Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I know bordering on PPB, but only in response to this comment (no worse than equating President Trump with violence as was done above by a poster):

I am one of them, without the “buckling.” And actually from last year. (Was a season ticket holder for years)

To me the NFL took sides by inaction. Merely hiding the players to avoid bad looks will not change my activities. Players have a right to protest, but so do I.

Amazing what 6-10 incremental free hours can help one accomplish in a week.

I just don’t care about the NFL anymore.
    I work with multiple people as well who were rabid fans and just quit watching 3 weeks in due to the kneeling.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I find this thread fascinating. I heard online of so many folks threatening to not watch over the controversy, but assumed it was just yammering. I personally don't know anyone who followed through on those threats, and it seemed like a very odd thing to do. In my mind there are so many more pressing issues and other good reasons to stop watching. I suppose I have learned something. Just not sure what, exactly.

(in before the thread goes full PPB and gets locked!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That will not happen. This thread is one about the human condition, not some political ephemera!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I find this thread fascinating. I heard online of so many folks threatening to not watch over the controversy, but assumed it was just yammering. I personally don't know anyone who followed through on those threats, and it seemed like a very odd thing to do. In my mind there are so many more pressing issues and other good reasons to stop watching. I suppose I have learned something. Just not sure what, exactly.

To be honest, I think it was more than the kneeling. That was just the straw that broke the camel's back for some. The domestic violence issues, concussions and the cover up, the unprofessionalism of some players, the stupid interpretations of some of the rules of completing a catch and the series of reviews that slows the game down(did he survive the ground?). All this, and deep down, I think there is so much football to watch, some people were feeling guilty for wasting so much free time watching football.

All that, and then players start sitting or kneeling during the anthem, I think enough was enough for some.

NFL is still putting out the most watched shows in America, but losing ratings 3 years in a row is not something the owners will just sit on the sidelines and continue to watch happen. They will find a way to make the kneeling go away.

The problem I see with the xfl is that it must differentiate itself from the NFL. It did accomplish that the first attempt, but still failed. The quicker games is the only thing so far that I see as being more appealing than the nfl version.

But, just like last time, anything the xfl does that is seen as innovative, there's nothing stopping the NFL from adapting it. The NFL adapted the sky cam from xfl and still uses it today.

McMahon has an uphill climb, but I wouldn't count him out too early.

Update!

XFL unveils 8 team cities, stadiums, says games will be cheaper, fast-paced

Play is scheduled to begin on February 8, 2020.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Seems pretty goofy to me to have every single one of your cities already hosting an NFL team. So does the idea of starting play in early February.
    While I love football, I'm pretty done with it after the Super Bowl and I'm enjoying other sports.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Seems pretty goofy to me to have every single one of your cities already hosting an NFL team. So does the idea of starting play in early February.
    While I love football, I'm pretty done with it after the Super Bowl and I'm enjoying other sports.
    Not "every single one." St. Louis no longer has an NFL franchise, thanks to owner Stan Kroenke, who said he was going to do everything he could to keep the team here, which turned out to be nothing.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Not "every single one." St. Louis no longer has an NFL franchise, thanks to owner Stan Kroenke, who said he was going to do everything he could to keep the team here, which turned out to be nothing.
    Oh yeah. Enjoy spring ball, St. Louis!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Max McCaffrey has been drafted by the DC Defenders.
    I'll make sure to get the "Dukies in the XFL" thread cranked up as soon as I'm able.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Well, IIRC, St. Louis lost population over the 70s 80s 90s while most NFL cities were growing like crazy...and at some point, it was simply a very small city by pro standards. And it's a huge (baseball) Cardinal town to boot. That ties up the sports fans for 81 home games a season plus playoffs. A lot of cities struggle to have good support for both an MLB and NFL franchise. So I don't know if it's all on the owner, or more on demographic realities.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well, IIRC, St. Louis lost population over the 70s 80s 90s while most NFL cities were growing like crazy...and at some point, it was simply a very small city by pro standards. And it's a huge (baseball) Cardinal town to boot. That ties up the sports fans for 81 home games a season plus playoffs. A lot of cities struggle to have good support for both an MLB and NFL franchise. So I don't know if it's all on the owner, or more on demographic realities.
    St. Louis did NOT struggle to support the Rams. The team was so bad for so long, and that will happen with just about any franchise.

You are, of course, correct that St. Louis is the Cardinals' team first, but you might look at the unwavering support of the Blues, who needed over fifty years to finally win a Stanley Cup. The Blues' ownership certainly isn't bad-mouthing the city and its fans.

Finally, you might not know that the St. Louis city limits are drawn fairly small. References to the city's population that don't take into account the larger metro area (on both sides of the river) don't mean anything. Yes, this area has grown slowly of late, but the notion that this town isn't big enough for multiple sports franchises doesn't hold water.