Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 89, Wake Forest 71 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-13-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Alex in the first half from 3, Trent in the second half. Bagley a beast. Carter double-double. All good, would still like to see Grayson go off.

Sounds entitled to complain about an 18 ACC win, but that second half was painful to look at (except for GTJr.s stroke). Some to be concerned about going forward. But always much better than a loss

Always glad to get a win, especially when Coach is out sick. Good job, coach C!

Workmanlike win. Bagley was a beast as always, Alex with a nice showing, Gary hit the threes Wake was giving him, defense showing some improvement. Big test Monday night! Hope Grayson brings his jumper. His all-around floor game was superb today.

OK, students; where do we get those Marvin Bagley T-shirts?

Gotta have one! The sooner the better
    Last edited by WiJoe; 01-13-2018 at 02:14 PM.

I think the defense is improving as well. Still, poor decisions by Duval. Grayson - where is your 3 ball?

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    I think the defense is improving as well. Still, poor decisions by Duval. Grayson - where is your 3 ball?
    6 assists, 1 TO ... really?

Nice win. Bagley was unreal, Carter and Trent were great, and AOC got it going as he will do. Still, some sloppiness at times, but overall a nice momentum builder as we head to Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post

Paging Native. He usually knows what the kids are up to.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    Grayson - where is your 3 ball?
    A tough shooting game for Grayson Allen but he played a solid overall game with 12 rebounds, 8 assists and 1 steal.
    Bob Green

Co sign on this one. Those were tight.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Co sign on this one. Those were tight.
    Really? I thought maybe they made them in only one size. The one they zoomed in in looked pretty loose fitting and big on that girl. Not tight, Bagley.

good game, looks like the defense is actually starting to get better from game to game.
    When this team is making 3s, the offense looks really good.
    It looks like refs are really letting opponents hammer Bagley, and to a lesser extent Carter, when they get the ball 1 on 1.
    2 guys with double doubles, Grayson with 12 rebounds, but only 2 points.
    I like that our bench played pretty well. Alex lighting it up, Jack grabbing rebounds, Goldwire scoring on the break. HOwever, neither Vrank nor J-Rob looked particularly good.
    Good win, glad to see Duke above .500 in the league!

Stats are Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    6 assists, 1 TO ... really?
    Duval didn't just have one turnover, he threw three balls away on the break. Not sure how those are not turnovers on him but somehow the statistician missed that. Watch the tape.

Otherwise, he still forces the action on offense but his defense, especially at the top of the zone, really was solid today.

I loved how active the man to man was and also how balanced the defense was in the zone. After the first 8 minutes we settled down and really rotated well on defense.

Allen still can't find his shot but he had a great senior type game, managed the offense, passed well, stuffed the stat sheet in other ways.

The second half felt like the team grew up. It was a game where they could have easily let off the gas and allowed an inferior team to make a come back but Trent's 3's and Bagley just didn't allow it. Felt like a very professional, grown man kinda win even against a team with serious limitations. We should have won big and we did. That shows discipline and maturity. Two great things to see from this very young team.

Gonna be hard to get one - can't be sanctioned...

-jk

it's a head w/hair. Don't expect them to be sanctioned. It's like the Make America Grayson Again shirt. Generally, "sanctioned" shirts are weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauerwas View Post
    Duval didn't just have one turnover, he threw three balls away on the break. Not sure how those are not turnovers on him but somehow the statistician missed that. Watch the tape.

Otherwise, he still forces the action on offense but his defense, especially at the top of the zone, really was solid today.

I loved how active the man to man was and also how balanced the defense was in the zone. After the first 8 minutes we settled down and really rotated well on defense.

Allen still can't find his shot but he had a great senior type game, managed the offense, passed well, stuffed the stat sheet in other ways.

The second half felt like the team grew up. It was a game where they could have easily let off the gas and allowed an inferior team to make a come back but Trent's 3's and Bagley just didn't allow it. Felt like a very professional, grown man kinda win even against a team with serious limitations. We should have won big and we did. That shows discipline and maturity. Two great things to see from this very young team.
    You sure you aren't confusing Duval for Grayson regarding throwing it away on the break? Allen made a few poor decisions today in would-be fast break situations.

Only 71 points allowed in roughly 82 possessions. Against a good Wake offense? Yeah, I will take that.

Good to get the win and a dominant one at that. Virtually no scoring from Grayson so a lot of room for improvement there. If he is to earn a spot professionally, he will have to be a very good shooter. Something happened that is impacting his accuracy, don't know what. Bagley was great again. He is truely a super talent. Carter had a nice game and Gary Trent had his best showing to date from the 3 point line.

Two players that don't get much attention had interesting games. Jack White is a tough kid and gives a lot of effort defending and rebounding. Obviously he doesn't have the size of Vrank but in some ways his energy and speed are an improvement. Soon both DeLaurier and Bolden will be back soon and Jack will probably not see much game time but I feel comfortable with him in the game. Alex O'Connell is very energetic and has a nice shot and we saw today that he is capable of putting nice bench points. In the second half he fell back into making passes when he probably should have shot and I believe a couple of plays of that type got him back on the bench. Nevertheless, both have a lot to offer and give the team the depth that coach K seems to indicate doesn't exist on the team.

An area for improvement is avoidance of swoons at times. Last two games they seemed to have a period in the second half that they lost their impetus. Maybe being up by so much made them complacement but I do notice the tendency occurs with the starters in.