heytvelt article

did anyone else read this article and not feel the least bit sorry for Heytvelt?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...ndy&id=3077211

i mean why should we have any sympathy for a guy who was toking up the night before a game, driving at night with no headlights on and then caught red-handed with a bag of drugs? i really doubt that this was the first time in his life he hit the pipe. i guess once few got over his initial anger, he decided that having a big force on the inside was more important than doing what was right.

I don't feel sorry for the guy, but it wouldn't be a "feel-good" story if Katz didn't talk about all the positive changes that he is trying to make. I mean, I'm sure that he's made other mistakes, but he was only 20 or so and has apparently attempted to turn the corner. I don't feel at all sorry for him, but I don't feel that he shouldn't be given the chance to show that he's not going to continue to make idiotic choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I don't feel sorry for the guy, but it wouldn't be a "feel-good" story if Katz didn't talk about all the positive changes that he is trying to make. I mean, I'm sure that he's made other mistakes, but he was only 20 or so and has apparently attempted to turn the corner. I don't feel at all sorry for him, but I don't feel that he shouldn't be given the chance to show that he's not going to continue to make idiotic choices.
    Agreed. Call me a cynic, but I don't believe this was an isolated one-time mistake. As such, I don't feel compelled to feel sorry for him. That said, young people do make dumb mistakes sometimes. If he's really making efforts to be a changed man and indeed does make changes, then I agree that he deserves a second chance.

He is a 20 year old guy who was caught with small amounts of pot (<0.1 gram) and mushrooms. He wasn't driving while impaired. No one got hurt. It was a year ago. He has gotten his act together. Next play.

The real world is full of young people who make mistakes. I, for one, am happy to hear that it appears that he is on the right track. The following is a post I made a month ago re Heytvelt.

According to the link below, Josh Heytvelt is expected to have the charges against him dismissed and he will be able to join the Zags for the upcoming season. Like many a young person, he made some mistakes related to drugs and he has apparently more than met his legal obligations.

From the few games I've seen him play, Heytvelt has a very good upside - he runs and jumps very well, his timing on rebounds and blocking shots is excellent and he has offensive inside moves as well as a nice touch to his jump shot. I expect him to be one of the top big men in the country and his return should help the Zags. Besides Heytvelt, they return six players who saw plenty of action last year, including Pargo, Bouldin, Downs and Pendergraft. They also return Gurganious, who saw action two years ago and was injured last year. Their freshmen class adds some frontcourt size.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/...091207aaq.html

gw67

I apologize. The link in the previous post no longer exists. The article pointed out that he had gone way beyond the requirements imposed on him by the court and that he had also volunteered many hours for different causes.

I coached baseball for many years. During that time some of my players and ex-players made mistakes, big and small. All those that I talked to were genuinely sorry for the hurt they caused. From the two articles, it seems to me that he is trying to right a wrong and the incident should be forgotten. I doubt that opposing fans will let him forget, however.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I apologize. The link in the previous post no longer exists. The article pointed out that he had gone way beyond the requirements imposed on him by the court and that he had also volunteered many hours for different causes.

I coached baseball for many years. During that time some of my players and ex-players made mistakes, big and small. All those that I talked to were genuinely sorry for the hurt they caused. From the two articles, it seems to me that he is trying to right a wrong and the incident should be forgotten. I doubt that opposing fans will let him forget, however.

gw67
    And I think it's fine (within reason, of course) that they don't let him forget for a while. Maybe it will help keep him from making the mistake again. He sounds as though he's prepared for some heckling.