Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 84, Wake 70 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Good M2M. A sight for sore eyes. Solid game. Grayson was terrific. This is his team.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Solid victory for the good guys, but the weekend clash looms large.

It is time to see what the team does in a big boy conference game.

Road win. Good D. Go Duke.

Double digit win in the ACC on the road before a HUGE home game. Color me satisfied. Carter, Bagley, and Grayson held down the fort. Nice minutes from AOC with a sprinkle of Casey Sanders...I mean Javin D. All in all, any road win in the ACC is a good win. On to the next one...

Fifth straight game we've held an opponent under 1 point a possession and not coincidentally, fifth straight game we've beaten our kenpom projection defensively. Expect another boost in defensive rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Road win. Good D. Go Duke.
    Duval needs to follow Grayson's lead...feed the big men....his primary purpose is to set other guys up in his role as point guard. Believe that was the point K was making the last 8 mins of game.
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

A road win is a road win.

Seems like the Wake strategy was they knew they couldn't matchup in talent so they resorted to a physical game with a lot of fouling. It seemed to throw Bagley off a bit but he still had a solid game. Carter had another great game as he handles the physicality as well as anyone in the ACC. Trent quietly goes about his business and Allen showed improvement but he did fall into a rough stretch in the second half with 5 empty possessions in a row. O'Connell also chipped in. He is a very good sub to have to give a lift to the team when he comes in.

Duval didn't click tonight. Maybe the setting got to him or he was sick> Whatever, I expect a return to Cameron will bring him out of it. We will need a good outing to beat Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    Double digit win in the ACC on the road before a HUGE home game. Color me satisfied. Carter, Bagley, and Grayson held down the fort. Nice minutes from AOC with a sprinkle of Casey Sanders...I mean Javin D. All in all, any road win in the ACC is a good win. On to the next one...
    Agree with all of these sentiments. I was most pleased with Grayson's taking the reigns from an erratic Trevon when the lead was starting to shrink and getting us back to neutral and then pushing the lead back out. Carter and Trent are really putting together a nice string of games during this streak. I feel like this game was evidence of very positive growth.

Now it's time to turn into the Grinch, I hope we take it all, including the roast beast.

Looked great for most of the game. Let off the gas too early, then had to rebuild the lead. Grayson was awesome as a leader and distributor. Rough game for Duval but he missed a lot of finishes at the rim that he normally makes. His shooting came back to earth in a big way. Bagley and Carter were theirnusually unstoppable selves.

Hats off to the Neanderthal from Wake, he had a monster game against our bigs.

Good energy and decent defense on the road in what could have been a trap game.

Road warriors.

Watch out Cavaliers!

Home warriors too, I hope.

Heck of a game by Grayson. He often has a bit of a hard time with finding the balance between being the solid senior captain that this team needs and being the creative spark kind of guy that fits better with his game, but man, he walked that line with aplomb tonight! Really nice to see a few shots fall for him, but his decision-making, especially his ability to make the right choices in split-second situations, was what really stood out to me.

Stat of the game: Duke took 39 FREE THROWS -- making 30 for a respectable 77 percent.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Stat of the game: Duke took 39 FREE THROWS -- making 30 for a respectable 77 percent.
    After starting 8/13 at one point, IIRC. Very impressive.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Well, ho-hum sort of game. Duke won, but certainly didn't play to our potential. People who should be good, were, pretty much. Duval seemed tired or lazy, but that allowed O'Connell to play a lot of the game. When I watch O'Connell play I think of Grayson Allen as a freshman. Now, GA saved our bacon in the NCAA finals against Wisconsin. O'Connell strikes me as the same kind of player, though GA has a little more down and dirty built into him. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out.l
    Trent has been a very positive factor, and DeLaurier had been a wild card (emphasis on wild). If we get Bolden back, he will help, but will also be critical for next year.
    I am putting my hand in the fire for Duke to win it all. If that doesn't happen, I don't know what strange action I will attempt. Short of self-immolation (God, what a way to go!) I will do something. Since the devil up the road won 11 NCAA tournament games in two years, we have to best them. So, lets get it in gear and go. Have to play better than tonight -- although they did look as if they were having fun, which counts for something.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Nice Professional Win

The team has grown up quickly. This could have been a serious trap game prior to Virginia, especially how Wake always seems to play lights on when we come to town. But solid defense, great communication, quality play from Grayson, Carter and Bagley was enough to be in control from the outset. To do that on the road after a quick turnaround game with them a few days ago says the team is locked in, and improving. The defense was good, forced turnovers, and just played solid.

Loved seeing Allen back on track, we need his 17 points per game moving forward. Right now the ACC is a two team race, I think we catch UVA as long as their weak schedule provides for a couple more losses... They seem to always have the easiest road games and only play us and UNC once. Weird.

Duval is fine, just missed some bunnies, thankfully no major turnover issues.

For awhile it appeared that my Monkey Shoulder was going to be needed in order to calm me down, but now it's serving its true purpose as a celebratory drink.

Wake is a pesky club and we could never seem to land that clean knockout punch, but the kids kept plugging away and finally Wake faded like road kill in the rearview mirror.

Moore and Saar missed a lot of close shots against UVA the other night, something I don't expect to happen with Carter and MBIII. So I feel really good about our upcoming game with UVa.

Good games from everyone not named Duval, but those things happen and have happened to all of our kids. Take it as a learning opportunity and move onto the next game.

It's a really great feeling knowing you can dump the ball down low to either Carter or MBIII and know that 9 times out of 10 something good is going to happen.

OK -

At a meeting and couldn't see the game on TV or watchESPN (assuming it was there) - but two questions
    - How did we get out rebounded 37 -31 according to the ESPN box score?
    Moore is a huge dude, but otherwise they are not a large team.

- what's up with 0-8 shooting and only 2 assists for Duval?