Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscars 2018

Oscars 2018

I think the story of the nominations may be the sudden backlash against James Franco and The Disaster Artist. Franco has been accused of some sexual harassment stuff in recent weeks and it seems that kept him from getting a best actor nod, which would have seemed to be a lock after he won the Golden Globe. The Disaster Artist was also overlooked in Best Picture, though that was less of a surprise. Meanwhile, Merryl Streep was nominated for the 943rd time for The Post, though both Spielberg and Hanks did not get nominations for that film, which I think was the best of 2017. Shows what I know.

The big winner is The Shape of Water, which got a staggering 13 nominations. Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk is second with eight noms, followed by Three Billboard with seven. Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread, which was screened so late that many critics and voters did not see it in time for earlier awards, was nominated for Best Picture and Daniel Day-Lewis for Best Actor. Get Out got 3 huge nominations for Best Picture, Best Director Jordan Peele, and Daniel Kaluuya for Best Actor (though I think Gary Oldman will win in that category). Two first time directors got Best Director nominations, Peele (who is African American) and Greta Gerwig for Lady Bird. Best Director also includes Christopher Nolan for the first time in his career (which seems ridiculous).

While I am bummed that my personal favorites Baby Driver and War for the Planet of the Apes have been almost completely overlooked this award season, I was glad they each got some recognition today. Baby Driver was nominated in 2 sound categories and for film editing. Apes got a visual effects nod.

And finally, on a personal note, the singer that my brother discovered and manages, Andra Day, will be performing her song Stand up For Something from the movie Marshall at the Oscars because it was nominated for Best Original Song. Though Andra has been a phenomenal success in the couple years since my brother gave her a record deal, this is a really, really big deal for them and I am so happy!!

-Jason "will this be the year Roger Deakins finally... after 14 nominations... wins a cinematography award? He's up for the stunning images of Blade Runner 2049" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

You thought The Post was the best film? I thought it was enjoyable, but it didn't think it was that great. Seemed like a poor man's Spotlight.

Still think The Big Sick deserved a best picture nod. Also Boss Baby and Ferdinand were nominated and not Lego Batman?

Personal favorites of the year: Blade Runner 2049, Get Out, Logan, Lady Bird and The Last Jedi.

Best movie I saw this year? This one is tough. Either Get Out or Lady Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    You thought The Post was the best film? I thought it was enjoyable, but it didn't think it was that great. Seemed like a poor man's Spotlight.

Still think The Big Sick deserved a best picture nod. Also Boss Baby and Ferdinand were nominated and not Lego Batman?

Personal favorites of the year: Blade Runner 2049, Get Out, Logan, Lady Bird and The Last Jedi.

Best movie I saw this year? This one is tough. Either Get Out or Lady Bird.
    I'm a journalist and Katherine Graham is an absolute legend in my world. Seeing her transformation was amazing.

I actually think the best film of the year was Baby Driver (until the final 20 minutes, where it goes pretty badly off the rails). I thought the direction was stunning and there was real craftsmanship on display there. But, I'm a sucker for fun movies versus serious ones. I am pretty torn by this year, though I do know one thing... The Shape Of Water was not the best film I saw this year... not even close. I don't think it would even make my top ten (thinks for a moment... Baby Driver, Get Out, The Post, Lady Bird, War for Apes, Big Sick, I Tonya, Disaster Artist, Coco, Molly's Game, Lucky Logan, Darkest Hour, Logan)... yup, Shape would not be in my top ten.

-Jason "I still need to see Hostiles, Three Billboards, and Call Me By Your Name" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm a journalist and Katherine Graham is an absolute legend in my world. Seeing her transformation was amazing.

I actually think the best film of the year was Baby Driver (until the final 20 minutes, where it goes pretty badly off the rails). I thought the direction was stunning and there was real craftsmanship on display there. But, I'm a sucker for fun movies versus serious ones. I am pretty torn by this year, though I do know one thing... The Shape Of Water was not the best film I saw this year... not even close. I don't think it would even make my top ten (thinks for a moment... Baby Driver, Get Out, The Post, Lady Bird, War for Apes, Big Sick, I Tonya, Disaster Artist, Coco, Molly's Game, Lucky Logan, Darkest Hour, Logan)... yup, Shape would not be in my top ten.

-Jason "I still need to see Hostiles, Three Billboards, and Call Me By Your Name" Evans
    Fair enough. I did enjoy it.

I still haven't seen Shape of Water or Three Billboards.

I do think it would be fun if DBR had there own Best Picture poll. We would get a sense of how everyone here feels compared to the final outcome.

I do think it would be fun if DBR had there own Best Picture poll. We would get a sense of how everyone here feels compared to the final outcome.
    I like this idea... would we limit it to the Oscar nominees or could Baby Driver and other deserving films be included?

Meanwhile, the list of films that got more than 1 nomination:

The Shape of Water — 13
    Dunkirk — 8
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri — 7
    Darkest Hour — 6
    Phantom Thread — 6
    Blade Runner: 2049 — 5
    Lady Bird — 5
    Call Me By Your Name — 4
    Get Out — 4
    Mudbound — 4
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 4
    Baby Driver — 3
    I, Tonya — 3
    The Post — 2
    Victoria & Abdul — 2

Anyone seen 12 Strong?

Super bummed that my uber-fav The Florida Project only got one supporting actor nod for Willem Dafoe. Thought director or cinematography. The child actress Brooklynn Prince was stunningly good, too.

Meh. Hollywood illuminati.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

-Jason "will this be the year Roger Deakins finally... after 14 nominations... wins a cinematography award? He's up for the stunning images of Blade Runner 2049" Evans
    he should, it was stellar.... i'm not into predictions, but i'm betting it definitely wins best sound...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    he should, it was stellar... i'm not into predictions, but i'm betting it definitely wins best sound...
    I'd think Hoyte van Hoytema, nominated for Dunkirk, is a strong contender for cinematography.

Hard to believe the sun rose and set today, and nobody in a basketball forum mentioned Oscar nominee Kobe Bryant. (Not a joke.)

Should he win, he'll join a small group of people who won Academy Awards despite becoming famous outside the film or music industry: George Bernard Shaw, Jacques Cousteau, Mario Puzo, John Irving, Larry McMurtry. Michael Crichton has a technical award. Maybe a few others, though no one comes to mind. John Steinbeck was a 3-time nominee. Raymond Chandler and Nick Hornby each have 2 nominations. Tom Ford was not nominated.

If you're wondering, Al Gore did not personally win an Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Hard to believe the sun rose and set today, and nobody in a basketball forum mentioned Oscar nominee Kobe Bryant. (Not a joke.)

Should he win, he'll join a small group of people who won Academy Awards despite becoming famous outside the film or music industry: George Bernard Shaw, Jacques Cousteau, Mario Puzo, John Irving, Larry McMurtry. Michael Crichton has a technical award. Maybe a few others, though no one comes to mind. John Steinbeck was a 3-time nominee. Raymond Chandler and Nick Hornby each have 2 nominations. Tom Ford was not nominated.

Three Six Mafia won one before Scorsese.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I'd think Hoyte van Hoytema, nominated for Dunkirk, is a strong contender for cinematography.
    If not for best name!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I like this idea... would we limit it to the Oscar nominees or could Baby Driver and other deserving films be included?

Meanwhile, the list of films that got more than 1 nomination:

The Shape of Water — 13
    Dunkirk — 8
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri — 7
    Darkest Hour — 6
    Phantom Thread — 6
    Blade Runner: 2049 — 5
    Lady Bird — 5
    Call Me By Your Name — 4
    Get Out — 4
    Mudbound — 4
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 4
    Baby Driver — 3
    I, Tonya — 3
    The Post — 2
    Victoria & Abdul — 2
    I'd like to see it opened up, but we sill have a limit on the number due to constraints on the poll size. Perhaps the field option similar to the top-5 movie contest.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

There are some questioning why Franco was left off because of being accused of sexual assault during this #metoo era, while Bryant, was actually arrested for sexual assault back in 2003. He eventually got the charges dropped after the accuser decided not to testify. She later won $5 milllion in a civil case.

The argument is that Bryant is being overlooked because he was so popular in L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Anyone seen 12 Strong?
    I saw a screening about 2 weeks ago. It was fine. Nothing special. It held my attention and didn't make me roll my eyes more than once or twice. Decent cast though Michael Shannon is wasted because he is not on screen nearly enough. If you get Michael Shannon in your film, you damn well better have him on cam a TON! I'd say it is slightly better than 13 Hours but not nearly as good as American Sniper (comparisons to 2 other January released mideast war films of recent years).

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    There are some questioning why Franco was left off because of being accused of sexual assault during this #metoo era, while Bryant, was actually arrested for sexual assault back in 2003. He eventually got the charges dropped after the accuser decided not to testify. She later won $5 milllion in a civil case.

The argument is that Bryant is being overlooked because he was so popular in L.A.
    And because the issue is not top of mind for people re Kobe. The allegations are current for Franco and not current for Kobe.

Dear Basketball also does not deserve nomination on its merits - it's a self-absorbed love story from Kobe to himself.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I saw a screening about 2 weeks ago. It was fine. Nothing special. It held my attention and didn't make me roll my eyes more than once or twice. Decent cast though Michael Shannon is wasted because he is not on screen nearly enough. If you get Michael Shannon in your film, you damn well better have him on cam a TON! I'd say it is slightly better than 13 Hours but not nearly as good as American Sniper (comparisons to 2 other January released mideast war films of recent years).
    Thanks. Agree on Michael Shannon, never seen a bad performance.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    And because the issue is not top of mind for people re Kobe. The allegations are current for Franco and not current for Kobe.

Dear Basketball also does not deserve nomination on its merits - it's a self-absorbed love story from Kobe to himself.
    I didn't realize Bryant was nominated. I now have another reason to not watch.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post

Yep. I think that further proves the point about it being an LA love fest for Kobe because of his stardom in Hollywood.

Would we have to have seen any of the movies we are voting on?

Or can it be like the MOTM poll were we can just vote based on the boxscore or upon which player we like the most?