Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Color me equally confused. Bolden and Vrankovic are the only natural centers on next year's team and Vrankovic isn't going to start. Bolden should start alongside Williamson, Barrett, Reddish, and Jones on a title-caliber team, while getting closer to a Duke degree and hopefully an NBA future.

So, why would he transfer and sit out a season at a lesser school?
    Assuming he is pleased with his development at Duke this year, he wouldn't. But stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Assuming he is pleased with his development at Duke this year, he wouldn't. But stranger things have happened.
    But why assume facts not otherwise in evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Color me equally confused. Bolden and Vrankovic are the only natural centers on next year's team and Vrankovic isn't going to start. Bolden should start alongside Williamson, Barrett, Reddish, and Jones on a title-caliber team, while getting closer to a Duke degree and hopefully an NBA future.

So, why would he transfer and sit out a season at a lesser school?
    Because he knows he's not going to be getting touches unless he rebounds them, that's why. He's going to be the 5th or 6th offensive option on that team. DeLaurier will almost certainly surpass him as an option. Look, I want Marques to succeed very badly, but we're not exactly going to be running plays for him the way we ran them for say, Okafor. He's going to be there to rebound and protect the rim. He may want more than that.

I would love for him to stay and become an integral part of a championship team next year, but I can certainly see why he'd want to transfer and start fresh elsewhere. Further, there's talk of removing the one-year transfer rule, so that may certainly have an impact on his decision.

I actually think if Bolden were to leave Duke, it's much more likely he'd just go pro rather than transfer. He can try to make a name for himself at the combine with his incredible measurables and possibly get drafted in the 2nd round based on potential alone. And right now, we don't really have a complete picture, since he's going to return and play this year. Perhaps a couple of big games in the postseason will help his draft stock.

If Marshall Plumlee is an NBA player, Marques Bolden is certainly one. You can have positionless basketball all you want, but elite size will always be desired in the NBA.
    Last edited by kAzE; 01-23-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    Because he knows he's not going to be getting touches unless he rebounds them, that's why. He's going to be the 5th or 6th offensive option on that team. DeLaurier will almost certainly surpass him as an option. Look, I want Marques to succeed very badly, but we're not exactly going to be running plays for him the way we ran them for say, Okafor. He's going to be there to rebound and protect the rim. He may want more than that.

I would love for him to stay and become an integral part of a championship team next year, but I can certainly see why he'd want to transfer and start fresh elsewhere. Further, there's talk of removing the one-year transfer rule, so that may certainly have an impact on his decision.
    again, enough withe speculation. Until you hear something from Bolden there is no reason to assume any of the things you're assuming.
    DBR has a policy against rumor mongering, and this seems like rumor mongering to me.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think Marques witnessing first-hand the success of Wendell and Marvin helps Duke a lot in this regard. If his only experience with Duke were his freshman season (when both he and Harry struggled), we'd be on shakier ground. But now he knows that big men can have terrific success in Duke's system, and it's up to him to raise his level of play.

While Marques transferring does not violate any law of physics and thus is technically possible, it doesn't make sense to me that he would wait out Jefferson, Giles, Carter, and Bagley all leaving Duke and then when the post is wide open for him, he decides to leave. Would his parents want him to spend two years waiting out those guys and then leave when opportunity is knocking? I just have a hard time seeing it.

Rim-protecting, rebounding, setting screens for guards and then rolling to the basket are how almost every NBA center makes a living. Next season he would be playing the exact role he would play in the NBA. The perfect audition.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think Marques witnessing first-hand the success of Wendell and Marvin helps Duke a lot in this regard. If his only experience with Duke were his freshman season (when both he and Harry struggled), we'd be on shakier ground. But now he knows that big men can have terrific success in Duke's system, and it's up to him to raise his level of play.

While Marques transferring does not violate any law of physics and thus is technically possible, it doesn't make sense to me that he would wait out Jefferson, Giles, Carter, and Bagley all leaving Duke and then when the post is wide open for him, he decides to leave. Would his parents want him to spend two years waiting out those guys and then leave when opportunity is knocking? I just have a hard time seeing it.
    We don't know that and this is pure speculation. The only thing I know is Duke will start 4 freshman. But Trent may come back and that pushes Zion to the 5. Or DeLaurier could start at the 5 (or at the 4 and maybe Zion goes to the 5) with Marques coming off the bench. Or Duke could get a grad transfer.

I think it's just as nonsensical to think Marques will stay as it is to think he'll transfer. I wouldn't be surprised by anything that Marques goes. To me, he's the biggest enigma on the team (in terms of long-term decision making, talent, fit, etc). I will say one thing: I'd be less surprised if Marques left the program at the end of this year than when Frank Jackson left the program for the NBA.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    We don't know that and this is pure speculation. The only thing I know is Duke will start 4 freshman. But Trent may come back and that pushes Zion to the 5. Or DeLaurier could start at the 5 (or at the 4 and maybe Zion goes to the 5) with Marques coming off the bench. Or Duke could get a grad transfer.

I think it's just as nonsensical to think Marques will stay as it is to think he'll transfer. I wouldn't be surprised by anything that Marques goes. To me, he's the biggest enigma on the team (in terms of long-term decision making, talent, fit, etc). I will say one thing: I'd be less surprised if Marques left the program at the end of this year than when Frank Jackson left the program for the NBA.
    No, it's not speculation. I have more info than you do.

For one thing, let's see Coach K take ONE grad transfer in his career before we continue to speculate every season that it's a possibility.

Trent is gone.

Yes, Marques would have to beat out Javin at the 5, but that's much more palatable than the crowded situations he was in the past two seasons. Duke will not promise a starting spot, just a great opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    again, enough withe speculation. Until you hear something from Bolden there is no reason to assume any of the things you're assuming.
    DBR has a policy against rumor mongering, and this seems like rumor mongering to me.
    Just because you don't pay attention to other sources doesn't mean the discussion of information mentioned by those sources is rumor mongering.

I'm not saying Bolden is transferring. I'm simply noting our recruiting efforts may be well spent on him at this point, in case he is considering such a transfer. There was concern last year. I do think he's well-positioned to start next year, but I note he may want more out of playing at Duke than what is likely available in terms of touches next year.

No, it's not speculation. I have more info than you do.

For one thing, let's see Coach K take ONE grad transfer in his career before we continue to speculate every season that it's a possibility.

Trent is gone.

Yes, Marques would have to beat out Javin at the 5, but that's much more palatable than the crowded situations he was in the past two seasons. Duke will not promise a starting spot, just a great opportunity.
    Actually, "Trent is gone" is pure speculation. Unless you know more than every single draft expert out there. Cus if he is gone, he'd be at least a second rounder. And I'm not seeing Trent's name anywhere.

And in full disclosure, I too think Trent is gone. But I'm not guaranteeing it.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Just because you don't pay attention to other sources doesn't mean the discussion of information mentioned by those sources is rumor mongering.

I'm not saying Bolden is transferring. I'm simply noting our recruiting efforts may be well spent on him at this point, in case he is considering such a transfer. There was concern last year. I do think he's well-positioned to start next year, but I note he may want more out of playing at Duke than what is likely available in terms of touches next year.
    Nicely summarized, sir (which is why I made my original point about the importance of "recruiting" Bolden.) A very good start (IMO) would be for him to get well and then
    make some nice progress this year. I suspect we are all (or should be) pulling for him to be well and prosper.

present those sources then.
    The bolded part is EXACTLY the speculation that i am talking about. If you have a source claiming he is considering a transfer then present it, otherwise it's speculative at best, rumor mongering at worst.

I think Bolden will be VERY happy being the big man on next year's team....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    If Marshall Plumlee is an NBA player, Marques Bolden is certainly one.
    Sure, but does Marques have the same stroke as Marshall "All-time leader in 3pt field goal percentage in Duke History" Plumlee?

Actually, "Trent is gone" is pure speculation. Unless you know more than every single draft expert out there. Cus if he is gone, he'd be at least a second rounder. And I'm not seeing Trent's name anywhere.

And in full disclosure, I too think Trent is gone. But I'm not guaranteeing it.
    Nope, still not "pure speculation," at least how I understand the meaning of those words. I'll admit and have admitted that it's scientifically possible (i.e. possible) for Bolden to transfer or for Trent to be here next year. But, just because something isn't a 100% lock doesn't mean it's pure speculation or that alternative options have just as good a chance of occurring.

Nope, still not "pure speculation," at least how I understand the meaning of those words. I'll admit and have admitted that it's scientifically possible (i.e. possible) for Bolden to transfer or for Trent to be here next year. But, just because something isn't a 100% lock doesn't mean it's pure speculation or that alternative options have just as good a chance of occurring.
    Can you please provide the source to Trent declaring? I'm just curious. Most of what I've read has Bagley, Carter, and Duval as surefire OADs with Trent going either way (depending on the analyst).

If you're banking on "Trent is a top 14 player so that means he's OAD", I'd point you to Bolden, who was ranked 11 in 2016 (all RSCI).

Not to swerve off topic, but I think we landed like a really great kid named Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not to swerve off topic, but I think we landed like a really great kid named Zion.
    That is a good point. Here's my contribution to that thought process.

Not only did we land a great kid, but I believe Zion made a great choice in choosing Duke for his one year of development in college. Almost every writeup of Zion will point out that his biggest weakness heading into college is his outside shooting. Well, I can't think of a better staff to work with him on that weakness than Duke's.

Check out this ESPN article about this season's freshmen and their shooting percentages prior to Duke:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe every single player on that list has a better 3-pt shooting pct at Duke

That is a good point. Here's my contribution to that thought process.

Not only did we land a great kid, but I believe Zion made a great choice in choosing Duke for his one year of development in college. Almost every writeup of Zion will point out that his biggest weakness heading into college is his outside shooting. Well, I can't think of a better staff to work with him on that weakness than Duke's.

Check out this ESPN article about this season's freshmen and their shooting percentages prior to Duke:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe every single player on that list has a better 3-pt shooting pct at Duke
    yup, J-Gold and Trevon are both not much improved from those numbers, but a bit better. Marvin, Wendell, Gary and Alex are all shooting at least 10% better, with Marvin and Alex shooting +/-20% better. pretty solid improvements.
    Seems like a pretty common thread is emerging in our recruiting, that recruits are realizing that in one year with K they can improve an area of weakness and become lottery draft picks. Glad Zion is smart enough to know what his weakness is/are and that he wants to improve in that area/s.

Can you please provide the source to Trent declaring? I'm just curious. Most of what I've read has Bagley, Carter, and Duval as surefire OADs with Trent going either way (depending on the analyst).

If you're banking on "Trent is a top 14 player so that means he's OAD", I'd point you to Bolden, who was ranked 11 in 2016 (all RSCI).
    Trent will be back. As for Bolden not close to pro,prospect now .