order to try and get that at large bid. I will be following this seeing as how Old Dominion is the hometown school and a member of the C-USA and with a quality road win over 'Cuse at the Carrier Dome on Saturday this could really help them depending on how the fair in conference play.