Page 68 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 3602
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's very good news, but we have to actually get those doses manufactured...I suspect Pfizer can pull it off, not so sure about Moderna...
    Agreed... I wish the US had bought 400 million doses from Pfizer and 200 million from Moderna. These vaccines are some of the most prudent purchases our government will ever make.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Agreed... I wish the US had bought 400 million doses from Pfizer and 200 million from Moderna. These vaccines are some of the most prudent purchases our government will ever make.
    Prudent - and fortunate. No one knew at the time if the vaccines would work or be safe. We were hoping for a base hit and got two homers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Prudent - and fortunate. No one knew at the time if the vaccines would work or be safe. We were hoping for a base hit and got two homers.
    For sure we got two homers, but are having a bit of trouble rounding the bases...they need to improve their* distribution, and not have millions of doses languishing in warehouses. Let's hope they do.

*Operation Not Quite Warp Speed is who I'm referring to here...not Moderna or Pfizer

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Absolutely, and, IMO, investors should adjust their portfolios accordingly.

I was surprised that Pfizer's stock price has been dropping for a few weeks. Looked at a 5 year chart though and I can see that where it's at now is pretty good. Looking at a 1 month chart...not pretty

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I was surprised that Pfizer's stock price has been dropping for a few weeks. Looked at a 5 year chart though and I can see that where it's at now is pretty good. Looking at a 1 month chart...not pretty
    My Astro-Zeneca stock hasn't done what I hoped either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My Astro-Zeneca stock hasn't done what I hoped either.
    May have something to do with that old Wall Street adage: "buy on the rumor; sell on the news".

for some of these ultra large pharma companies, the whole Covid vaccine thing is not necessarily a big money maker that will change overall financials a great deal...lots of competitors out there...and lots of other drugs they sell.

for some of these ultra large pharma companies, the whole Covid vaccine thing is not necessarily a big money maker that will change overall financials a great deal...lots of competitors out there...and lots of other drugs they sell.
    Not to mention that it is likely a one-time impact to their earnings and hopefully not a steady flow of revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Not to mention that it is likely a one-time impact to their earnings and hopefully not a steady flow of revenue.
    yes indeedy, of course this has been the trend in Pharma for decades now. They used to make their money by developing stuff like antibiotics, vaccines, etc...then they figured out what they want is a revenue stream that lasts forever (or until you die), medication you take every day, on and on, e.g. blockbusters like statins...of course many of the medications aren't all that wonderful for you...one of the ploys I've seen is getting folks onto opioids (hello, Sackler family!) which you take long term, THEN they prescribe a medication you take every day (of course) to fight the constipation opioids cause, what a win win.

The money will be in future therapeutics using the knowledge they learned from making these all new vaccines. Stuff like individually tailored cancer treatments is the big promise (holy grail?) of mRNA treatments.

I get a tickler every morning in my work inbox with the values of all major indexes and how they are doing YTD - not complicated math but always interesting info to see. On the last day of the year, here is where they stand:

DJ: up 6.16%
    S&P500: up 15.19%
    NASDAQ: up 46.45%

Taking it a step further, here is how they are vs. their 52 week lows in March (I did this math myself - putting that Duke degree to work):

DJ: up 66.96%
    S&P500: up 70.27%
    NASDAQ: up 93.7%

So theoretically if you went all cash in mid-February and put it all back in in indexes in mid-March, it could have been a truly incredible year. And if you stuck with it for the entire year and didn't get too scared in March, it was still a very nice year in equities.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I get a tickler every morning in my work inbox with the values of all major indexes and how they are doing YTD - not complicated math but always interesting info to see. On the last day of the year, here is where they stand:

DJ: up 6.16%
    S&P500: up 15.19%
    NASDAQ: up 46.45%

Taking it a step further, here is how they are vs. their 52 week lows in March (I did this math myself - putting that Duke degree to work):

DJ: up 66.96%
    S&P500: up 70.27%
    NASDAQ: up 93.7%

So theoretically if you went all cash in mid-February and put it all back in in indexes in mid-March, it could have been a truly incredible year. And if you stuck with it for the entire year and didn't get too scared in March, it was still a very nice year in equities.
    . . . and if you panicked and pulled your equity position when the crash came in the spring, you missed the boat big-time.

Keep an age-appropriate range balance, invest for the long haul, don't get too high or too low. Steady and constant wins the race -- or at least finishes well enough over time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    . . . and if you panicked and pulled your equity position when the crash came in the spring, you missed the boat big-time.

Keep an age-appropriate range balance, invest for the long haul, don't get too high or too low. Steady and constant wins the race -- or at least finishes well enough over time.
    Most successful people control their emotions and understand their limitations. Personal greed and fear are an investor’s Achilles. Most investors should primarily own index funds and spend substantially more time learning about finance. Most investors don’t truly understand finance and knowledge is usually rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Most successful people control their emotions and understand their limitations. Personal greed and fear are an investor’s Achilles. Most investors should primarily own index funds and spend substantially more time learning about finance. Most investors don’t truly understand finance and knowledge is usually rewarded.
    For 98% of people, this is the best advice.

Best trade ever...????

Every once in a while you get a lottery ticket and you don't even know it. In February of this year, I bought this:

Screenshot 2021-01-01 071449.jpg

There was a 5-1 split in August. 1 contract for TSLA at $1800 becomes 5 contracts at $360. Last trade of a March 19, 2021 $360 call option on December 31st was at 327.65^. I'll let someone else do the math.

*FWIW, I no longer hold that/those call options, I won't say what I sold it at but I did sell it pre-split and will say that I'm now short TSLA. This wasn't my best trade ever unfortunately.
    ^According to Yahoo! Finance

As soon as the nice Nigerian man cashes my check for $3,000, I'm going to rich beyond imagination! Eat your hearts out!

As soon as the nice Nigerian man cashes my check for $3,000, I'm going to rich beyond imagination! Eat your hearts out!
    Great news, he already cashed it!

Don’t consider myself an expert by any means.

Mostly in index funds with a few small direct holding positions in industries/companies I have some understanding.

Always learning.

I’m still struggling massively with Bitcoin and cryptocurrency. I can’t get past what feels like the Ponzi scheme nature of it, in spite of really smart people I respect like Brian Roemmele being strong advocates and watching a lot of people crow about massive gains.
    Not sure what I am missing - feels beyond super high risk and more like gambling / lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Don’t consider myself an expert by any means.

Mostly in index funds with a few small direct holding positions in industries/companies I have some understanding.

Always learning.

I’m still struggling massively with Bitcoin and cryptocurrency. I can’t get past what feels like the Ponzi scheme nature of it, in spite of really smart people I respect like Brian Roemmele being strong advocates and watching a lot of people crow about massive gains.
    Not sure what I am missing - feels beyond super high risk and more like gambling / lottery.
    I'm with you on cryptocurrency. It may well turn out to be the best thing ever, but I try not to invest in stuff that I don't, to a great extent, understand, and bitcoin is in that realm for me.