Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by godins View Post
    if ND is seeded 10-13 in the ACC they won't be making it to the NCAA -- period. No NCAA life to fight for.
    Unless they win the ACC Tournament, which they would probably feel like they have a puncher's chance at doing if they are at full strength by then.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    At this point do we root against UVA since they're in first place, or do we root against Louisville since we're actually competing with them for second in the conference? If Louisville wins we remain in third place.
    We have Louisville at Cameron later on in the season. I'm not going to spend any energy rooting against them.

Unless they win the ACC Tournament, which they would probably feel like they have a puncher's chance at doing if they are at full strength by then.
    It's certainly possible, but being seeded 10-15 would mean 5 games in 5 days. Other than the 2011 UConn team, has any team gotten close to accomplishing that?

We have a bit of a news explosion within the ACC today:

- Jalek Felton suspended from UNC
    - Bruce Brown to have foot surgery, out ~6wks
    - Mark Donnal (Clemson reserve) out tonight with a concussion
    - The UVA flu stuff

Yikes. Everyone stay indoors!

At this point do we root against UVA since they're in first place, or do we root against Louisville since we're actually competing with them for second in the conference? If Louisville wins we remain in third place.
    but we still have to play Loovuhl and if we beat them, we would be tied and have the tie-breaker due to winning the head to head match up. I honestly don't think we can catch UVA, but they have to lose at least one (and then 3 more) for us to do so. My vote is to pull for Loovuhl to win, withe hope that we beat them head to head.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I agree. Miami and Louisville have been disappointing, but Duke is about where expected (slightly down, but can't argue with top-5) and UVa is doing better than most thought preseason. UNC is about where I'd have expected, if not a tick better. Clemson is certainly better than expected, as is FSU and Syracuse. Notre Dame is hanging in there despite the injuries, probably about where they should be given the injuries. Va Tech is about where they should be I think.

It's a really strong middle class, just a bit lighter at the top due to Louisville and Miami not being the top-20 teams as expected.
    Notre Dame, with Colson/Farrell/Harvey playing at full strength in December, lost to Ball State(Kenpom 178)in South Bend and IU(which you have described on DBR as a horrible or terrible team)in Indy. The Irish weren't exactly a juggernaut before the slew of injuries.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post

- The UVA flu stuff

Well you know what that means for Clemson tonight. Elijah Thomas will have his second foul before 5 minutes are played in tonight's game against the Cheats.

Don't sleep on the Bruce Brown news. He's Miami's best player (leads team in rebounds, assists, and steals while being 2nd in points) even if his shooting has been off this year compared to his freshman campaign. He's out 6 weeks, which means he maybe plays in the ACC tourney. This is significant news in the middle/top of the ACC race.

Miami, Clemson, and ND all playing without their best player at this point. Whew, the other teams in the upper-middle ACC may have caught a real break!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I think we root against UVa, as we still control our own destiny with Louisville. That, and finishing 2nd or 3rd in the ACC doesn't make a ton of difference to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Don't sleep on the Bruce Brown news. He's Miami's best player (leads team in rebounds, assists, and steals while being 2nd in points) even if his shooting has been off this year compared to his freshman campaign. He's out 6 weeks, which means he maybe plays in the ACC tourney. This is significant news in the middle/top of the ACC race.

Miami, Clemson, and ND all playing without their best player at this point. Whew, the other teams in the upper-middle ACC may have caught a real break!
    Oh, wow, that is a tough break. Really hurts them from a depth perspective, and he was still their best player.

Quote Originally Posted by godins View Post
    Never too early to talk about seeding! However, I don't agree with you. First, if ND is seeded 10-13 in the ACC they won't be making it to the NCAA -- period. No NCAA life to fight for. Bonzie's recovery timeline has him coming back by the ACCT if things go well. Does he even play if ND is out of contention?
    Everything I know about Wells and all his body language last night suggests he will be back as soon as he is able.

Why would he come back for this season only to not come back for March, if cleared medically?

Hate it for the kid, truly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Everything I know about Wells and all his body language last night suggests he will be back as soon as he is able.

Why would he come back for this season only to not come back for March, if cleared medically?

Holy basketball Freudian slip Batman

Bonzi Wells
    bonzi-wells.jpg
    Bonzie Colson
    colson.jpg

Although Wells was a SG and Colson is a PF they are both the same height. If Colson started rocking a headband I might even do a double take
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Foot injuries are tricky, something we know all-too-well here on DBR. I don't see Brey rushing Bonzie back if he's at all worried about the risk of re-injury. Brey even said that himself back in January. It sounds like Brey is thinking about Bonzie's career, as any good coach would: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ie-colson-back

With an 8 week recovery timeline he'd be back just in time for the ACCT. Any later and his senior season, lamentably, will have been for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post

Bonzi Wells
    bonzi-wells.jpg
    Bonzie Colson
    colson.jpg

Although Wells was a SG and Colson is a PF they are both the same height. If Colson started rocking a headband I might even do a double take
    Also not to be confused with his contemporary, Bubba Wells:

Act_Bubba_Wells.jpg

This has been "LET'S REMEMBER SOME GUYS."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Also not to be confused with his contemporary, Bubba Wells:

Act_Bubba_Wells.jpg

This has been "LET'S REMEMBER SOME GUYS."
    6c5b9413a2460b091259e761d07d9fea.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post

Bonzi Wells
    bonzi-wells.jpg
    Bonzie Colson
    colson.jpg

Busted.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post

- The UVA flu stuff

“The State of the Conference is unwell”

What do you it’s think of the State vs Notre Dame game? On paper the Pack should win by double digits vs a depleted team. That ND bunch that is left sure is scrappy though.

Clemson is putting the hurt on UNC, up 16 at half after drilling a long three at the buzzer. Basically everything has gone wrong for the CHeats - Pinson left the game after landing hard when he was pushed going up for a rebound (a really tough break for them, that was a very physical and borderline dirty play). They look lost on offense and their defense is abysmal, probably worse than ours was at the start of the conference season.

Clemson is putting the hurt on UNC, up 16 at half after drilling a long three at the buzzer. Basically everything has gone wrong for the CHeats - Pinson left the game after landing hard when he was pushed going up for a rebound (a really tough break for them, that was a very physical and borderline dirty play). They look lost on offense and their defense is abysmal, probably worse than ours was at the start of the conference season.
    Tough place to play when things go south. I remember Duke getting blown out down there. Losing Pinson is a big deal for them and Clemson has been on fire from deep. Let's see if Clemson can close the deal.