Page 64 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 3625
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    KBE up 15% and KRE up 17% today...yowzah!
    I keep looking at my calendar to make certain this last week is still part of 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, much like March, this seems like a very appropriate time to make adjustments in your portfolio composition. The significant probability of a highly effective vaccine and divided congress present a very different landscape than just a week ago.

Not really completely true. Donald Trump has been telling people for the last six months that, as soon as the election was over, all sorts of good news about Covid would appear. I'm angry that I didn't trade on his "insight".

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Not really completely true. Donald Trump has been telling people for the last six months that, as soon as the election was over, all sorts of good news about Covid would appear. I'm angry that I didn't trade on his "insight".
    I’m angry that I did trade on his first “insight” after being elected. He surprised me when he mentioned he wanted very substantial infrastructure spending, which should have been rather easy to sell across the aisle. I bought two infrastructure stocks, the same day as his speech, and they are still worth less than I paid four years ago. That was his last “insight” I traded upon.

I’m angry that I did trade on his first “insight” after being elected. He surprised me when he mentioned he wanted very substantial infrastructure spending, which should have been rather easy to sell across the aisle. I bought two infrastructure stocks, the same day as his speech, and they are still worth less than I paid four years ago.
    LOL, yea, sorry to hear about that. I guess like most of the market "pundits", DT is NOT ALWAYS correct in his predictions (but I would have bet too that at that time that there would have been a substantial infrastructure spending bill passed and in the works by now).

(but I would have bet too that at that time that there would have been a substantial infrastructure spending bill passed and in the works by now).
    Especially, given the massive need and historical low borrowing rates!

Leave it to a bunch of politicians to muck up a great idea!

Especially, given the massive need and historical low borrowing rates!

Leave it to a bunch of politicians to muck up a great idea!
    Yea, totally crazy (although I have always been somewhat skeptical and cynical about these massive government spending bills - very hard for the "bureaucrats" in Washington to efficiently and effectively manage and distribute the funds around the country. I lived in Boston during the 1980's when the federal and state government began the "Big Dig" project, originally estimated to cost $2.8 billion and to take four years to complete and it ended up costing over $17 billion and taking 10 or 11 years to finish (and now riddled with all sorts of engineering and construction problems) - and 90% funded by the federal government, thanks to Tip O'Neil.

Yea, totally crazy (although I have always been somewhat skeptical and cynical about these massive government spending bills - very hard for the "bureaucrats" in Washington to efficiently and effectively manage and distribute the funds around the country. I lived in Boston during the 1980's when the federal and state government began the "Big Dig" project, originally estimated to cost $2.8 billion and to take four years to complete and it ended up costing over $17 billion and taking 10 or 11 years to finish (and now riddled with all sorts of engineering and construction problems) - and 90% funded by the federal government, thanks to Tip O'Neil.
    I strongly agree! Imagine how many of Tony Soprano’s friends got a piece of the $17 billion.

I’m afraid the US Government will never again put another public works program together as good as the New Deal’s.

I strongly agree! Imagine how many of Tony Soprano’s friends got a piece of the $17 billion.

I’m afraid the US Government will never again put another public works program together as good as the New Deal’s.
    Yea, there were many, many individuals who went to prison over bribes and other financial malfeasance on the Big Dig project. For awhile, it was a field day in Boston for the prosecutors and criminal defense lawyers.

yes, and even when they are well intentioned, it often takes forever to actually design projects and then begin work, which means the cash doesn't get to the people who need it very quickly. Often takes a year or more. For sure a lot of the projects deserve being built, but they're too slow to ease unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, and even when they are well intentioned, it often takes forever to actually design projects and then begin work, which means the cash doesn't get to the people who need it very quickly. Often takes a year or more. For sure a lot of the projects deserve being built, but they're too slow to ease unemployment.
    True, there’s always a long lead time! IMO, a very substantial 2021 Infrastructure Bill could help offset some of the many jobs which will be lost to AI over the next decade.

True, there’s always a long lead time! IMO, a 2021 Infrastructure Bill could help offset some of the many jobs which will be lost to AI over the next decade.
    And for sure we have so many horrific roads, bridges and airports that need major, major work...maybe Joe and Mitch can work this out, infrastructure projects spread the dough around all 50 states...though I must ask, will the GOP be worried about deficits once again in the post Trump world?

And for sure we have so many horrific roads, bridges and airports that need major, major work...maybe Joe and Mitch can work this out, infrastructure projects spread the dough around all 50 states...though I must ask, will the GOP be worried about deficits once again in the post Trump world?

LOL, is the Pope Catholic? Do bears _ _ _ _ in the woods?

...though I must ask, will the GOP be worried about deficits once again in the post Trump world?
    They have certainly been willing to spend the last four years. And, at historically low interest rates, there’s never been a better time for long term borrowing.

[/B]
    LOL, is the Pope Catholic? Do bears _ _ _ _ in the woods?
    ha, i'm just trying to stay within the lines here, I think we both know the answer.

[/B]
    LOL, is the Pope Catholic?
    Do Jesuits count? (Some in my parish would dispute that, in a “not really kidding” sort of way)

ha, i'm just trying to stay within the lines here, I think we both know the answer.
    I understand...but hypocrisy has never been in short supply in DC.

I understand...but hypocrisy has never been in short supply in DC.
    Absolutely, money buys many a politician.

Why is this thread much more active when the market is falling? Misery likes company?

Why is this thread much more active when the market is falling? Misery likes company?
    I guess, or we are all waiting for the other shoe to drop. I play with stocks at a very low level (just a few grand) but wanted to thank you for the CMA and CFG mentions on this thread. Of course I'll probably hold on to them too long and be lucky to break even but right now it's a few bucks on paper. Before this year I hadn't bought or sold anything outside of my company's shares from my ESPP in about 20 years. But I bought a few things that might have been unusually cheap due to Covid this year thinking that I could hold them for a year or so and cash out.

Also being in this thread is a good reminder to me that I need to meet with my financial advisor...

it's bad luck to celebrate one's gains I suppose...i'm mum when I'm doing well.