Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Now that we have a few more data points, how do we feel about Tiger being Tiger again? I thought about doing a poll to get everyone on record now as to how we think he'll finish up his career(on the big tour at least).
    I do not think he will ever return to the level of putting when he was dominating, but if his back holds then he will win again, and probably pick up at least one more major.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Now that we have a few more data points, how do we feel about Tiger being Tiger again? I thought about doing a poll to get everyone on record now as to how we think he'll finish up his career(on the big tour at least).
    I don’t think anyone expects Tiger to be the Tiger of old again. The debate settles on whether he can win a major (any major) again. I think he can, so long as his back holds up. Whether he will or not remains to be seen. The Open suggests he is capable, it is a matter of giving himself enough opportunities (i.e., staying healthy).

Tiger -3 through five holes today. Not too shabby. Maybe he can put up a nice number under good afternoon conditions today.

He came into the day even.

He is six under in his last 23 holes. The 3-over on the first two holes of the tourney is marring an otherwise stellar two days from him. Not discounting those two holes of course. They happened. But he grinded out the next several holes and finished strong yesterday, and he started strong today before the weather stoppage. Hope he can continue his good play through the weekend.

Tiger has to be a lock for the Ryder Cup now. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yeah, today was an impressive display. He hit maybe 2 fairways all day yet still posted the low round of the day. I would be shocked if he was left off the Ryder Cup squad.

This was a nice bounceback for Woods. He struggled last weekend, but played as well as anyone... except for the first two holes of the tournament (he shot +3 on holes 10 and 11 to start Thursday).

I think the key for him now is staying healthy. His game is still clearly good enough to win a major. It is a matter of giving himself enough opportunities before his physical skills decline too much. But he has to be pleased with a top-10 at The Open and a 2nd in the PGA despite still not playing his best golf and having to scramble a ton in both events.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    If Tiger is left off the Ryder Cup team, the CBS Sports suits will go absolutely bonkers.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, today was an impressive display. He hit maybe 2 fairways all day yet still posted the low round of the day. I would be shocked if he was left off the Ryder Cup squad.

This was a nice bounceback for Woods. He struggled last weekend, but played as well as anyone... except for the first two holes of the tournament (he shot +3 on holes 10 and 11 to start Thursday).

I think the key for him now is staying healthy. His game is still clearly good enough to win a major. It is a matter of giving himself enough opportunities before his physical skills decline too much. But he has to be pleased with a top-10 at The Open and a 2nd in the PGA despite still not playing his best golf and having to scramble a ton in both events.
    For 3/8”, divided over three putts, Tiger wins. 1/8” on his putt on 1, 1/8” on the putt that hung on the lip (would a Nike ball have fallen for him?) and 1/8” the last lip out on 16(?). Very impressive performance!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If Tiger is left off the Ryder Cup team, the CBS Sports suits will go absolutely bonkers.
    Even when Woods was the best golfer on the planet, his performance in the Ryder Cup was generally not good.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    CBS will be fine, since it’s NBC that carries the Ryder Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Even when Woods was the best golfer on the planet, his performance in the Ryder Cup was generally not good.
    True, but not the point. He brings eyes to the screen.

And now that he's not the very best golfer on the planet, he'll probably play better. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    CBS will be fine, since it’s NBC that carries the Ryder Cup.
    Thanks. Here was the Google search entry I used:
    Ryder Cup TV Broadcast - CBSSports.com
    https://www.cbssports.com/golf/tourn...up/tvbroadcast

CBSSports.com also provides in-depth Ryder Cup golf coverage, including matches, news, notes and previews.
    I needed one more click to get the relevant detail. It's primarily an ESPN/NBC production.
    Thursday, Sept. 30 Opening Ceremonies ESPN News Noon-1 p.m.
    Ryder Cup analysis ESPN 2-3 p.m.
    Friday, Oct. 1 Day 1 matches ESPN 3 a.m.-1 p.m.
    Day 1 matches (rebroadcast) ESPN2 2-10 p.m.
    Saturday, Oct. 2 Day 2 matches NBC 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
    Sunday, Oct. 3 Ryder Cup analysis (tape delay) ESPN2 12:30 a.m.-1:30 a.m.
    Day 3 NBC 7 a.m.-1 p.m.
    Closing Ceremonies ESPN 1-2 p.m.
    Why this is on CBSSports.com, I have no idea.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    True, but not the point. He brings eyes to the screen.

And now that he's not the very best golfer on the planet, he'll probably play better. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
    But it is the point. I was writing about whether Woods should be selected to the team, and pointed out that his Ryder Cup record is dismal. Furyk's goal is to win the Cup, not to bring "eyes to the screen."

But it is the point. I was writing about whether Woods should be selected to the team, and pointed out that his Ryder Cup record is dismal. Furyk's goal is to win the Cup, not to bring "eyes to the screen."
    But you were writing in response to sage's post, which was talking about who would be upset if Tiger was left off. The TV companies don't care whether Tiger plays well in the Ryder Cup. They just care that he plays, which was sage's point.

Furyk's goal is to win the Cup, not to bring "eyes to the screen."
    Yup.

Having said that -- if Furyk left Tiger off the team and lost, he'd never hear the end of it. If Furyk selected Tiger and lost, he could say that he selected an experienced player who is showing championship-competitive form.

But not sure who is in contention for the captain's selections so not sure who Furyk would take in lieu of Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yup.

Having said that -- if Furyk left Tiger off the team and lost, he'd never hear the end of it. If Furyk selected Tiger and lost, he could say that he selected an experienced player who is showing championship-competitive form.

But not sure who is in contention for the captain's selections so not sure who Furyk would take in lieu of Tiger.
    Just looking at the OWGR rankings, here are the next 10 contenders (in order):

Schauffele
    DeChambeau
    Mickelson
    Cantlay
    Tiger
    Kisner
    Stanley
    Finau
    Kuchar
    Harman
    Hoffman

If I had a pie fetish, I'd be going lemon meringue on Lefty and Tiger (experience uber alles) and whoever among the rest makes major noise in the FedEx Cup events.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yup.

Here are the next 10 players in the Ryder Cup standings after the 8 automatics (DeChambeau, Phil, Tiger, Schauffele, Kuchar, Kisner, Finau, Stanley, Hartman, and Na) if the picture is too small

ryder.jpg

Everyone seems to think that Tiger and Phil are foregone conclusions. I tend to agree. Records aside, experience in the format does matter. Because of that and his recent form I think that Tiger is a lock. I see more wiggle room on Phil as he hasn't been playing that well recently. Who else? Dechambeau, Schauffele, Kuchar, and maybe Finau seem the likely options
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Tour Championship

Wow, I'm amazed that no one has brought this thread back to the top after Tiger's great first round at the Tour Championship.

In prior tournaments this year, it seems he has gotten off to slow starts and had to climb the leader board. Sitting tied for 1st after the first round may be just what he needs to win this tournament.

With only one bogey, 4 birdies and an eagle on 18, Tiger is looking very strong. He tees off at 2:00 today.

It could be a fun weekend of golf!

Thanks for the heads up. I think the casu golf viewer has lost interest since major season is over. But if Tiger dominates in one of these tournaments, look out Master's odds makers! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Wow, I'm amazed that no one has brought this thread back to the top after Tiger's great first round at the Tour Championship.

In prior tournaments this year, it seems he has gotten off to slow starts and had to climb the leader board. Sitting tied for 1st after the first round may be just what he needs to win this tournament.

With only one bogey, 4 birdies and an eagle on 18, Tiger is looking very strong. He tees off at 2:00 today.

It could be a fun weekend of golf!
    There is a separate thread on the FedEX playoffs, with all sorts of moaning and weeping.
    Sage Grouse