Page 17 of 181 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think you're on the Foothills of some great earnings...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I wouldn’t give two Hoots about it, except making my money work for me (instead of vice versa) is very much on my Radar.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Certainly not Incendiary comments.
    Wait a darn minute! What in the Coors Light are you two up to, exactly?!?!
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 01-19-2020 at 08:53 AM.

[Originally Posted by devildeac:
    I think you're on the Foothills of some great earnings...
    Originally Posted by Tripping William:
    I wouldn’t give two Hoots about it, except making my money work for me (instead of vice versa) is very much on my Radar.
    Originally Posted by devildeac:
    Certainly not Incendiary comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Wait a darn minute! What in the Coors Light are you two up two, exactly?!?!
    I’m pretty sure they are talking about investments in Winston Salem, not Golden, Colorado. 🙄😂

I wonder if the shine is off Krispy Kreme...

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Long since off. A private equity company (that also owns Panera, among other businesses) bought them several years ago, and largely moved the headquarters to Charlotte.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

They never found the warehouse with the missing donuts.

Wait a darn minute! What in the Coors Light are you two up to, exactly?!?!
    We just have a Small Batch of puns to make. It's not like we're as crazy as a Fiddlin' Fish.

Long since off. A private equity company (that also owns Panera, among other businesses) bought them several years ago, and largely moved the headquarters to Charlotte.
    as long as they don't get rid of those marvelous Kristy Kreme chairs at Wake...I always was taken aback by the meteoric rise of KK given all the years it was just a basic 7-11 staple...

We just have a Small Batch of puns to make. It's not like we're as crazy as a Fiddlin' Fish.
    Listen, if I ask my barkeep to open up an IRA and my financial advisor to open an IPA for me, I know where I’m sending the blame!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    as long as they don't get rid of those marvelous Kristy Kreme chairs at Wake...I always was taken aback by the meteoric rise of KK given all the years it was just a basic 7-11 staple...
    Krispy Kreme’s rise to me is an interesting example of the laws of scarcity. (I’m probably not using that term correctly in context.)

As a regional specialty, like In n Out Burger (plenty of examples), Krispy Kreme had a level of reputation and notoriety.

It amazes me when I read things like if you have a Starbucks on all 4 corners of an intersection, each store makes more money, not less.

So Krispy Kreme expands, experiences some success in major markets, and comes back to earth.

What is becoming more fascinating to me is the artificial scarcity being generated by Bitcoin, Ethereum and all the blockchain based digital currencies.

I guess its not really that different from fiat currency, I am having a real hard time bending my brain around “bitcoin is worth $70,000” just because someone else says so. One day, the neuron in my brain will fire, and the light bulb will go off on why stock, gold, and bitcoin are investment grade considerations.

Brian Roemmell (sp?) has a great article he referenced that I am still puzzling over. The math appears sound even if I don’t agree with the logic (of artificial scarcity of digital currency).

https://medium.com/@100trillionUSD/modeling-bitcoins-value-with-scarcity-91fa0fc03e25

It was never "just a basic 7-11 staple". "Hot Now" was always where it was at! If your only experience with KK was 7-11 - or fundraisers - well, sorry.

-jk

Krispy Kreme’s rise to me is an interesting example of the laws of scarcity. (I’m probably not using that term correctly in context.)

As a regional specialty, like In n Out Burger (plenty of examples), Krispy Kreme had a level of reputation and notoriety.

It amazes me when I read things like if you have a Starbucks on all 4 corners of an intersection, each store makes more money, not less.

So Krispy Kreme expands, experiences some success in major markets, and comes back to earth.

What is becoming more fascinating to me is the artificial scarcity being generated by Bitcoin, Ethereum and all the blockchain based digital currencies.

I guess its not really that different from fiat currency, I am having a real hard time bending my brain around “bitcoin is worth $70,000” just because someone else says so. One day, the neuron in my brain will fire, and the light bulb will go off on why stock, gold, and bitcoin are investment grade considerations.

Brian Roemmell (sp?) has a great article he referenced that I am still puzzling over. The math appears sound even if I don’t agree with the logic (of artificial scarcity of digital currency).

https://medium.com/@100trillionUSD/m...y-91fa0fc03e25
    Hmm, artificial scarcity, bitcoin.

I just had a thought. Anyone want to go in on bitdiamonds? Get in on the ground, or underground floor?

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    It was never "just a basic 7-11 staple". "Hot Now" was always where it was at! If your only experience with KK was 7-11 - or fundraisers - well, sorry.

-jk
    Agreed. The Hot Light has always been their driving force.

They got taken down a peg by two main phenomena: (1) the allegations of accounting shenanigans; and (b) an untimely (for them) wave of health-consciousness. Not necessarily in that order.

Listen, if I ask my barkeep to open up an IRA and my financial advisor to open an IPA for me, I know where I’m sending the blame!
    No doubt. And devildeac will deserve every bit of it.

I think you are on to an exciting new business model where your FA has a bar in the office instead of a Keurig machine. 🤣

I think you are on to an exciting new business model where your FA has a bar in the office instead of a Keurig machine. 🤣
    That actually sounds like a totally viable business model. Any advisor (save for fee-only people) would love for their clients to be buzzing a little to break down their reluctance to sign up for expensive and entangling financial products.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    no sir, I'm talking about 50+ years ago which I think may well be before your time...there was no "hot now" in the stores then, at least the vast majority of them, just some donuts on a shelf...in fact (at least in the Durham area) there were precious few, if any, KK stores, just convenience stores where KKs were offered. Van drove around, dumped them off, no mystique at all. Them someone in NYC ate one...
    Last edited by budwom; 01-19-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Then someone in NYC ate one...
    Are you sure it wasn't New Jersey? While visiting the University of New Jersey, Durham, NC campus?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't New Jersey? While visiting the University of New Jersey, Durham, NC campus?
    could be! Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall any Durham KK store (with the hot light) in the late sixties. I did, however, get invited to a KKK rally by my boss at the Suit Outlet on Chapel Hill Blvd, but I chose not to go, hence don't know if they had a Hot Now light or not. Hot cross buns?

could be! Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall any Durham KK store (with the hot light) in the late sixties. I did, however, get invited to a KKK rally by my boss at the Suit Outlet on Chapel Hill Blvd, but I chose not to go, hence don't know if they had a Hot Now light or not. Hot cross buns?
    Wow. A lot to unpack there on MLK weekend.

could be! Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall any Durham KK store (with the hot light) in the late sixties.
    There was certainly a KK store in Fayetteville on Bragg Boulevard. You could get a dozen to go moments after they were made.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wow. A lot to unpack there on MLK weekend.
    Timely eh? The Suit Outlet was near White's Grocery (aptly named) which I learned after the fact was a KKK hot spot. My boss initially told me that "some of us are getting together tonight and I wondered if you might want to join us."
    When I asked for more detail, it became evident what he was talking about. Found another job.