Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I’m not sure I’ve ever been more conflicted about a movie.

On one hand, its Star Wars.

On the other hand, I am highly skeptical.

When I watched the trailer with my wife, her only comment was “he’s not handsome enough to be Han Solo.”

There you have it.

However, I am all about Donald Glover/Childish Gambino as Lando.
    Seems like a gold mine of potential.

Mrs. Pie watched the trailer and just said "nope"...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Does he make the Kessel run in the movie? I'm not seeing it if he doesn't.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Does he make the Kessel run in the movie? I'm not seeing it if he doesn't.
    Yes, supposedly the Kessel run is part of this movie. I'm sure Disney is taking every aspect of Han's character that was even offhandedly mentioned in the original movies and turning it into key plot points in this film... ugh.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yes, supposedly the Kessel run is part of this movie. I'm sure Disney is taking every aspect of Han's character that was even offhandedly mentioned in the original movies and turning it into key plot points in this film... ugh.
    Yeah, I'm in this camp. Seems corny to fit some of this into the back story; we know he did it so what good is adding it besides an inside joke?

The more I consider this film, the more I am concerned that it may hit Jar Jar levels of bad.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yeah, I'm in this camp. Seems corny to fit some of this into the back story; we know he did it so what good is adding it besides an inside joke?

The more I consider this film, the more I am concerned that it may hit Jar Jar levels of bad.
    If you could bet in Vegas on the Kessel Run being in this film you should clear out your bank account and bet yes.

I agree with most comments here - I'm just not sure this was a story that needed to be told. We already know literally almost everything that happens with the main characters life after this movie.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm also not seeing it if it doesn't have some nerf herding.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    I agree with most comments here - I'm just not sure this was a story that needed to be told. We already know literally almost everything that happens with the main characters life after this movie.
    Every perilous scene, you can be pretty sure that he and Chewie (and Lando) survive.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I just wanna see if Han has ever witnessed a tauntaun freezing.

You can still have dramatic tension even if you know how things end. Every time I see a replay of Hayward’s last second shot attempt, I am convinced it is going in. I can never relax until it safely bounces off the rim.

Something tells me that this movie wasn’t up to the challenge, though.
    Carolina delenda est

Every perilous scene, you can be pretty sure that he and Chewie (and Lando) survive.
    A nice twist might be to introduce us to Han and a Wookie, but we never learn the wookie's name. That wookie dies and THEN Han meets Chewie. Would that be a fun plot twist, or just annoying?

Of course, this is true for a whole lot of characters in TV shows and movies, even in cases where their future is not already established, so I'm not necessarily sure it is a problem. The approach they take to the film stylistically and the quality of the film (acting, storyline, etc.) are more serious and likely problems.

A heist/thriller with a lot of dry humor would have been a nice direction.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    A nice twist might be to introduce us to Han and a Wookie, but we never learn the wookie's name. That wookie dies and THEN Han meets Chewie. Would that be a fun plot twist, or just annoying?
    Probably annoying, but my already low bar for the interim filler movies (I look forward to all of them but set my expectations low) was further lowered in December.

I guess the two guys I would pick are too old...
    Ben McKenzie or James Franco.
    I think they both have the looks and the chops. Makeup CAN do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Who would have been the ideal casting for young Han?
    Impossible. What's appealing about Han Solo, to men or women, is not generally found in youth. The breakdown might go like this:

70% Harrison Ford (cowboy/carpenter/Hollywood outsider/Indiana Jones by association)
    8% Scoundrel with a tinge of honor and loyalty
    7% Sense of humor
    5% Romantic
    3% Independent from the Empire and the Rebellion
    2% The outfits
    2% Millennium Falcon
    1% Cool points from Lando Calrissian (who looks less honorable in comparison)
    1% Lack of choice when you meet him (he's not the boy, or the old man, or the Wookiee)
    1% Shooting first, I guess

Harrison Ford was 35 when the first movie was released, and he's playing someone who's probably in his early 30s (at least 10 years older than Luke and Leia). So a prequel movie might focus on his early 20s, which means you need someone who looks that young.

Nobody's mentioned Anthony Ingruber in this thread, the novelty act who looks and sounds like a young Harrison Ford. He plays the younger version of Ford's character for a few flashback scenes in The Age of Adaline:

You can see (and especially hear) why the gimmick was worth trying, but it wouldn't sustain itself for an entire Han Solo movie. It would feel unnatural and too similar to Harrison Ford.

Harrison Ford is the character. It’s like asking who could play a young Jack Sparrow for an entire movie.

Especially since Harrison Justin played the role again less than 30 months ago.

Whew!

We've got nothing to worry about. This flick is going to be awesome! I just found out that George Lucas directed a scene in the film. Thank goodness! He couldn't possibly screw anything up with Star Wars!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Whew!

We've got nothing to worry about. This flick is going to be awesome! I just found out that George Lucas directed a scene in the film. Thank goodness! He couldn't possibly screw anything up with Star Wars!
    “When Solo Met Jar-Jar”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “When Solo Met Jar-Jar”
    By the Great Tree of Coruscant: shoot first Han. SHOOT FIRST!

A really interesting read on Ron Howard getting involved, the changing of directors, and whatnot:

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/09/ron-...ar-wars-story/

This seems to suggest that Lucas only gave an idea while a scene was shooting, not that he directed a scene.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 02-11-2018 at 07:38 AM.

So it sounds like H. Ford was an advisor to the newb.
    https://www.wired.com/story/cantina-talk-53/

Know who I want to see show up in Solo? This guy!

Hondo_Ohnaka.jpg

Hondo Ohnaka is as shifty as a self-serving space pirate can be, and would easily keep the same company as Han and Lando. All three know the best hives of scum and villainy! Even if just a cameo somewhere, he needs to make an appearance.