Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Pitt (Sat, 1/20, 4pm, ACC Network) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Duke hosts Pitt on Saturday. The ESPN says it's at 4pm, and will be shown on the ACC Network.
    It's probably time to stop talking about the Miami game, since that thread no longer is talking about that game.
    Personally, i think Duke is gonna crush Pitt. Maybe by a million.

Wink

By what margin must we win and to how many points must we hold them for people not to complain our inevitable victory on Saturday?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Good question

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    By what margin must we win and to how many points must we hold them for people not to complain our inevitable victory on Saturday?
    A margin of infinity?

I will be happy with any Duke win that does not involve a Duke come back late in the 2nd half. Some time for the Duke walk-ons with 5 or so minutes left would also be great.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    A margin of infinity?
    And beyond.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

List of TV stations and free, unrestricted stream:
    http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/9/a...bb-180120.aspx

Blackout Map:

Black:
    -On TV via station from list linked above
    -Online via link posted above

Green:
    -On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 790, AT&T U-Verse 616, Verizon FIOS 823)
    -Online via ACC Network Extra section of WatchESPN

Other than a win, all I want is Allen to find his outside shot

At this point, a loss to Pitt requires some new category worse than a "bad loss."

No ACC school should lose to Pitt regardless of venue or circumstance.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    G-Man, on the State-Wake game, mentioned that Dick Groat, radio analyst for Pitt who at 87 typically does not travel to away games, will be at the game on Saturday, and will be honored at halftime.

I would like for the Crazies to remember the Pitt student chants of "overrated" and "Bagley sucks". A dose of reality would be nice !

Just What I Needed

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    List of TV stations and free, unrestricted stream:
    http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/9/a...bb-180120.aspx

Blackout Map:

Black:

Green:
    -On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 790, AT&T U-Verse 616, Verizon FIOS 823)
    -Online via ACC Network Extra section of WatchESPN

Was trying to figure out if I need to schedule Saturday's activities in time to be home by 4:00. Thanks a bunch Awhom. Truly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I would like for the Crazies to remember the Pitt student chants of "overrated" and "Bagley sucks". A dose of reality would be nice !
    Maybe the Crazies can chant "over-rated" towards Pitt...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    or maybe we should chant "condolences"
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    G-Man, on the State-Wake game, mentioned that Dick Groat, radio analyst for Pitt who at 87 typically does not travel to away games, will be at the game on Saturday, and will be honored at halftime.
    I wish I could be in the arena to honor Dick Groat this weekend. I grew up in awe of the man who wore the retired jersey, #10, folded and displayed under glass in a picture frame in the lobby of Cameron.
    I marveled at how small Groat must have been (it took some time before I realized the jersey was folded)

My father spoke of him and his hardwood exploits in mythical terms. He must have seemed a transcendent player in his time. Very few of the attendees this Saturday will have remembered seeing him play in Cameron. Frankly very few will recall any film.

I have noticed when former players are introduced in Cameron, the cheers seem louder for the recent players, perhaps understandably.
    I hope Dick Groat is received with the respect and honor he deserves. He is a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    This will be an interesting game because I am not sure how the players will approach it. It is most important that Grayson get going again and that the unforced/bad pass turnovers be reduced. The rest should take care of itself. But with Freshman anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I'd suggest "correctly rated" if we're up by 30 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I'd suggest "correctly rated" if we're up by 30 or more.
    What about: RATED------UNRATED

Keys to the Game

I'm just kidding, there are no keys to this game. When Duke faced off against Pitt on January 10th, they were coming off an embarrassing loss to NC State. They asserted renewed interest in defense and blew out the home team by 35 points. Duke now looks poised to climb in the rankings as they have won 3 in a row after the stirring comeback at Miami on Monday. Rested, ready to further refine the defense, and preparing for a showdown against #2 Virginia in a week, Duke will look to work out a few kinks.

• Grayson Allen, where has your shot gone?
    • Get healthy, stay healthy
    • Don't even think about it

Grayson Allen, where has your shot gone? After starting the season on a hot streak, the senior guard has gone cold from deep. He's an ice-cold 8-41 (19.5%) in his conference games and hasn't looked right since a 22-point scoring effort in a home win against Florida State. He's snapped out of his shooting slumps before, including this season. In the four games leading up to the PK80 Championship game against Florida, Allen shot 4-23 from 3. In the next 4 games, he shot better than 57% from beyond the arc. He can get out of this. Now would be a good time to start feeling confident again.

Get healthy, stay healthy. Players get injured throughout the season. Marvin Bagley III had to reinsert his shoulder during the Miami game (and still managed a double-double). Javin DeLaurier and Marques Bolden have been struggling with leg injuries. We will need the three big men to return to form before long. Let's hope they feel loose and limber for the game on Saturday and beyond.

Don't even think about it. This is not a game to overlook, but allowing Pitt to think they have a chance in this game would be bad form. Shut the door early. Build a big lead. By the end of the first 10 minutes, Duke should have a 15-point advantage. By the end of the 1st half, the game should be over. This is not a team that should think they have a chance after the opening tip. They have lost the last 6 games by an average margin of almost 20 points per game. The second half should be boring but for the occasional dunk or Justin Robinson chase down block. I want to see Mike Buckmire cross a guy up and lay it in. Make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I have to say, fans chanting "overrated" while their team was down 21 points was definitely a new one for me. Seemed like it would have been more demoralizing for Pitt than Duke.

As others have said, hoping for a chance for Grayson to work his way out of his shooting slump and for no injuries.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that you guys beat Pitt by more than the 35 you did last time. I'm sure that in the 10 days since you played Pitt, they have really had a chance to improve their game and come together as a team to be able to handle the loving embrace of Cameroon Indoor Stadium. Because who doesn't enjoy playing the same team in back to back weeks?

It's not as if you guys turn around and travel to Wake after this game.