Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I was distracted by Woody Harrelson playing what, essentially, is the same character as look-alike Michael Rooker in Guardians of the Galaxy (Yondu).

At least, they looked a heck of a lot alike to me.
    Ummmm... one was blue with a red plastic hairpiece. The other was human skin colored with somewhat regular hair. Aside from the scruff on their chins, I'm not seeing it at all.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ummmm... one was blue with a red plastic hairpiece. The other was human skin colored with somewhat regular hair. Aside from the scruff on their chins, I'm not seeing it at all.

The blue guy looks like Woody Harrelson to me.

And, it's essentially the same character.

Some background on the returning character who appeared at the end of the film and how he got there:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...ing-explained/

Spoilers, obviously.

Just saying:

alllooksame.com

I’m sorry. I guess I’m just a simpleton. I LOVED Solo. I’ve been a Star Wars fan since I saw ANH at age 3 in 1978. First memory I have as a kid. I usually rate them by how much fun I had watching, and I’d put Solo in my top 3-4 SW movies, right around Rogue One and ROTJ. I loved Chewie and Han meeting, Chewie ripping the arms off, okay, pretty much every Chewie scene, every scene with Lando, Beckett’s character, and on and on. Was it perfect? No, but neither were the rest. It was a TON of fun though.

My wife, three kids, and Dad loved it too.

Is it just me, or did Dryden Vos’s scars and eyes get red when he got mad?
    Last edited by bjornolf; 06-17-2018 at 03:49 PM.

I agree with luburch. I think she’s gonna break Han in the next movie and turn him into the guy who only cares about himself... and maybe Chewie.

I also had a higher opinion of the movie compared to others in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I agree with luburch. I think she’s gonna break Han in the next movie and turn him into the guy who only cares about himself... and maybe Chewie.
    Finally saw Solo today.

Thought it was ok, not great.

Hoping you are incorrect and there are no sequels.

The Kessel run part felt like “real” Star Wars, and we get another Han shot first.

Meeting Chewie was good, also.

I watched pretty much all the Star Wars cartoons, and the Darth Maul appearance was a big “what the heck”?

Thandie Newton is a great actress- wish her character had survived longer.

Maybe a solid 7/10. A fun watch that was more of an empty snack than a filling meal.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    There's not supposed be a sequel to Solo.

Which is why the ending leaving so much up in the air was troubling to me. It sure seemed like it was setting up a next episode.

There may be as many as nine Star Wars movies in development

I guess this shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqRjpp1LPe8

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Solo is out on Netflix now, so I finally watched it. I was not optimistic, but I really thought it was a totally fun movie, and I was fine with Ehrenreich's performance. After reading all the bad reviews on him, I was expecting Hayden Christensen bad.

I agree with JH's note that Val was a waste of film. Having her in there just to blow up without having any impact on the film up to that point was goofy. Self sacrifice can only make an impact if the audience cares, and in her short time there was nothing to care about.

I LOVED Maul's cameo. It is very doubtful that we see him much more in live action, and I can totally see the casual Star Wars fan wondering "Huh? Dude's been way dead", but Clone Wars and Rebels both did a great job of giving him new life, both literally and figuratively. He was one of the most interesting characters on those shows, which is an irony given that in Phantom Menace he was actually one of the weakest. Beyond looking scary, he didn't make much of an impact in that wreck of a movie.

The only thing I really didn't like was that the movie does leave a lot of unanswered questions, and knowing that they aren't likely to ever answer any is a bummer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Solo is out on Netflix now, so I finally watched it. I was not optimistic, but I really thought it was a totally fun movie, and I was fine with Ehrenreich's performance. After reading all the bad reviews on him, I was expecting Hayden Christensen bad.

I agree with JH's note that Val was a waste of film. Having her in there just to blow up without having any impact on the film up to that point was goofy. Self sacrifice can only make an impact if the audience cares, and in her short time there was nothing to care about.

I LOVED Maul's cameo. It is very doubtful that we see him much more in live action, and I can totally see the casual Star Wars fan wondering "Huh? Dude's been way dead", but Clone Wars and Rebels both did a great job of giving him new life, both literally and figuratively. He was one of the most interesting characters on those shows, which is an irony given that in Phantom Menace he was actually one of the weakest. Beyond looking scary, he didn't make much of an impact in that wreck of a movie.

The only thing I really didn't like was that the movie does leave a lot of unanswered questions, and knowing that they aren't likely to ever answer any is a bummer.

Just finished watching it myself, with the same low expectations. I actually really enjoyed it. Donald Glover was great as Lando, and I thought the whole thing was pretty good. I kind of wish I had gone to see it in theaters now, to be honest. I think it might actually be my fourth favorite Star Wars film, fifth at worst. I agree that Val's self sacrifice was pretty uninteresting, but it didn't really bother me, it was just very "meh, why?" to me.

The only complaint I could give is that I don't think there was any need to change The Maw from being a cluster of black holes (how it was originally presented in the EU) to being a single black hole. True enough to the source material that I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but after throwing out so much of the EU stuff at least give me my cluster of black holes!

As far as the unanswered questions, I feel fairly certain we'll get answers. Nest, Qi'ra, and Maul (at least in a limited capacity) will almost certainly reappear to play significant roles in something. Whether its a full length movie, a series like Rebels/Clone Wars, or something else I can't say but we'll be seeing them again.

Speaking of Rebels and Clone Wars...I really need to give those a shot. I've tried a couple times and just can't get into either for some reason.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Speaking of Rebels and Clone Wars...I really need to give those a shot. I've tried a couple times and just can't get into either for some reason.
    I'd suggest doing it. CW unfortunately got cancelled early, and the story had a rushed ending, but thankfully they are briefly bringing it back later this year to give a deserved resolution.
    The series is WAY better than the prequel movies. Rebels is a great story focusing on a whole new set of characters, although it is dotted with familiar names now and then. It finished it's run last year, and the ending was perfect. The last season of Rebels is some of the best story telling in the Star Wars canon.
    Both are great for binging.

Currently I'm tuned into Star Wars Resistance, which is a story leading into the events that make up The Force Awakens. Poe Dameron makes occasional appearances, and BB-8 is a major character, doing what BB-8 does. It is done differently, in a distinct anime style. I was not thrilled with it out of the box, but it is getting better and more engaging as the season progresses. It has already been renewed for a second run.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'd suggest doing it. CW unfortunately got cancelled early, and the story had a rushed ending, but thankfully they are briefly bringing it back later this year to give a deserved resolution.
    The series is WAY better than the prequel movies. Rebels is a great story focusing on a whole new set of characters, although it is dotted with familiar names now and then. It finished it's run last year, and the ending was perfect.
    Both are great for binging.

Currently I'm tuned into Star Wars Resistance, which is a story leading into the events that make up The Force Awakens. Poe Dameron makes occasional appearances, and BB-8 is a major character, doing what BB-8 does. It is done differently, in a distinct anime style. I was not thrilled with it out of the box, but it is getting better and more engaging as the season progresses. It has already been renewed for a second run.
    It didn't take long...just started it and already enjoying it. I don't love the animation style which I think is part of it why I didn't get sucked in the first time around. I think the other part is that I originally tried to watch the Clone Wars shortly after seeing (and being very disappointed with) Last Jedi, so I just wasn't in a good, receptive state for new Star Wars material.

I'll give Rebels and Resistance a spin eventually, although I'll have to find a source for them since they aren't on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'll give Rebels and Resistance a spin eventually, although I'll have to find a source for them since they aren't on Netflix.
    Both are on the Disney XD app. If you get Disney on your cable/dish, or in my case, DirectvNOW, you login with those credentials.
    Get through Clone Wars first though. The respite coming later this year supposedly leads directly into Revenge of the Sith.

I'll add another voice to those that watched it and liked it. Not the best ever, but in the middle of the Star Wars series...

Having passed on Solo in the theaters due to poor reviews, the family and I watched it on Netflix the other night and we really enjoyed it. It's really sad that Solo and Rogue One were so much better than the recent main story movies.

In fact my wife who isn't a big fan of the franchise asked if there would be a follow-up, which goes to show how much she enjoyed this movie.

I was shocked by the appearance of Darth Maul, but then when I saw people talking about the tie in with the cartoons it made sense. I wasn't a fan of Lando and his droid and like many other people who've commented about her on other sites, didn't mind when she got wasted.

Honestly, I spend more time watching Netflix than regular cable TV. They've got Season 2 of "The Punisher" starting on Friday and later this month they got an interesting Netflix movie titled, "Polar", and to cap off the month they have "Ant-Man and The Wasp."

I posted up thread when I watched Solo in the theatre. Enjoyable entertainment.

I watched Solo again today on Netflix.
    Surprisingly not rewatchable. I had thought the movie was pretty well done, it just didn’t really hold my attention the second time around.

Bring on the Lando movie!