Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The comic book movie phenomenon, generally speaking, has just left me cold. I loved the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy, but other than that, I'm very "meh." Iron Man has put me to sleep more than once (including in the theater one time), I couldn't get into Avengers or X-Men, and then when people told me that Guardians of the Galaxy was kooky and offbeat and lots of fun, I spent the last hour of the film checking my watch.
    So here's my question: Which of the superhero films from the explosion of the last ~decade should I really not miss? Are there any that might have a better chance of grabbing me, or am I just not that into them? I love going to the movies, but I've thus far been unable to muster any enthusiasm for the DC and Marvel vehicles.
    "Watchmen" has been somewhat divisive, some folks like me really liked it, others not so much. But it's different from the typical Marvel film.

And "X-Men: First Class" never seems to be ranked in the top tier but it ought to be. I think that one, "Winter Soldier", and Nolan's films are my favorites in the genre. It's cold war period piece / comic book mashup.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Hmmmm, Avengers Infinity War, and Jurrasic World 2 huh? Chris Pratt looks to make a little more money this summer don't he?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The comic book movie phenomenon, generally speaking, has just left me cold. I loved the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy, but other than that, I'm very "meh." Iron Man has put me to sleep more than once (including in the theater one time), I couldn't get into Avengers or X-Men, and then when people told me that Guardians of the Galaxy was kooky and offbeat and lots of fun, I spent the last hour of the film checking my watch.
    So here's my question: Which of the superhero films from the explosion of the last ~decade should I really not miss? Are there any that might have a better chance of grabbing me, or am I just not that into them? I love going to the movies, but I've thus far been unable to muster any enthusiasm for the DC and Marvel vehicles.
    Captain America is different.
    So is Antman.
    Deadpool is my fave though.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I think that proves my point sort of. Marvel pumps those movies out as fast as they can because they know good, bad, or ugly, people are still gonna go see them. I expect the comic book genre to start to lose some of it's staying power soon too because of over saturation. Some of the titles in recent years haven't been as good as say, the first Spiderman that started the whole craze.

I guess I just thought of Star Wars as more sacred than that, since in the past, so much time, effort, and thought went into them.
    You're basing some pretty strong statements off random anecdotes. I'd say nearly every MCU movie is better than the first Spiderman, and the Disney Star Wars movies have progressively increased in quality, with Last Jedi especially having more "thought" put into it than most of the Star Wars movies.

Not gonna be bothered by the frequency of these things unless the quality takes a big hit.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Not gonna be bothered by the frequency of these things unless the quality takes a big hit.
    Great point. The Beatles pumped out album after album, and got better. Picasso pumped out painting after painting, never stayed the same, and changed the world. Stephen King's penchant for proliferation is legendary, and his writing didn't suffer. Star Wars aside and sticking with Marvel and the MCU, they are on an amazing streak. In the movie world, I think of Pixar, who seemed to take their time, and do no wrong, and then they took their time, and stubbed their toes. I'm not a superhero movie fan, but I tend to be impressed with the quality that Marvel puts out, especially in light of the quantity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The Purge 4 may get me back to the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I don’t know your tastes, but I will guess that The Dark Knight trilogy appealed to you because it broke free of the genre. They were more like vigilante crime movies that happened to have a few DC Comics characters.

If that’s true, then maybe Ant-Man is worth your time. It’s a heist comedy that happens to have a scientifically enhanced motorcycle suit. It feels only tangentially connected to the other Marvel movies.
    This right here...I think you're onto something. I couldn't quite put my own finger on an explanation; as I said, I like movies and it doesn't initially make sense that all these superhero vehicles aren't doing much for me. But your above description is the best encapsulation yet of my feelings.
    Can't spork you at the moment, but thanks for the insight and the rec. I'll check out Ant-Man the next time my wife gives me permission.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Picking the top five just got way harder!

Unfortunately, it's not a real movie. Rats. https://slate.com/culture/2018/01/so...t-trailer.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Picking the top five just got way harder!

Unfortunately, it's not a real movie. Rats. https://slate.com/culture/2018/01/so...t-trailer.html
    Tremendous cast. Seems like they got everybody that can speak Australian!

So uh, not real.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    So uh, not real.
    Yeah, that is mentioned directly below the embedded video. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    So uh, not real.
    As noted in my fine print.

They got a good start, they should just go ahead and finish it.

You can sorta tell it is fake because other than Hemsworth and McBride, all the other stars in the movie only appear alone, in isolated scenes. It is clear the commercial folks found a day when each of these folks were free and just shot a random few items with them, but the "stars" never interacted with each other.

Still, well executed and a lot of fun. I'm interested in seeing the final commercial that airs during the Super Bowl.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The trailer for Ant Man and The Wasp looks fantastic. I’m not sure if it will crack the top 5 but I think it does have a shot. I may even sneak it into my top 5....

As noted in my fine print.

They got a good start, they should just go ahead and finish it.
    Maybe we could crowd source it.

And yes it really should be made instead of <some other ill-advised movie here>.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Maybe we could crowd source it.

And yes it really should be made instead of <some other ill-advised movie here>.
    Transformers 9?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    The trailer for Ant Man and The Wasp looks fantastic. I’m not sure if it will crack the top 5 but I think it does have a shot. I may even sneak it into my top 5...
    Here are the domestic takes for all the MCU movies.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...d=avengers.htm

While Ant-Man was a surprise hit, it did only gross $180million which makes it the second lowest MCU movie (adjusted for inflation).

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Tremendous cast. Seems like they got everybody that can speak Australian!
    Epic troll! Set up for Super Bowl ad.

I've been pondering Jurassic World 2. I doubt there is a chance it is not in our top 5, but, I wonder. Jurassic World could have sucked, and it would have made oodles of money anyways. Time and anticipation does that. See Star Wars TFA. (Not saying TFA sucked, but it would have made tons even if it had.)
    So now we don't have the clamoring years long wait, and basically we once again are on an island full of dinosaurs with people in peril. (Apparently the dinos are in peril, too.) Out of curiosity, I checked the bank for Jurassic Park 2. That movie sucked, and while it made money, it suffered a big drop at the box office from the first one. A $128M drop.
    When I see the trailer for JW2, I get a big "been there, done that" feel. It's not like they have any amazing new special effects they are showing off, and I already feel bad for all the doomed and drowning dinos. Unless I hear that the reviews are awesome, I'm pretty sure I'll be watching it on my couch in the winter.
    It will be near impossible to not include as a top 5 pick, but oh it's gonna be tempting. Never know...it might get stung.

I've been pondering Jurassic World 2. I doubt there is a chance it is not in our top 5, but, I wonder. Jurassic World could have sucked, and it would have made oodles of money anyways. Time and anticipation does that. See Star Wars TFA. (Not saying TFA sucked, but it would have made tons even if it had.)
    So now we don't have the clamoring years long wait, and basically we once again are on an island full of dinosaurs with people in peril. (Apparently the dinos are in peril, too.) Out of curiosity, I checked the bank for Jurassic Park 2. That movie sucked, and while it made money, it suffered a big drop at the box office from the first one. A $128M drop.
    When I see the trailer for JW2, I get a big "been there, done that" feel. It's not like they have any amazing new special effects they are showing off, and I already feel bad for all the doomed and drowning dinos. Unless I hear that the reviews are awesome, I'm pretty sure I'll be watching it on my couch in the winter.
    It will be near impossible to not include as a top 5 pick, but oh it's gonna be tempting. Never know...it might get stung.
    I hear you. I thought Jurassic World was not going to do crazy money. With all the new GCI, dinosaurs would be passe. I was wrong. When I finally saw it the story was laughable. Didn't stop my 5 year old from wanting to watch it non-stop.

Even it does ~65% of Jurassic World (like Lost World vs Jurassic Park) it will still be around $420 million. I hear you but I would bet against that number being in the top 5
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook