I am sure many of you feed the birds in winter, as they need the extra energy the food gives them. Here are a few tips on what to feed them.
First, black oil sunflower seed (the small black sunflower seed). Most birds love it, from finches and cardinals to blue jays, woodpeckers, titmice and chickadees.
Second, nyger, aka thistle seed, is a favorite of goldfinches and pine siskins. The various blends of seeds are not really that good, as most of the contents are millet and milo, and wind up on the ground, as the birds kick it out to get to the few sunflower seeds contained therein. I do keep some around to toss on the ground for doves, sparrows and juncos, as they will eat it.
Cardinals also like safflower seed, but I rarely use it because they are the only birds that eat it, and they like sunflower seed better.
Suet is a high energy food that many birds relish, so always keep a cake or two around.
Be sure not to place feeders near ground cover, as predators like house cats will use this cover to get close enough to snatch a bird.