Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Does anybody remember the interview from a few months ago where Williamson said that Coach K told him he envisioned using him like he used LeBron in the Olympics, all over the court with the offense running through him? At the time I wondered how that would work, and given the plethora of scoring options around him I am still curious to see how K structures this offense. I still think a lineup of Zion at the 5 surrounded by 4 shooters could be deadly (the three other freshmen plus O’Connell or Trent if he returns).

With O’Connell I think we’ll have an amazing starting 5 + 1, but much like this season there will be a really steep dropoff when we go further into the bench. Also the most obvious question will be where the leadership will come from.

But those are concerns for another day. Today we must celebrate yet another recruiting coup.

That lineup would get beat up inside. People get excited about the recruiting rankings, but their is a practical angle to all this. That team has to go up against juniors and seniors inside. I think it is pretty unrealistic to expect these freshmen wing players to rebound and defend consistently against players who will be taller and more experienced. K better hope Bolden stays and transforms himself into a quality college big man on both ends of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    That lineup would get beat up inside. People get excited about the recruiting rankings, but their is a practical angle to all this. That team has to go up against juniors and seniors inside. I think it is pretty unrealistic to expect these freshmen wing players to rebound and defend consistently against players who will be taller and more experienced. K better hope Bolden stays and transforms himself into a quality college big man on both ends of the floor.
    Unfortunately Duke will lose most everyone this year- so if you are going to have Freshman- get good ones. It will be another year of spectacular moments and frustrating lapses.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It will be another year of spectacular moments and frustrating lapses.
    Totally agree to that. I have no doubt that we will lose one or more head scratchers early in the season and fans will melt down, wondering why we still recruit one and done’s. I’ve come to expect the ups and downs within each season and will enjoy the ride.

That lineup would get beat up inside.
    It’s hard for me to imagine a 272lb dude getting beat up inside, but I get that he’s undersized in terms of guarding opposing centers. I still think we’ll see that death lineup though, with the hope of forcing opponents to adjust. We would be playing four guys who are between 6’6 - 6’8 plus Jones who is listed at 6’2, allowing us to basically switch everything on defense. It’s the type of lineup K dreams about.

1st game of the season 2018/2019 will be sweet

Duke Kentucky, can't wait for that matchup
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    Duke Kentucky, can't wait for that matchup
    Kentucky is in a tight spot recruiting now as well. Lol doesn't hurt my feelings.

I was at a wedding and didn’t find out until a friend texted me... this is absolutely shocking, and I cannot wait to completely crush UK in the champions classic next year MWAHAHA
    Last edited by kAzE; 01-21-2018 at 12:07 AM.

I hope we aren't as bad as other fan boards when we miss out on a recruit but I honestly can't remember the last time we missed on a recruit so I'm not sure .

Welcome to Duke Zion!

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I hope we aren't as bad as other fan boards when we miss out on a recruit but I honestly can't remember the last time we missed on a recruit so I'm not sure .

Welcome to Duke Zion!
    You must not have been around for the Harrison Barnes decision.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I hope we aren't as bad as other fan boards when we miss out on a recruit but I honestly can't remember the last time we missed on a recruit so I'm not sure !
    Kevin Knox, last year.

I went to the UNC message boards and chuckled. Saw someone went to the UK message boards and saw the same. Went to the Clemson message boards and wow...they were so...polite. Like disappointed but effusive in wishing him the best. Much respect Clemson fans.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

I was playing a war game online (yes, very highbrow), so I totally missed this spectacular news.

Welcome, Indeed. Looking forward to seeing you play and grow at Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Some teams just go to McDonald's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    If they let PJ Hairston pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Or Sean May.
    Hairston goes to McDonald's to eat.

Sean May eats McDonald's.

Zion comes to the promised land. Welcome!

Let me get this straight, there are 3 recruits at the very top of the class, a step or two above the rest, and all three are coming to Duke? With a top 10 recruit, #1 PG, who has been steadily marching up the rankings?

Sounds like a pretty good recruiting class.

It is being said that no school has ever (in modern era) landed the top 3 recruits.

I'm totally shocked in a good way that is.
    I didn't see that coming at all.
    Welcome to the brotherhood at Duke Zion.

That lineup would get beat up inside...
    I agree that playing Zion at center probably won't work against elite teams.

DeLaurier will be back. Bolden will probably be back. And Vrank (or maybe Robinson) may be ready to pull a Plumlee or Zoubek and come into his own. These guys won't be Carter/Bagley, but they'll be as good as most post players they'll face. If they combine for a reasonable interior presence, it's safe to say that we should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I agree that playing Zion at center probably won't work against elite teams.

DeLaurier will be back. Bolden will probably be back. And Vrank (or maybe Robinson) may be ready to pull a Plumlee or Zoubek and come into his own. These guys won't be Carter/Bagley, but they'll be as good as most post players they'll face. If they combine for a reasonable interior presence, it's safe to say that we should be okay.
    The kid is impressively strong, takes up a lot of space and has an explosive jump. I imagine he can hold his own down low. Not sure how many elite bigs are out there anyway. That said Duke can play Javin down low with those wings. It will be a fun, alarmingly athletic team to watch.

Barrett is going to be a matchup nightmare for whoever we play. He's more of a SF/PF hybrid imo. He's versatile to say the least. Zion kind of reminds me of Justice Winslow, but with the physique of an Elton Brand. Very athletic as well, but not a mid range threat. Reddish is a forward with guard skills. He can shoot. Add Mr. Jones to the mix to run the point, along with either Alex OConnell or Gary Trent as your shooting guard and we spread the floor. It will be a different look for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    You must not have been around for the Harrison Barnes decision.
    The announcement by Harrison Barnes was painful and memorable.

That was in Nov 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeandMdFan View Post
    The announcement by Harrison Barnes was painful and memorable.

That was in Nov 2009.
    Has it ended yet?

Javin and Bolden become important recruits now...we'll need their size and experience...