Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog advice.

Dog advice.

My big lab has flipped his lid.he has become mean.nothing medically wrong with him.was well socialized.well trained.
    After a small fortune in behavior training.he bit trainer too.
    .we have to give him a shot to go see the vet.maybe one of you know something that I can try?it's crazy .he's like a different animal.id like to turn him around.but I'm afraid it's a loss.we may have to put him down.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    My big lab has flipped his lid.he has become mean.nothing medically wrong with him.was well socialized.well trained.
    After a small fortune in behavior training.he bit trainer too.
    .we have to give him a shot to go see the vet.maybe one of you know something that I can try?it's crazy .he's like a different animal.id like to turn him around.but I'm afraid it's a loss.we may have to put him down.
    Very unusual, but not unheard of, with labs*...I'd still try going to see another vet to make sure there isn't a medical reason...anything going on with him when you're not around, e.g. other dogs, kids, something that could be bugging him?

*we've got three labs now, in a long line of labs..we've seen others with problematic labs, but they generally have had issues right from the get go.
    What does the trainer think?

Definitely take him to the vet. About 10 years ago, my mom had a dog who was pretty laid back. He was about a 50-60 pound terrier-type mutt. She was staying at our house because she had cancer and needed some assistance with some horrible side effects, so naturally the dog came with her. We were getting ready for bed one night and a family member put his hands on his butt to gently move him out of his way. The dog went nuts and bit his hands and knee and broke the skin in a number of places. I took him to the vet the next day to figure out what to do. I didn't want to euthanize the dog because Mom loved him so and really needed him to get through her cancer. Turns out, he had some monster bladder stones. A little bit of emergency surgery and he felt much better. We hadn't realized how much it changed his personality, as he was back to the really sweet, loving dog. He had gradually become more aloof over the previous months, so gradually, we didn't really notice. He never again bit anyone, nor even looked like he would do anything other than lick someone to death.

A similar thing happened with our senior dog a few months ago. Sky was getting more and more lethargic, but he's 17, so what did we expect? One day (a Friday the 13th!), he suddenly became very sick. We thought it was his time. The bladder stones he had for years finally caused a blockage. I wondered about putting a 17 year old dog through surgery, but I'm glad I did. At first we didn't think he'd make it, but we changed his pain meds, and he perked right up. Now he's playing with our other young dog as if he were a much younger dog. He still can't see or hear very well at all, but his energy level is much higher. I feel bad that I listened to the vet that he didn't need anything done for them. I think he had lived with low-grade pain for a few years that we chalked up to arthritis and old age. There's no evidence of arthritis in his x-rays!

We're working with a behaviorist on our rescue pup. He was rescued from a hoarding situation and is very reactive and "fear aggressive." Whenever he's afraid, he gets his hackles up (it's like goose bumps, nothing he can control) and barks. He looks like he'll attack, but if the frightening think approaches him, he'll turn tail quickly. He's likely not a bite risk, but with behavior like that, he's quite the spectacle to take on walks or have people over. He's made a LOT of progress. He has hip dysplasia in both hips, too. We've noticed that there seems to be a correlation between how reactive he is and how high is pain level is. When we first put him on the pain meds, he was a lot less reactive. We're hoping that when he finally is able to have surgery, much of this crazy behavior will go away. He's going to the vet today to see if we're any closer to surgery, as they told me that the surgery is easier if the hips are deteriorated to a certain level. The good news is that he's fine with the dogs and people he knows and is crazy friendly with them.

So...several stories to say that we have found that pain can cause behavior changes. Good luck with your pup!

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    So...several stories to say that we have found that pain can cause behavior changes. Good luck with your pup!
    This is definitely true. A dog suddenly changing personality seems like a good candidate for hip pain or tooth pain. Please investigate these possibilities first!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This is definitely true. A dog suddenly changing personality seems like a good candidate for hip pain or tooth pain. Please investigate these possibilities first!
    The original poster did say there's nothing medically wrong with him, but I agree (as i said in my post) that another vet should be consulted, some kind of physical or mental discomfort seems to be happening

My sincere condolences.

In reading your description: "big lab," my first thought was hip problems. It is scary how well dogs can hide pain for years. I had a large Airedale that had hip issues that I still wonder if I should have recognized earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    My sincere condolences.

In reading your description: "big lab," my first thought was hip problems. It is scary how well dogs can hide pain for years. I had a large Airedale that had hip issues that I still wonder if I should have recognized earlier.
    very good point, common in many dogs, even young labs...I've had arthritic ones at age four...currently have a 14 year old with essentially none...vet should be able to diagnose this via manipulation and, if necessary, X-rays...

I'm going to take him to another vet friday.hes around 100 pounds 90in great shape.hopefully it's something they can fix.second best dog I have owned.

Sounds to me he's hurting somewhere, as mentioned above. Or, have you switched dog food lately? I know a person whose dog exhibited the same trait. She started buying food from an online pet products company (won't mention the name), and found out they were getting food that was out of date. The dog calmed down once they started going back to the food they were giving him before. Not to say that is the problem, but something is certainly going on.

second best dog I have owned.
    Weird. Each of my dogs has been the best dog I owned.

Weird. Each of my dogs has been the best dog I owned.
    Each of mine has been the best who has owned me.

No same food .he has to have grain free.

Well I had a Chesapeake at one time that just had the it factor.a little different personality.

That has to be frustrating. I agree with the others that there has to be something physically causing this. If he was a problem pup from the beginning, I'd say it's just behavioral, but the fact that he's been so good and well-trained all this time and suddenly is nipping and being aggressive should be a red flag that something is not right in his body.(IF you're sure there's no one stressing him out when you're not around. Neighborhood kids, etc.)

I grew up on a farm and have dealt with many different types of animals and personalities and I've never seen an animal just "become mean" without something causing it. Either pain in the body that we can't see, or someone or something stressing the animal out when you're not around.

Well I had a Chesapeake at one time that just had the it factor.a little different personality.
    I agree. Dogs are like children, you tell everyone you love them all the same, but everyone has a favorite deep down.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I agree. Dogs are like children, you tell everyone you love them all the same, but everyone has a favorite deep down.
    Yep. I have had six dogs that I have loved like children. Two of them are absolute hall of famers. One was an Irish Setter named Duke Reddevil, and the other is a Chocolate Lab named Norton Earl. Sometimes I swear Norton is Duke reincarnated. Smart, mischievous and loving...and that that look they give you when they are teasing you. Oh, and I don't care what anyone says, dogs absolutely do smile!

Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of your boy's issue. It really is too bad they can't talk sometimes. Getting it diagnosed is the hardest part.

I am going to give you an oddball suggestion - have you tried doggie prozac?

My friend's dog is experiencing similar issues as they've gotten older. The dog is starting to lose vision, hearing ability, etc. As this happens, some doggies can get more fearful, as they don't understand what's happening to them and it's harder for them to sense danger (and when it's okay to relax).

The dog has been on prozac for a few weeks and behavior has improved.

Good luck treating your dog!

Going to vet tomarrow.ill keep that in mind .I may need it to take him.

Please let us know. For whatever reason, I am emotionally involved in this thread.

Please let us know. For whatever reason, I am emotionally involved in this thread.
    Seconded.