Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The corollary to your point is Vijay Singh, who won 22 times after reaching 40. Steve Stricker won 12. Snead won 17. Kenny Perry won 11 and should have won a 12th at the Masters at age 48 (blew it on the last whole).

Tiger will almost certainly never return to the player he once was. But he doesn’t need to be that player in order to win tournaments here and there.
    Point taken.

Edit: Not that I didn't trust you , but I went and checked on Stricker. He won 9 times after 40, just 3 times before. How does that happen? Won twice at 29, once at 34, and then 'exploded' after 40. Talk about a late bloomer.

Vijay was on fire from 40-45. Snead was a different era. Perry another late bloomer, only 3 wins before 40.

But again, good points.
    Last edited by dudog84; 02-24-2018 at 11:04 AM.

16 of Vijay's wins came when he was 40-42.

I would love for older guys to succeed, as I'm now on the back side of my 40s. But the odds are against them.

Scoring is better today. Tiger is dropping by playing even (only 5 holes so far).

Tiger now 1-under on the day, even on the tournament, through 8 holes. He is tied for 15th just 3 shots back of the trio who lead. If this was Masters weekend, and he made a run on Sunday, the TV ratings would rival the Super Bowl.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Woods is at 9th, but the leaders are pulling away with a strong early day. Jamie Lovemark and Luke List are 3 under on their first 9, tied at -6 for the tourney. Woods is at -1.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Tiger finishes -1 for the day, even for tournament, tied for 12th. Leader currently at -7. With a bit over a dozen guys still on the course he could end up a little better or worse, but looking at the leaderboard I doubt he'll end up any worse than tied for 14th or 15th. Started at 14th, so not much moving on moving day.

He always wants to win, but with a decent day tomorrow I think he'll be very happy with his play this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

He always wants to win, but with a decent day tomorrow I think he'll be very happy with his play this tournament.
    I agree. His comeback will require steady effort. I'm neither a Tiger fan nor a Tiger hater. I wish him the best of luck but my expectations are minimal he will most likely be a guy who competes for top 10 finishes.
    Bob Green

Wow. Waking up on Sunday morning and planning my afternoon around watching golf to see if Tiger can make a patented Sunday run. Is it 2005? Something feels very nostalgic this morning and I'm sure I'm not alone. If Tiger can finish top 10 or better, there will be a buzz around golf that hasn't been there in a while.

It's amazing what just the mere presence of one player can do for a sport.

So, here's another example of the effect Tiger can have on ratings, as if you need anymore proof.

My wife, who to my knowledge has never watched a golf event on TV in her life, just walked into the room and said, "what time does the golf come on today? Isn't Tiger playing well?"

I told her he was playing well enough to be mentioned, and making a run to a top 5 finish was definitely doable.

She said, "Good, I want to watch it, and I hope his ex wife gets our her voodoo doll and curses him again. He should never be able to enjoy success again for all the despicable things he did to his family and the embarrassment he caused them. I hope he collapses in epic fashion."

I was floored. My wife is the most caring, kind, forgiving person in the world. She's always taking up for people that I don't "give the benefit of the doubt". But I guess she is the silent majority of wives and mother's out there that haven't forgotten about Tigers past transgressions which was further proof that there will be tons of casual tv viewers tuning in today just to see what happens. That's how polarizing Tiger is. I had no idea my wife had even been keeping up with the story.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    If Tiger can finish top 10 or better, there will be a buzz around golf that hasn't been there in a while.
    Tiger birdies #1 and is now in the top 10 (T9). The course seems to be playing easier today with a lot of birdies. Can he make a run? If he finishes in the top 5, the Masters odds on him are going to plummet!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Tiger birdies #1 and is now in the top 10 (T9). The course seems to be playing easier today with a lot of birdies. Can he make a run? If he finishes in the top 5, the Masters odds on him are going to plummet!
    Good thing I got my bets in 2 months ago. 😀

Double bogey on the par three. Ouch. 2 feet from greatness.

Tiger roaring with one of the best rounds of the day (-3) until the double bogey at 15. Let's see how he plays the last 3 holes.

Tiger roaring with one of the best rounds of the day (-3) until the double bogey at 15. Let's see how he plays the last 3 holes.
    Finishes at Even on the day and the tourney. Currently T11.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Finishes at Even on the day and the tourney. Currently T11.
    Yep, looks like he'll finish the day where he started, T11. Three-putt on 16 cost him another stroke. Overall, he should be pleased with his week. Wonder if he thinks so. I expect him to say so, but that's press-conference-speak.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Yep, looks like he'll finish the day where he started, T11. Three-putt on 16 cost him another stroke. Overall, he should be pleased with his week. Wonder if he thinks so. I expect him to say so, but that's press-conference-speak.
    Finishing 12th out of a field of over 100? I'd be happy. Wonder what his take home pay was.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Finishing 12th out of a field of over 100? I'd be happy. Wonder what his take home pay was.
    I'd be very happy. Hard to take over the field with the people ahead. Justin Thomas is a beast.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wonder what his take home pay was.
    $151,800.00
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    $151,800.00
    Chump change to Tiger. Even with the huge settlement to his wife and losing many of his endorsements in the wake of the sex scandals, he's still said to be worth about $750 million.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Chump change to Tiger. Even with the huge settlement to his wife and losing many of his endorsements in the wake of the sex scandals, he's still said to be worth about $750 million.
    Just scraping by. Imagine what he would be worth now if the scandal never happened. May have passed Jordan.