Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Court Storming about to be in focus again

Punches thrown after Texas Tech - West Virginia game. Fans stormed the court and tempers flared. While the player should have controlled his emotions, getting his personal space crowded at the end of a high profile game makes his actions understandable. And avoidable.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...i1jyzgu04jf4cl
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Honestly surprised it hasn't happened more often.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Punches thrown after Texas Tech - West Virginia game. Fans stormed the court and tempers flared. While the player should have controlled his emotions, getting his personal space crowded at the end of a high profile game makes his actions understandable. And avoidable.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...i1jyzgu04jf4cl
    To be clear, the player should not be forgiven for this. He (it appears to be WVA player #21 Wesley Harris) needs to be able to keep his emotions under control. This also does not appear to be a fan who was in his face, taunting him. The fan is rushing to join the mass of excited fans on the court and appears to bump into Harris while doing this. Harris flips out at being (apparently) accidentally bumped and punches the fan.

All that said, this kind of thing could be prevented with better security allowing players to exit the court without coming into contact with fans. I want fans to have the opportunity to celebrate together, but this kind of thing is going to happen again and again if rules are not changed.

-Jason "I am no legal expert, but it feels like this is a legit case of assault if the fan wants to press charges" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well, just one punch actually.

But the player wasn't being mobbed or protecting his space. He and the fan just bumped shoulders as they were walking past each other. It's the sort of thing that happens in public every day.

Court-storming seems lame when it's two top-10 teams. But that player really badly over-reacted.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    To be clear, the player should not be forgiven for this. He (it appears to be WVA player #21 Wesley Harris) needs to be able to keep his emotions under control. This also does not appear to be a fan who was in his face, taunting him. The fan is rushing to join the mass of excited fans on the court and appears to bump into Harris while doing this. Harris flips out at being (apparently) accidentally bumped and punches the fan.

All that said, this kind of thing could be prevented with better security allowing players to exit the court without coming into contact with fans.
    I want fans to have the opportunity to celebrate together, but this kind of thing is going to happen again and again if rules are not changed.

-Jason "I am no legal expert, but it feels like this is a legit case of assault if the fan wants to press charges" Evans
    That's exactly it. cameron protocol is to take almost every game day staff person in the building and form a wall between the benches and the rest of the court. There are not near enough staff in that video to ensure separation.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

All that said, this kind of thing could be prevented with better security allowing players to exit the court without coming into contact with fans. I want fans to have the opportunity to celebrate together, but this kind of thing is going to happen again and again if rules are not changed.

To be fair, we don't know how much taunting, or what was being said, that led to the punch. It could have just been a "yeah, we won, you suck!" type of thing.

The WVU player is definitely in the wrong. We just don't know how much the fan is also in the wrong.

But yes, security HAS to be better in situations like this. Whether it be holding fans back until AFTER the other team has had a chance to clear the floor before storming it, or making a huge barricade for the opposing players to get out safely and without any interference, something has to be done. The security in that setting was woefully insufficient.

Shouldn’t the coach taken all the valuable players off ahead of time and let the scrubs fight for themselves? That’s what Ol Roy would have done.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Shouldn’t the coach taken all the valuable players off ahead of time and let the scrubs fight for themselves? That’s what Ol Roy would have done.
    it's also what coach K did last week...don't know for sure whether K had already left the floor at the end of the game, which was roy's mistake...not that he sent the starters back.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it's also what coach K did last week...don't know for sure whether K had already left the floor at the end of the game, which was roy's mistake...not that he sent the starters back.
    https://youtu.be/B9f99d-oLfo

Go to about the 1 hour, 30 minute mark if you don't want to enjoy watching the entire game

Basically, after the last rebound with 30s and State up 11, the coaches called the game. State dribbled past half court and ran off the clock as players on the cout slapped hands, Keats and K quickly shook hands and with 10-15s left Dukes entire bench and team headed for the exists.

In a game down to the last shot, I can see how it's an issue. That incident with Roy And the scrubs...never seen anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    https://youtu.be/B9f99d-oLfo

Go to about the 1 hour, 30 minute mark if you don't want to enjoy watching the entire game

Basically, after the last rebound with 30s and State up 11, the coaches called the game. State dribbled past half court and ran off the clock as players on the cout slapped hands, Keats and K quickly shook hands and with 10-15s left Dukes entire bench and team headed for the exists.

In a game down to the last shot, I can see how it's an issue. That incident with Roy And the scrubs...never seen anything like it.
    Yep. Coach K didn’t leave our walkons to the wolves (pun semi-intended) like Roy did.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep. Coach K didn’t leave our walkons to the wolves (pun semi-intended) like Roy did.
    Yeah, against NCState, Coach K didn't Sendek'em back to the locker room

Court storming is such a pointless and stupid thing to do I'm really baffled why it's still allowed. I certainly don't know all pro sports rules but the ones I watch don't allow this for good reason, should not be allowed to happen in college either. Heck, in high school where all we had was some volunteer ushers it was well know not to go onto the court until the opposing team had gotten off.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Court storming is such a pointless and stupid thing to do I'm really baffled why it's still allowed.
    It is not allowed. But a handful of people cannot stop thousands of people from overwhelming them.

I mean, it’s called storming the court.

I tend to side with the player in these types of situations. Keep in mind they have just played a tough, emotional game and given everything they have on the court. By definition, whenever the court is stormed you have a highly favored team who has been upset by a lesser opponent, and the players are understandably disappointed. Then you have thousands of people who have been screaming at you all game all of a sudden surrounding you in an environment of complete hysteria and minimal security. I can understand how tempers can run high and players would feel like they need to defend themselves.

As far as the State game, all of the CHeat fans I know claim that K and the team left the court early because he didn’t want to shake hands with Keatts because he’s such a sore loser. Obviously this is factually incorrect on multiple levels. It makes sense to get your players out of there ASAP when you know the court is about to be stormed.

I firmly believe that a team should be strict punishment for fans coming onto the court until after the other team has left. I don’t mean some BS 5k fine. I mean no fan at games or taking their loss away. It’ll force schools to take this seriously. Im cool with fans wanting to celebrate but not until the other team leaves.

Court storming is stupid. It's not fun anyway. Kids just want to go where they aren't normally allowed (on the court). Storming fields is stupid too, the only difference is that football fields are enormous. Basketball courts aren't big enough to take thousands of people mashing together like ants around a rotten chicken salad sandwich.

No one should be allowed to storm the Court. The proposed "fun" is not worth the risk of a college basketball player, or to a lesser extent, a fan who getting hurt while the court is being stormed.

Shut it down.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    That's exactly it. cameron protocol is to take almost every game day staff person in the building and form a wall between the benches and the rest of the court. There are not near enough staff in that video to ensure separation.
    Rushing the court happens when the home team pulls a big upset. There's never an upset, even a small one, when Duke wins at Cameron.

I'm curious as to what K and coaches tell the Duke players about getting off the court during a court storming. I suspect K has considered this and has a plan.

Probably something like - Keep your head up, look straight ahead, don't engage with anyone yelling at you, don't appear to hurry but move in a direct line to the exit, stick together.

Some of you may have played at a high enough level to have experienced a court storming. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Rushing the court happens when the home team pulls a big upset. There's never an upset, even a small one, when Duke wins at Cameron.
    Oh, it's not just for big upsets. Students have rushed the court plenty of times when Duke narrowly escapes an upset - like Sean Dockery's shot at the buzzer to beat Va Tech or Dave McClure's to beat Clemson.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Oh, it's not just for big upsets. Students have rushed the court plenty of times when Duke narrowly escapes an upset - like Sean Dockery's shot at the buzzer to beat Va Tech or Dave McClure's to beat Clemson.
    Doesn't Cameron allow folks to walk on the court after the game? So it's not really a storming, more like heading for the exists a bit enthusiastically?