Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1

    How have the Duke transfers done.

    It seems to me that not too many of the players who have transferred from Duke to other programs have ended up having a whole lot of hoops success. Two that come to mind who did were Billy McCaffrey and the kid who's last name I won't even try to spell who went to Syracuse.
    Are there any others?

  2. #2
    Semi Ojeleye

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Mike Chappell
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by porkpa View Post
    It seems to me that not too many of the players who have transferred from Duke to other programs have ended up having a whole lot of hoops success. Two that come to mind who did were Billy McCaffrey and the kid who's last name I won't even try to spell who went to Syracuse.
    Are there any others?
    Benjamin Watson - but not the sport you’re thinking of😎

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado

    Jamal Boykin

    Jamal Boykin transferred to Cal and, as I recall, did pretty well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Elliot Williams.

  7. #7
    Eric Boateng became a starter at ASU, although not very prolific. Chris Burgess enjoyed a reasonable amount of success at Utah. Michael Thompson was a starter at Northwestern and playing well until a heart issue stopped his career. Rasheed Sulaimon might also sniff the NBA at some point, although his departure from Duke was quite different than a simple transfer.
    The guy at Syracuse was Michael Gbinije, who might just sniff some play in the NBA at some point.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by porkpa View Post
    It seems to me that not too many of the players who have transferred from Duke to other programs have ended up having a whole lot of hoops success. Two that come to mind who did were Billy McCaffrey and the kid who's last name I won't even try to spell who went to Syracuse.
    Are there any others?
    Greg Paulus
    It's being reported that due to coronavirus fears, Harvard has asked students not to return from spring break, and for classes to be held online.

    Not to be outdone, UNC told students to stop coming to class 27 years ago under Dean Smith.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Virtually every player who transferred from Duke has had success at their second schools.

    Exceptions are Mike Chappell and Taylor King, both of whom sat on the bench at Michigan State and Villanova respectively. Chappell did play on their 2000 NCAA title team.

    Greg Wendt. Went back home to Detroit and became a double-digit scorer.

    Bill Jackman-Went back home and became a starter at Nebraska. Ended career on bench after coaching change.

    Billy McCaffrey-All-American and SEC Co-player of the Year at Vanderbilt.

    Crawford Palmer-Second-team All-Ivy at Dartmouth. Played professional in France, married a French woman, became a French citizen, represented France in the Olympics. Cool story.

    Christian Ast. Double-digit scorer at American. Averaged 18.7 ppg and 8.4 rpg as senior.

    Joey Beard. Solid career at Boston University. Long career in Europe. Averaged 12.8 ppg and 9.0 rpg as senior.

    Chappell. Reserve.

    Chris Burgess. Pretty good career at Utah, career compromised by back problems. Averaged 13.2 and 7.2 as senior.

    Andre Sweet-Went back home and started at Seton Hall. Played against Duke in 2004 NCAAs. Scored seven points.

    Eric Boateng-started for NCAAT team at Arizona State.

    Jamal Boykin-Second-Team All-Pac 10 at Cal. Averaged 12 and 7 as a senior on team that lost to Duke in 2010 NCAAT. Boykin had 13 points and 11 rebounds in that game.

    Elliot Williams. Star at Memphis. Promising NBA career ended with chronic knee problems.

    Olek Czyz. First-team All-WAC at Nevada. Averaged 13.8 and 6.5 as a senior.

    Taylor King. Meh.

    Alex Murphy-Solid player at two schools.

    Michael Gibinije-All-ACC, NBA. Nuff said.

    Rasheed Sulaimon. Averaged 11.3 ppg in two seasons at Maryland.

    Semi Ojeleye-AAC Player of the Year. 19 and 7. Boston Celtics.

    Derryck Thornton, Chase Jeter and Tucker TBD.

    Have I forgotten anyone?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Virtually every player who transferred from Duke has had success at their second schools.

    Exceptions are Mike Chappell and Taylor King, both of whom sat on the bench at Michigan State and Villanova respectively. Chappell did play on their 2000 NCAA title team.

    Greg Wendt. Went back home to Detroit and became a double-digit scorer.

    Bill Jackman-Went back home and became a starter at Nebraska. Ended career on bench after coaching change.

    Billy McCaffrey-All-American and SEC Co-player of the Year at Vanderbilt.

    Crawford Palmer-Second-team All-Ivy at Dartmouth. Played professional in France, married a French woman, became a French citizen, represented France in the Olympics. Cool story.

    Christian Ast. Double-digit scorer at American. Averaged 18.7 ppg and 8.4 rpg as senior.

    Joey Beard. Solid career at Boston University. Long career in Europe. Averaged 12.8 ppg and 9.0 rpg as senior.

    Chappell. Reserve.

    Chris Burgess. Pretty good career at Utah, career compromised by back problems. Averaged 13.2 and 7.2 as senior.

    Andre Sweet-Went back home and started at Seton Hall. Played against Duke in 2004 NCAAs. Scored seven points.

    Eric Boateng-started for NCAAT team at Arizona State.

    Jamal Boykin-Second-Team All-Pac 10 at Cal. Averaged 12 and 7 as a senior on team that lost to Duke in 2010 NCAAT. Boykin had 13 points and 11 rebounds in that game.

    Elliot Williams. Star at Memphis. Promising NBA career ended with chronic knee problems.

    Olek Czyz. First-team All-WAC at Nevada. Averaged 13.8 and 6.5 as a senior.

    Taylor King. Meh.

    Alex Murphy-Solid player at two schools.

    Michael Gibinije-All-ACC, NBA. Nuff said.

    Rasheed Sulaimon. Averaged 11.3 ppg in two seasons at Maryland.

    Semi Ojeleye-AAC Player of the Year. 19 and 7. Boston Celtics.

    Derryck Thornton, Chase Jeter and Tucker TBD.

    Have I forgotten anyone?
    Great list. Pre-K, Foster had a fairly highly recruited point guard leave after a year, can’t recall name; maybe a different Cook?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Virtually every player who transferred from Duke has had success at their second schools.

    Exceptions are Mike Chappell and Taylor King, both of whom sat on the bench at Michigan State and Villanova respectively. Chappell did play on their 2000 NCAA title team.

    Greg Wendt. Went back home to Detroit and became a double-digit scorer.

    Bill Jackman-Went back home and became a starter at Nebraska. Ended career on bench after coaching change.

    Billy McCaffrey-All-American and SEC Co-player of the Year at Vanderbilt.

    Crawford Palmer-Second-team All-Ivy at Dartmouth. Played professional in France, married a French woman, became a French citizen, represented France in the Olympics. Cool story.

    Christian Ast. Double-digit scorer at American. Averaged 18.7 ppg and 8.4 rpg as senior.

    Joey Beard. Solid career at Boston University. Long career in Europe. Averaged 12.8 ppg and 9.0 rpg as senior.

    Chappell. Reserve.

    Chris Burgess. Pretty good career at Utah, career compromised by back problems. Averaged 13.2 and 7.2 as senior.

    Andre Sweet-Went back home and started at Seton Hall. Played against Duke in 2004 NCAAs. Scored seven points.

    Eric Boateng-started for NCAAT team at Arizona State.

    Jamal Boykin-Second-Team All-Pac 10 at Cal. Averaged 12 and 7 as a senior on team that lost to Duke in 2010 NCAAT. Boykin had 13 points and 11 rebounds in that game.

    Elliot Williams. Star at Memphis. Promising NBA career ended with chronic knee problems.

    Olek Czyz. First-team All-WAC at Nevada. Averaged 13.8 and 6.5 as a senior.

    Taylor King. Meh.

    Alex Murphy-Solid player at two schools.

    Michael Gibinije-All-ACC, NBA. Nuff said.

    Rasheed Sulaimon. Averaged 11.3 ppg in two seasons at Maryland.

    Semi Ojeleye-AAC Player of the Year. 19 and 7. Boston Celtics.

    Derryck Thornton, Chase Jeter and Tucker TBD.

    Have I forgotten anyone?
    A lot of these successes are so because the player recalibrated to a different tier of competition. I set Sulaimon aside and don't consider him in this group, but there are fairly few players in this group that went elsewhere and proved themselves capable of real minutes on Duke or any other championship level program - Jeter, Tucker, and Thornton obviously pending. Personally, I would rather see spot minutes at Duke than average 19 a game at American University.

    Very interesting analysis across the board. Do fans generally see transfers as a "miss" by those who recruit? Or as impatience on the part of the player?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    A lot of these successes are so because the player recalibrated to a different tier of competition. I set Sulaimon aside and don't consider him in this group, but there are fairly few players in this group that went elsewhere and proved themselves capable of real minutes on Duke or any other championship level program - Jeter, Tucker, and Thornton obviously pending. Personally, I would rather see spot minutes at Duke than average 19 a game at American University.

    Very interesting analysis across the board. Do fans generally see transfers as a "miss" by those who recruit? Or as impatience on the part of the player?
    I do think Semi is one of them. I think he could have definitely been in the rotation and become a major contributor at Duke.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Have I forgotten anyone?
    technically, sean obi.
    It's being reported that due to coronavirus fears, Harvard has asked students not to return from spring break, and for classes to be held online.

    Not to be outdone, UNC told students to stop coming to class 27 years ago under Dean Smith.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    A lot of these successes are so because the player recalibrated to a different tier of competition. I set Sulaimon aside and don't consider him in this group, but there are fairly few players in this group that went elsewhere and proved themselves capable of real minutes on Duke or any other championship level program - Jeter, Tucker, and Thornton obviously pending. Personally, I would rather see spot minutes at Duke than average 19 a game at American University.

    Very interesting analysis across the board. Do fans generally see transfers as a "miss" by those who recruit? Or as impatience on the part of the player?
    A little from column A, a little from column B.

    And a little from column C too.

    Palmer, Ast, Murphy, and Czyz were guys who were simply overmatched at Duke (and Murphy at UF too). Of course, Czyz was not recruited to be an immediate star, so it is hard to call that a recruiting miss. Murphy appears to have been a miss. Palmer and Ast were before my time in terms of understanding their recruiting stature (I only really started following Duke around the Grant Hill era - prior to that I was an FSU guy).

    Williams would have been a star at Duke had he stayed, but either homesickness or frustration with his frosh year or the “mom is sick” or all three caused him to transfer home. Not a recruiting miss, possibly impatience.

    Boykin was not recruited to be a star at Duke, and had family illness and probably homesickness.

    Gbinije was a case of impatience, and he has since said just that. He thought he was a one-and-done talent, and didn’t figure out until after that he really wasn’t.

    Thornton appears to be in the same boat as Gbinije, as he is still a backup as a third-year sophomore.

    Tucker appears to fall in the “in over his head” boat, and transferred down a level accordingly.

    I don’t begrudge these kids in their decisions. For many, it is their last chance to play serious organized ball. For some, they want to actually play. Being a reserve is not for everyone. I am glad some are willing to do it, but I completely understand the other side too.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

    * * *

    Alex Murphy-Solid player at two schools.

    * * *

    Rasheed Sulaimon. Averaged 11.3 ppg in two seasons at Maryland.

    * * *

    Have I forgotten anyone?
    Thanks, Jim. A few minor quibbles. Sulaimon only played one season at Maryland. Murphy was solid at Northeastern, not so much at Florida. You forgot Michael Thompson (plus as someone else pointed out, Sean Obi).

  16. #16
    That is an impressive deep dive list. Christian Ast - that's a name I haven't heard in a long long time. A long time. I don't recall him being highly recruited. I did a Google and found this '94 WaPo article on him complete with Mike Brey quotes!

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.f2bbe3c62a12

    Speaking of transfers - I just found out the Martin twins (formerly of State) are doing very well at Nevada. Remember when one of those goofs wouldn't sit after he fouled out at Cameron.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Obi.

    I also omitted Michael Thompson, who transferred back home (notice a theme here?) to Northwestern. He played a half season, averaging 10 and 5 before a heart condition ended his career.

    I still would have liked to have had Thompson to throw against Emeka in the 2004 Final Four.

    Pre-Krzyzewski?

    I can only recall Bubas losing one player, a guard named Frank Harscher, who started at Georgia.

    Bucky Waters lost a bunch.

    Don Blackman started at Rhode Island.

    Blackman was Duke's first recruited African-American basketball player; C.B. Claiborne was a walk-on.

    Jeff Dawson started at Illinois.

    Richie O'Connor started at Fairfield.

    Ron Righter started at St. Joe's.

    I'm pretty sure all of these guys averaged double-figures in scoring. Righter averaged 16.1 ppg as a senior, in 1975.

    Dave Elmer (Miami, Ohio) and Jim Fitzsimmons (Harvard) were recruited players who transferred out without playing varsity ball. Fitzsimmons was All-Ivy and averaged 24.2 ppg in 1972.

    A guy named Sam May was in the class with Elmer, Righter and Chris Redding. Went home during Christmas break and never came back.

    Edgar Burch started as a freshman ahead of classmate Tate Armstrong. Flunked out and ended up somewhere in the Midwest.

    Kenny Young and Rick Gomez were in Bill Foster's first class. Gomez was not an ACC player and didn't last long.

    Young was. Barely. Played two seasons. Before his junior year, he went to Foster and demanded to start. Foster declined to bench either Tate Armstrong or Jim Spanarkel for Young. Young transferred to Bucknell, thus missing a chance to take over at point when Armstrong broke his right wrist and missing a chance to be the incumbent going into the 1977-'78 season.

    Not likely he would have stayed ahead of in-coming transfers John Harrell and Bob Bender. But you never know.

    Don't ask about Pre-Bubas.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Great list. Pre-K, Foster had a fairly highly recruited point guard leave after a year, can’t recall name; maybe a different Cook?
    Joe Cook played for K. Believe he left due to grades, not sure if played anywhere after Duke.

    http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...hp?playerid=94

    Phil Henderson did ok post-transfer -- didn't he say he was transferring to Illinois for about a month then returned to Duke?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Joe Cook played for K. Believe he left due to grades, not sure if played anywhere after Duke.

    http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...hp?playerid=94

    Phil Henderson did ok post-transfer -- didn't he say he was transferring to Illinois for about a month then returned to Duke?
    Cook did not play elsewhere.

    And Henderson did contemplate transferring to Illinois. IIRC, not all of his Duke credits would have transferred to Illinois and the plan was abandoned.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Joe Cook played for K. Believe he left due to grades, not sure if played anywhere after Duke.

    http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...hp?playerid=94

    Phil Henderson did ok post-transfer -- didn't he say he was transferring to Illinois for about a month then returned to Duke?
    Thanks to both posters; I was confusing Kenny Young with Joe Cook. In those days after Bucky, a recruit like Kenny Young got everyone excited(didn’t take much back then).

Similar Threads

  1. The Truth about Transfers and Duke
    By rocketeli in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM
  2. FB transfers to Duke
    By duketaylor in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 10:09 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 02:32 PM
  4. Ben Patrick going in 7th round; Duke FB Transfers
    By formerdukeathlete in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 01:49 PM
  5. Transfers?
    By HandofHenderson in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •