RV/Motorhome tire safety

I have no idea whether many or any of us here use or own RVs or motorhomes. It seems, however, that at least one tire manufacturer for many years is likely to have been concealing major defects resulting in highway speed tire failure, an extremely dangerous situation. I won't name the manufacturer here on the DBR. But, Jalopnik has the story.

So check your vehicle for these tires. If you have them, change them out! I understand that these tires are now old--an even better reason to get rid of them.

If you have tires on any vehicle that are approaching 10 years old, get them off your vehicle NOW. Why? Because they are vulcanizing on the inside (unless you fill with 100% nitrogen) and vulcanizing on the outside. Vulcanizing is the hardening of rubber. It’s done intentionally to many products to, well, harden them. It’s done by oxygenation- exposing the rubber to high concentrations of oxygen and heat. The air we breathe is 20.8% oxygen, and the sun heats your tire surfaces, and over time your tires vulcanize. They become brittle and prone to failure.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

^ yeah, i've got a friend who works for Michelin in the Pimento State, and he doesn't like using ANY tire for more than five or six years, though you can go longer if the tire is carefully inspected.
    Sidewalls get brittle, bad stuff happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I have no idea whether many or any of us here use or own RVs or motorhomes. It seems, however, that at least one tire manufacturer for many years is likely to have been concealing major defects resulting in highway speed tire failure, an extremely dangerous situation. I won't name the manufacturer here on the DBR. But, Jalopnik has the story.

So check your vehicle for these tires. If you have them, change them out! I understand that these tires are now old--an even better reason to get rid of them.
    Regardless of brand, RV tires need to be carefully inspected and pressure maintained, along with not overloading the RV. Not saying the victims in the Jalopnik story were at fault. Just saying all of us RV owners need to be careful. Keep the weight down, keep the pressure up, keep speed down.